Runner looking to add strength training

Options
Hello, I run 4 days a week. Saturday is my long run days. I am looking to add weights 2 days a week. I was wondering if there was a schedule that I should follow? Is there a anything online I can find? I have free weights at home (which is where I work out) that go up to 75lbs each. I know I am no where close to lifting that at this time, but maybe one day. ;)

I am looking to gain strength as running is giving me endurance. Also having some killer muscle tone won't hurt either. hehe :p

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    A simple full body strength programme like Stronglifts 5x5 would be a good place to start. There are two workouts, A and B, so this would be fine for a 2-day per week lifting schedule.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I both run and lift. I lift on weekdays between my running days. If and when you do decide to lift, be careful of doing intense leg workouts the day before a long run. Your legs will be more tired. :)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Tuesday Thursday should work as your lifting days
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

They also have an app
    It only has 2 workouts A and B
    It would work perfectly on a 2 day /week schedule.

If you want a little more than that you can look at
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    It also has an A and B workout so would work with your schedule.

Follow either of these programs, you'll find with squats and deadlifts that you will run through 75lbs in a hurry.

Best of luck
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was looking to do Tuesday/Thursday for lifting.
  • av8roc
    av8roc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I have my first half marathon in May and I've been running about 30mi a week but I wanted to add strength training to my routine. I started p90x3 last week. I feel good and my runs thus far have shown improvement. I'm just concerned that my running program will be too much doing 6 days a week of p90x3 at the same time.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    av8roc wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. I have my first half marathon in May and I've been running about 30mi a week but I wanted to add strength training to my routine. I started p90x3 last week. I feel good and my runs thus far have shown improvement. I'm just concerned that my running program will be too much doing 6 days a week of p90x3 at the same time.
    I just ran a half marathon this past Sunday. The only real change I made was to stop doing any leg work the last few weeks because it was affecting my runs, which were all over 7 miles by then. My legs were just tired and it made my runs difficult. It probably wouldn't have really affected my performance come race day, and might even have helped, but it made it mentally tough for me to get out there and put in the miles after work three days each week when my legs were already tired before I'd gone a half mile.

I haven't done P90X, so I don't know the routines, but the only concern I would have is if it's got high impact movements (jumping, bouncing, etc.). You want to do something low-impact on the days between running so your joints have a chance to recover. You don't want an overuse injury to completely derail your training program. Otherwise, trust me, your body will let you know if you're doing too much. The trick is to realize it before you end up with an injury.

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I do a few hours of running and a few hours of strength training per week. For the strength training, I do "push" day (all push motions, primarily chest and delts), "pull" day (biceps, tris, back), and legs. On days when I do both at the same time, I always do strength training first, as it is safer lifting heavy weights while fresh and then doing cardio afterwards.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    SueInAz is hitting the nail on the head. There are a lot of good reasons to lift: strength, injury prevention (probably), keeping things fresh and fun, definitely better muscle definition. But it does impact your running. You are much slower the day after a day lifting and working your legs. And so that run is harder. If you feel like doing it at all. Then, if you have to schedule your runs away from the lifting, you can end up missing running days. It gets a bit tricky.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I run 3 days (MWF) and lift TThSu.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Jackpot!

I have been looking for ages for a 2 day a week, full body running strength training work out. I've seen several MFP friends logging this 5X5, but I've never thought to ask about it. Now, looking at it via the links here, I think I've found it. Gonna try this starting tomorrow, my days planned are Mon & Thur. Would I do A on Mon, then B on Thu?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

Yes. The P90x3 "Eccentric Lower" workout is stellar bodyweight strength training for runners, and the general warmup with dynamic stretches (see e.g. MMX) covers a large chunk of the hip flexibility/strength exercises that can help prevent injury.

I'd be careful with the jumpier workouts like CVX and Agility, though.

I really like P90X3. I'm sticking to running for my cardio right now (marathon training), but I'll be back.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    If you're not wedded to the idea of using weights to build strength, I would recommend calisthenics as a good way to go. I like startbodyweight.com programme, and imagine it would fit in quite well a couple of days a week between your running :smile:
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    A simple full body strength programme like Stronglifts 5x5 would be a good place to start. There are two workouts, A and B, so this would be fine for a 2-day per week lifting schedule.

If your primary focus is running and using resistance-training to improve running performance, then this really is a good option and definitely just go twice a week.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I just ran a half marathon this past Sunday. The only real change I made was to stop doing any leg work the last few weeks because it was affecting my runs, which were all over 7 miles by then. My legs were just tired and it made my runs difficult. It probably wouldn't have really affected my performance come race day, and might even have helped, but it made it mentally tough for me to get out there and put in the miles after work three days each week when my legs were already tired before I'd gone a half mile.

I haven't done P90X, so I don't know the routines, but the only concern I would have is if it's got high impact movements (jumping, bouncing, etc.). You want to do something low-impact on the days between running so your joints have a chance to recover. You don't want an overuse injury to completely derail your training program. Otherwise, trust me, your body will let you know if you're doing too much. The trick is to realize it before you end up with an injury.

You sound like you have your training together. You're already doing a ton of conditioning with your running, P90 is truly a conditioning program. I tried to read more about "x3" version and from what I can tell it's still largely conditioning oriented. True strength-training is different and that would be your best bet for improving running performance. Two days of strength training for a runner that is considered "in-season" is truly enough and you're right, you do need to taper as your event is closer. You may consider stopping lower body training altogether two-weeks out from your event.

• NezyRumRunner
    NezyRumRunner Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    wow! im so glad I saw this thread...great info for someone like me who has trained for distance running but wants to add real muscle...my endurance is great, but i still have areas that just wont go away.. thanks folks! :smiley:
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Will definitely have to check out that startbodyweight.com. Really want to improve my running with gaining the strength.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    noexcusesjustresults2014 Posts: 212 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am fairly new to strength training as well (using a slightly modified version of Stronglifts). I run a lot of miles and sometimes feel like I need to schedule my deadlift days before an easier run. 20+ mile runs or speedwork are not easy for me after certain strength sessions!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    I am fairly new to strength training as well (using a slightly modified version of Stronglifts). I run a lot of miles and sometimes feel like I need to schedule my deadlift days before an easier run. 20+ mile runs or speedwork are not easy for me after certain strength sessions!

Deadlifts are harder to recover from. Honestly, you could replace the DL's for Squats and do something like 5x3 instead. The goal is to build strength for running, not build the deadlift. You don't need to increase your DL to improve youre running; unless that's something you want.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

A lot of the advice on "when to schedule strength training" I've seen says to put it in the afternoon (if you're a morning runner) of one of your hard runs, to allow for optimal recovery before your next real workout.

That is not to say it is fun going from mile repeats to one-legged squats. :#