Is it normal to feel awkward going to an exercise class on your own?

Options
2»

Replies

• jadejo63
    jadejo63 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Still going tonight, it's a ladies only boxercise class :smiley: xx
  • picnic2day
    picnic2day Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    :D have fun
  • mirandagod77
    mirandagod77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    totally, i'm sure you with get comfortable after a class or two
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Ohwhynot wrote: »
    Yup. Even if I've been a ton, I have leftover fat kid anxiety like everyone is watching/staring/making fun of me. Ex: tomorrow is my BodyFlow class. I hate it. I'm one of the few chubby people in the class and, while I'm experienced with yoga, I don't like pilates and I suck at the "flow" part. I DREAD it... but it's a good workout and I can't make the yoga class I love. All day tomorrow I will make excuses in my head why I shouldn't go.

Try being the only guy in the class :D I'm about as flexible as a 4x4, but keep trying in BodyFlow. Gotta start somewhere (straight yoga would out-and-out leave me on the floor crying like a baby.)

I used to take a couple of aerobics classes where there were a few guys in it. It was pretty cool to see them there. One guy was taking a step class for the first time. I was a little annoyed at the instructor because he didn't know any of the moves and she didn't take the time to show him. When I first took step the instructor could see I was lost and she put her step next to mine and coached me through the class which I thought was nice.

Of course there was this one guy who would stand behind me and check out my backside as I was doing my thang but I was ok with that (he was also a friend though).
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    jadejo63 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! Still going tonight, it's a ladies only boxercise class :smiley: xx

Have fun and don't worry about it! EVERYONE started off the same place you are.

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I want to go to the les mills body combat class at my gym. I just don't know if I'm ready to keep up yet.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I want to go to the les mills body combat class at my gym. I just don't know if I'm ready to keep up yet.

Only one way to find out. And there's nothing wrong with taking a little breather -- it's all about improvement, not perfection.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I went to one and I could *mostly* keep up - but there were people of ALL levels in the class and it was so fun and interesting that it really didn't matter who was doing what around me. I wouldn't say this about most classes, but don't deprive yourself of the body combat for any reason, it's really awesome. :)
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

I went to one and I could *mostly* keep up - but there were people of ALL levels in the class and it was so fun and interesting that it really didn't matter who was doing what around me. I wouldn't say this about most classes, but don't deprive yourself of the body combat for any reason, it's really awesome. :)

Thanks. I'll check it out!
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I know I did, have fun!
  • jadejo63
    jadejo63 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I went and had lots fun! Was really hard work, most people went with people they know so I was kind of alone but had a good time and will be back next week, hopefully il have some time to chat to new people lol :smile: x

My arms ache now x
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Maybe on the first day but it's cool since you can focus on yourself more, gain new friends (hopefully). Have fun!