if you eat something after midnight do you add to todays food diary or yesterdays ?

Options
I have eaten a small snack but was wondering do I add to today's diary or yesterdays diary

Replies

• Jazzykatt
    Jazzykatt Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I add it to the next day.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I look for a weekly deficit, so I'm not terribly worried if I go over on one specific day. I would probably Log it on today's.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I go by sleep. If I haven't gone to bed yet, it's today's food. It's just preference. :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I log it on "yesterday's" diary. I'm a night owl and as far as I'm concerned, my day starts when I wake up and ends when I go to sleep.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I add it to the previous day but that's just me, my body runs on a different clock than most :) So for the purpose of my diary, I use a cut off of my usual bedtime, which is well after midnight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I do wake-up to sleep, regardless of whether the day changes or not. I'm logging MY day of eating. :)
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I replied to this but it didn't post so I will try again. My day is from wake up, till when I go to bed. If I haven't slept yet, my day isn't over.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Midnight =12 a.m. = new day
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    I add to previous day (when it rarely, rarely, happens). I don't eat anything after about 8:00.... your body doesn't have the time it needs to process it..... midnight snacking not good!!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I log it on "yesterday's" diary. I'm a night owl and as far as I'm concerned, my day starts when I wake up and ends when I go to sleep.

This is what I do, too. Though eating after midnight isn't a very frequent thing for me.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I just add it to the diary and let the app figure out what day it is. The only reason it makes any sense to worry about it is because you don't want one day or the other to go over the limit. But you still ate it, no matter what day you record it on.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    As others say, it doesn't matter much.

For me the day ends when I go to bed, whether that's at 11 PM or 3 AM.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    doesn't really matter, weekly totals are what matters.
  • ooh_barracuda
    ooh_barracuda Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter, as long as you are consistent with it. I go by 'one waking day'.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters, but any fitbit stats after midnight go to the next day. I can't remember eating after midnight, but if I did I would do it the same way. It's just easier to keep track of.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I have eaten a small snack but was wondering do I add to today's diary or yesterdays diary

Since I work overnights, I consider a day from midnight to midnight since it lines up with my fitbit. If I eat after midnight, it is logged as the next day.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My day starts when I wake up, so if I eat late, I count it for that day, not the next. Just preference. :)
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    It depends if I have calories left from the previous day or not. If I do have calories left, I'd rather log it in the previous day so as not to take away from the calories available to me the next day. Come evening the next day, I might not be too happy and may be tempted to "borrow" calories to eat from the next day after that!

• undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I used to log them for the next day, but if I'm ingesting calories after midnight they'll likely be in liquid form and I didn't like the idea of bourbon showing up in my breakfast entry. It just looks weird.
    On the other hand, and in practical terms, I think it might be more useful and proactive to count late snacks as food for the next day - especially if it's a somewhat indulgent/"unhealthy" snack that might put you over your calorie limit. That way, you can plan your meals to account for that snack today instead of having regrets about a blown goal yesterday.
  • angelinhell
    angelinhell Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    It depends if I have calories left from the previous day or not. If I do have calories left, I'd rather log it in the previous day so as not to take away from the calories available to me the next day. Come evening the next day, I might not be too happy and may be tempted to "borrow" calories to eat from the next day after that!

Same! Lol.