Weights/Dumbells advice

Options
Hi all,

Wondering if I could have some advice.

I want to tone my upper arms and get rid of my bingo wings!! I go to the gym a few times a week but I mainly do cardio, I want to purchase some dumbells to do a few exercises with at home in the evenings.

What sort of weight would you recommend I start with? Any tips welcome!

Thanks!

Replies

• Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'd personally recommend getting a set of the adjustable ones that have cuffs and removable weights so that you can increase the weight as your strength grows, and use different weights depending on what muscle group you're working.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Driagnor wrote: »
    I'd personally recommend getting a set of the adjustable ones that have cuffs and removable weights so that you can increase the weight as your strength grows, and use different weights depending on what muscle group you're working.

+1
    Have a look at these for example....
    http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/gym-equipment/dumbbells-kettlebells/dumbbells/interchangable-dumbbell-sets?viewall=1&p=1
  • GlenG1969
    GlenG1969 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As Driagnor said buy some cheap dumbbells with either spring or threaded collars, which you can adjust up and down in weight.

If you dont want to spend any money why not start with a few bodyweight exercises at home, such as press ups from a kneeling positon, chair dips, bean tin bicep curls etc.

Or if you are happy enough start your cardio sessions at the gym, with a few basic tricep and bicep moves for 15-20 min then move onto your cardio?
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Your arms are just like any other muscle in that they respond to best by lifting heavy to build muscle, so you need to incorporate a compound movement. In addition to an array of dumbbell, get yourself and EZ curl bar and at least two 2.5, 5, 25, 35 lbs (maybe) standard plates. Buy four. 10lbs plates. If you are really serious, also invest in a preacher bench, learn the form, and grind the eccentric phase out. Otherwise check into an Arm Blaster. Chances are you will be lifting at lighter weights so I'd recommend reps within the range of 8 to 12 and 3 to 4 sets per exercise and at least 3 or 4 exercises like drag curls, concentration curls, hammer curls in addition to the standard curl.

And don't forget your triceps, they make up a great deal of the mass of your arms.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Driagnor wrote: »

+1
    Have a look at these for example....
    http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/gym-equipment/dumbbells-kettlebells/dumbbells/interchangable-dumbbell-sets?viewall=1&p=1

I, too, recommend something like these. I got a set from Amazon that have 105# of plates and then lucked out with free shipping. Someday in the future you might want to add a bar and if you do, you can use the same plates and just add to your collection as you go along.

For your arms, first keep in mind that you can't spot reduce so some of the improvements come just after overall fat loss. Second, I am a big fan of pushups (even if you have to start with modified form), dips (again, modified on a bench if necessary), dumbbell rows, and (assisted) pullups/chin ups or another similar exercise like inverted rows, which can be modified based on leg placement for your fitness level.

• anihod
    anihod Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice and tips everyone!
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I do mostly cardio and I have a 4 sets of dumbbells 10/20/30/40 lbs. and a very old bench. I'm over 50 so my days of building mass are behind me. Focus on basic movements and add an isolation exercise for the back of the arms. I recommend the triceps kickback or the French press to improve the back of the arms.
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I know this is a little different but I am doing Focus T25 right now. I really like it because I get cardio along with the weights all at once. I really only need 12 lb dumbbells. I think the women in the videos use 5 or 8 lbs. I am seeing a ton of results too.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Last year, I was banned from lower body lifting by my physical therapist.
    So I talked to the personal trainer at my gym at work and he gave me ideas using the equipment they had - which most of you can do at home with dumbbells:
    - curls 2x15
    - decline curls 3x13
    - 21s 3 sets
    - tricep rope extension 3x15 - you can't do this one but there's an overhead tricep thing you could do, I'm 90% sure it's called "overhead tricep extension"
    - tricep kickbacks 3x12
    - skull crushers 3x12
    - overhead press 3x12
    - arnold press 3x12
    - front raise 3x10
    - lateral raise 3x10
    - lat pulldown with varying grip widths - you can't do this one
    - row/rear delt - it's a weight stack machine but you can do one-armed dumbbell rows instead 3x12

stay away from Cuban press. I made the physical therapists cringe when I demonstrated it. no so good for the shoulders according to them