feet!!!

Options
I love working out but I hate what it is doing to my feet. im a big fan of good foot care, get regular pedis, scrub off dead skin and put on moisturizers. i like pretty feet. but I have noticed that high impact exercise is giving me blisters and leaves my feet in a terrible state... any advice?

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    bump... i'm having the same problem
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Soak your feet in milk before you scrub. The lactic acid is amazing!
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends on here who run daily and swear by the right shoes but they say the right socks are also just as important.

I am sure someone else will expand on this but that's what I have heard.

Ben.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I just started running earlier this year and I've noticed that my shoes were the problem. I have a pretty bad blood blister under my big toe that I got from running in Nike Shox. I now have some Nike Free TR Fit and they have drastically changed the look of my feet. (Still waiting on that blood blister to go away though).
  • Misty1777
    Misty1777 Posts: 29
    Options
    I take Zumba and TurboKick classes frequently. I was getting blisters on the outsides of my big toes. I started wrapping them with white plumbers tape before class. It has helped a lot. It protects your skin, it's not sticky so it doesn't leave a mess, it's easy to find and it's inexpensive. Try it a few times, just be sure not to wrap too tight so that it doesn't cut off circulaltion. Hope it helps!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    The right shoes and socks will definitely help, also make sure you soak your feet regularly...sometimes we neglect our feet and all they need is the right attention and it'll be all good! :)
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    im an athletic shoe designer and have a pretty good idea on how to select proper footwear :) but socks might be the issue here
    thanx everyone
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    At night take some vicks vapor rub and massage it into your feet and wear black socks. You feet will feel so good and they will keep their softness.
  • supermariocycling
    supermariocycling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Go barefoot or get some Vibram Five Fingers. However, gradually ease into them. There is a "How To" guide at www.birthdayshoes.com . Sounds odd to have a how-to guide to shoes, but many people feel so good in VFF's that they overdo it and end up with injuries--especially to the achilles or calf. A friend of my that also wears VFF's started getting blisters when his running mileage started to increase--he got some Injinji socks (toe sock) and says they are the "best thing ever."

If you have no interest in VFF's, make sure you are not wearing cotton socks as I don't think there is anything worse for your feet when working out. Its like they were made to give you blisters. Get some good running/cycling socks. If that doesn't work, many people wear the Injinji toe socks in regular shoes which prevent blisters and actually keep your feet much cooler.

NOTE: They aren't socks that only go on your toes--they are a sock that covers your foot, but separates the toes--like a glove or glove liner. They keep skin-on-skin and skin to rougher shoe fabric friction from causing blisters.
  • fitbot
    Options
    while familiar with the vibrams, they scare me to death
  • supermariocycling
    supermariocycling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Definitely try the Injinji socks then. I'll bet it does the trick. Nothing to lose, right : )
  • fitbot
    Options
    truth
    thanks so much for the advice
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I run mostly barefoot and work hard on getting tough calloused feet. I wear the injinji socks, and they really do nothing different for callouses - I view these as my badges of honor, I feel sad when they are gone over the winter because of less running. I'd say your destined for a life of pedis. I worked for DPM for years, feet get calloused from what you do to them you may want to look into orthotics.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I run mostly barefoot and work hard on getting tough calloused feet. I wear the injinji socks, and they really do nothing different for callouses - I view these as my badges of honor, I feel sad when they are gone over the winter because of less running. I'd say your destined for a life of pedis. I worked for DPM for years, feet get calloused from what you do to them you may want to look into orthotics.