Sugar

Options
I am currently eating as little processed food as possible, I'm eating meat or fish with veg and porridge with fruit, I do not have any processed sugar but I am really struggling to keep under or even near the RDA for sugar. Today I have had porridge oats with a handful of blueberrries and a small banana and am already over the RDA. How can I reduce sugar but keep fruit in my diet?

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to reduce it, specifically? Do you have a medical issue that caused your doctor to advise it?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You can change the categories that you track in your food diary. I prefer to track fibre rather than sugar which is only a subset of carbs.
  • Andipandi48
    Andipandi48 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to reduce it, specifically? Do you have a medical issue that caused your doctor to advise it?

No medical condition but 24g is the daily recommended allowance for a female adult
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

No medical condition but 24g is the daily recommended allowance for a female adult

I ask because, absent such medical issues, sugar is just another carbohydrate.
  • Andipandi48
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You can change the categories that you track in your food diary. I prefer to track fibre rather than sugar which is only a subset of carbs.

I'm trying to keep within all categories to keep a healthy diet.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Where did you get this figure? The NHS Choice pages recommends 10% of daily calories to come from sugar, so for a 2000 calorie diet this would be 50g sugar per day.

Sometimes 24g is quoted as a recommended intake of added sugars. The sugar in your fruit is not added sugar.
  • Andipandi48
    Options

Forgive my ignorance but just really getting into watching what is IN what I eat rather than just what I eat. I assumed too much sugar is bad for me. This says that a small banana and some blueberries is too much!
  • Andipandi48
    Options

Where did you get this figure? The NHS Choice pages recommends 10% of daily calories to come from sugar, so for a 2000 calorie diet this would be 50g sugar per day.

Sometimes 24g is quoted as a recommended intake of added sugars. The sugar in your fruit is not added sugar.

This is the figure given by fitness pal on a 1250 cal per day diet.
  • Andipandi48
    Options

This is the figure given by fitness pal on a 1250 cal per day diet.
    herrspoons wrote: »
    It doesn't matter. Keep below your calorie limit.
    herrspoons wrote: »
    It doesn't matter. Keep below your calorie limit.

And ignore the sugar recommendation?
  • Andipandi48
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has commented I feel better now about continuing to eat fruit (in moderation) as part of my healthy eating plan ( which will hopefully also help me lose weight)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    There will be a raging argument erupting shortly in this thread, it happens in every sugar thread. I'll get this in early......if you have no underlying medical condition, don't worry about sugar, at least for now. Focus on calories and as you read and learn more, you can adjust your macros as you see fit. The bottom line with any diet is, can you maintain it long term. Can you only eat 24g of sugar the rest of your life? Do what fits your diet and lifestyle best. Ignore the coming @&$t storm.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Read, read read!!!! Read up on both sides of this debate and make an informed decision. Don't let anyone persuade you one way or the other, don't depend on an Internet message board for your info. You can get info here, but always do your own DD.
  • Fuchsiagenii
    Options
    I have noticed that total sugars are all types of sugar, lactose, fructose, glucose, etc.

Having a small banana is fine. Having a handful of blueberries is fine.

You do not say what type of porridge you are eating. The ready made ones contain added sugar, you would have to read the ingredients of the product that you were eating.

A 40g portion of 100% wholemeal rolled oats is 150 calories with 24g of carbohydrates with 0.4g of sugar.

If you add 300ml of semi skimmed milk this is 291 calories which has 38.4g of carbohydrates, of which sugars is 14.8g.

Milk contains lactose which is a type of sugar.

So it depends on what type of fluid you add to the oats.
    You may consider having the porridge with the blueberries for breakfast and have the banana as a mid morning snack, for example.

It also depends on the quantity. It is the simple carbs like sugar, cakes, biscuits, processed foods, fruit juices, fizzy drinks and alcohol that you need to be careful with.
    These will all spike your blood sugars up very quickly and then drop very quickly.

Hope that helps.
  • Andipandi48
    Options
    I have noticed that total sugars are all types of sugar, lactose, fructose, glucose, etc.

You do not say what type of porridge you are eating. The ready made ones contain added sugar, you would have to read the ingredients of the product that you were eating.

A 40g portion of 100% wholemeal rolled oats is 150 calories with 24g of carbohydrates with 0.4g of sugar.

If you add 300ml of semi skimmed milk this is 291 calories which has 38.4g of carbohydrates, of which sugars is 14.8g.

You may consider having the porridge with the blueberries for breakfast and have the banana as a mid morning snack, for example.

It also depends on the quantity. It is the simple carbs like sugar, cakes, biscuits, processed foods, fruit juices, fizzy drinks and alcohol that you need to be careful with.
    These will all spike your blood sugars up very quickly and then drop very quickly.

Hope that helps.
    I use 35g whole rolled oats with water Hense fruit to sweeten. . Again thanks to everyone who has commented.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Forgive my ignorance but just really getting into watching what is IN what I eat rather than just what I eat. I assumed too much sugar is bad for me. This says that a small banana and some blueberries is too much!

if you do not have medical condition than sugar is not bad for you ..

don't believe all the hyped up media garbage….

I eat about 100 grams of sugar a day and have no issues with health, lose/gaining/maintaining weight, etc...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Hope that helps.

LOL …protein spikes insulin too …do you need to be careful with that?????
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I am currently eating as little processed food as possible, I'm eating meat or fish with veg and porridge with fruit, I do not have any processed sugar but I am really struggling to keep under or even near the RDA for sugar. Today I have had porridge oats with a handful of blueberrries and a small banana and am already over the RDA. How can I reduce sugar but keep fruit in my diet?

Eat lower sugar fruits such as berries. Bananas are a high sugar fruit.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    there are some fruits (i call them tropical fruits) such as banana, mango, pineapple, etc. which are higher in sugars, so you could just avoid those if you are worried about it. i don't even have sugar on my list of foods (in MFP), i don't record it at all. personally, as long as it's in my calories, i don't worry about sugars. i do not eat "table sugar" the only sugars i'm getting are from whole foods, so to me, those don't count.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,899 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Hope that helps.

LOL …protein spikes insulin too …do you need to be careful with that?????
    True, but insulin on it's own doesn't deliver glucose to the bloodstream.