calorie deficit can someone please explain what this is ?

Options
Im new to this. Please can someone explain what calorie deficit is please.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    http://straighthealth.com/pages/qna/caloriedeficit.html
    What is a calorie deficit?

A calorie deficit is a state in which you burn more calories than you consume. For example, if you burn 2,500 calories per day but only eat 2,000, you have created a deficit of 500 calories per day. A calorie deficit forces the body to use non-food sources of energy (typically body fat though the body can also burn muscle tissue for energy) to make up for the shortfall causing weight loss.

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Eating less calories than you burn=calorie deficit
    Eating more calories than you burn=calorie surplus

(keep in mind that you burn calories just by being alive… plus any exercise you do. So to lose weight, eat less than you burn TOTAL)
  • emilyjanex98
    Options
    It's just eating less calories than you burn! If you calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate) you can find out how many calories you'd burn if you just sat on the sofa all day :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is just the difference between the number of calories you burn and the number of calories you eat over a period of time.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a certain amount of calories per day to maintain it's weight. Mine is around 1840 if I'm not exercising. To lose weight I decrease my calories to 1640 to lose .5lb/week. That's a 200 calorie deficient.

So, for you it may be different. Follow what MFP gives you for your goals - but make sure your deficient isn't too aggressive and eat back 1/2 your exercise calories and you'll lose weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    It's what you need to lose weight.
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I wish MFP allowed you to "like" replies. These were some awesome answers. I knew the answer, but wasn't quite clear on how to articulate it properly. I'm so happy that I joined this place.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    ^^ what they said. Just figure out the calories you need to maintain, and eat less than that but no more than 20%.

If you do it that way, don't eat the calories you burn back.

If you follow myfitnesspal, they already have figured your deficit to lose without exercise. If you exercise and burn more, you're suppose to eat them back so your deficit isnt too large.
  • wannabesmaller2015
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

A calorie deficit is a state in which you burn more calories than you consume. For example, if you burn 2,500 calories per day but only eat 2,000, you have created a deficit of 500 calories per day. A calorie deficit forces the body to use non-food sources of energy (typically body fat though the body can also burn muscle tissue for energy) to make up for the shortfall causing weight loss.

I'm new to this as well. I consumed 1709 calories and burned 1109 of them, but the app says I'm still going to lose weight and that I'm not eating enough. Can you please explain that to me because now I'm totally confused.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options

I'm new to this as well. I consumed 1709 calories and burned 1109 of them, but the app says I'm still going to lose weight and that I'm not eating enough. Can you please explain that to me because now I'm totally confused.

MFP has a calorie deficit built in.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

well 1. your burn is too high (seriously) 2. With MFP (and assuming how it is set for you) it is wanting you to eat those calories you burned because then you will still be in a deficit since MFP's allowance isn't accounting for exercise.
  • lindsey5892
    Options
    Thankyou for all the replies. Very informative. I usually follow weight watchers.