Fiber or Protien

Options
Which is better for you adding my fiber or adding more protien to your diet?

Replies

• wheelsjad
    wheelsjad Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Better for what? Feeling full? Putting on muscle? Losing weight? Staying regular?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Protein. But both is nice.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It depends how much of each you have already. Both are essential parts of a diet.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Both are important for different reasons. Can you elaborate more on your question?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    wheelsjad wrote: »
    Better for what? Feeling full? Putting on muscle? Losing weight? Staying regular?

dat

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You need both, so just increase whatever you need. Take the fiber up slowly or you'll bloat and fart.

For me, fiber was easy to raise. Protein is a constant struggle and I'm about ready to give up on it. I just don't like protein foods very much.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    too vague, need both
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    If I was going to add more, and I did recently, it would be protein. The thermic effect / afterburn, the muscle building, the fact that most people who don't track their macros typically don't get enough of this in a day. But if you can't poop...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It depends how much of each you have already. Both are essential parts of a diet.

This.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Fibertein is where it's at. All. Day. Long. You will crap meat.

I literally snorted at my desk at this.
  • VBJONLY
    VBJONLY Posts: 25
    Options

I am looking to lose weight and build muscle.
  • VBJONLY
    Options
    If I was going to add more, and I did recently, it would be protein. The thermic effect / afterburn, the muscle building, the fact that most people who don't track their macros typically don't get enough of this in a day. But if you can't poop...

I stay regular because I get my fiber from eating lots of fruits & veggies. Thank you I think that I will add more protien to my diet.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options

Although people will say it's hard to lose weight and gain muscle, I will say that I did do that. I don't have heavy lifting muscles, but I have definite definition in my entire body. When I move my back you can see muscles moving, not just skin and my upper arms/shoulders are also nicely developed. Also, the result of my muscle development has resulted in my losing 2 sized during maintenance without losing additional weight.

As to the fiber/protein issue. I eat the normal amount of protein for a body in maintenance. When you go into past the anerobic and glycolic/phosphogen energy states to a a steady burn (aerobic) state, your body, when it is more fat than muscle, uses fat for fuel. When you have less fat to lose, you do use muscle mass.

The last thing that the body uses in the aerobic state for fuel is protein.

So when I finish a workout, I usually have a piece of fruit or a fiber bar instead of a protein bar.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Balance both. It also depends on your needs as noted above.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I stay regular because I get my fiber from eating lots of fruits & veggies. Thank you I think that I will add more protien to my diet.

Adding more protein only makes sense if you aren't currently getting enough.
    What is your current protein goal in grams and are you hitting it most days?

Think you would find this a useful read...
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • VBJONLY
    Options

Although people will say it's hard to lose weight and gain muscle, I will say that I did do that. I don't have heavy lifting muscles, but I have definite definition in my entire body. When I move my back you can see muscles moving, not just skin and my upper arms/shoulders are also nicely developed. Also, the result of my muscle development has resulted in my losing 2 sized during maintenance without losing additional weight.

As to the fiber/protein issue. I eat the normal amount of protein for a body in maintenance. When you go into past the anerobic and glycolic/phosphogen energy states to a a steady burn (aerobic) state, your body, when it is more fat than muscle, uses fat for fuel. When you have less fat to lose, you do use muscle mass.

So when I finish a workout, I usually have a piece of fruit or a fiber bar instead of a protein bar.

Thanks you I love your input. I don't do protien bar because of the high amount of calories in them, usually after a workout I would eat a small snack such as an apple & cheese, or carrots & hummus.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

it sounds to me like you reduced body fat, thereby allowing the muscle underneath to be more defined and visible.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Fibertein is where it's at. All. Day. Long. You will crap meat.

LMBO! I call my daily legume/bean intake as my "fibertein". And both are important. If you want it all in one food--beans--the magical fruit ;) Otherwise, switch out some of your carb food sources for fiber rich versions (whole grains, oatmeal, corn tortillas, more veggies & fruit, etc.) and eat more protein rich foods (meat, dairy, beans, soy, etc.).