In desperate need of weight loss advice!

Options
2»

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    MKabesh wrote: »

Not a debbie downer at all! Thing is, I was at that weight before - so I know it's not like a new weight goal I'm trying to achieve. My frame is not petite but it's certainly not big. I would say I'm the average size and I know that my body is incapable of gaining too much muscle because realistically speaking, my frame won't be able to support it!

You realise that you wrote that you got to that weight by BEING ILL. That means you were that weight after losing a bunch of water most likely and it wasn't a weight that is natural for your body. Not saying that you can't get there, but why is that weight so important? I was 115 lb once but I also had anorexia, so I'm not aiming for it. I'm aiming for a weight that I can sustain w/o doing stupid things to my body. Perhaps, 123 is not a weight you should be trying to achieve if it means you have to go into a cycle of starving and binging. You are already working out quite a lot to maintain that 128 lb which is already on the light side. Why not just work at doing a body recomp if you want to make a change - the scale should not be that important. Lift some heavier weights 3x a week, do a bit less cardio.

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You are undereating and overexercising.. that's why you're having a hard time sticking to your calorie limit.

I don't see why you feel the need to work out to what amounts to 9x a week. There's really no reason to. You'd probably feel much better working out 3-4x a week, and you'd be able to stick to your 1200 calorie limit a lot easier.

If you get carb cravings after 2 weeks, then just have a refeed day or two. That's what I do. For a day or two I have a structured refeed, which is where I carb up and eat to maintenance calories instead of my usual deficit. It keeps you sane because you finally get to eat a bunch of carbs, you feel better because your glycogen stores get restored, and you aren't gaining any fat because you're only eating to maintenance and not actually binging out like you would on a cheat day.

• MKabesh
    MKabesh Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    walterc7 wrote: »
    You are undereating and overexercising.. that's why you're having a hard time sticking to your calorie limit.

I don't see why you feel the need to work out to what amounts to 9x a week. There's really no reason to. You'd probably feel much better working out 3-4x a week, and you'd be able to stick to your 1200 calorie limit a lot easier.

If you get carb cravings after 2 weeks, then just have a refeed day or two. That's what I do. For a day or two I have a structured refeed, which is where I carb up and eat to maintenance calories instead of my usual deficit. It keeps you sane because you finally get to eat a bunch of carbs, you feel better because your glycogen stores get restored, and you aren't gaining any fat because you're only eating to maintenance and not actually binging out like you would on a cheat day.

Hmm. So you're suggesting that I try going for 1200 calorie allowance but reduce my workout schedule, right? Could certainly give it a try!
    Also, I've never heard about re-feeding before :) Thanks for explaining!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    What size are you? Do you know how much body fat you have? If you're going for that "toned" look, starving yourself will not get you there--weights will, and that will mean putting on a few pounds. But remember, no one can see the number on the scale, but everyone can see how you look. These photos are all of the same woman--on the left, at her goal weight, on the right, after a lifting and body recomp program. Which body do you want? The lighter one on the right, or the heavier one on the left?

bodycomp_zps5030830e.jpg
  • MKabesh
    edited January 2015
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    What size are you? Do you know how much body fat you have? If you're going for that "toned" look, starving yourself will not get you there--weights will, and that will mean putting on a few pounds. But remember, no one can see the number on the scale, but everyone can see how you look. These photos are all of the same woman--on the left, at her goal weight, on the right, after a lifting and body recomp program. Which body do you want? The lighter one on the right, or the heavier one on the left?

bodycomp_zps5030830e.jpg

Hey!

Interesting pictures, thanks for sharing :)

My body fat is 22%. I am certainly not trying to starve myself and the number on a scale is not the only thing I am looking at when it comes to my body - but it's one indication I consider for sure.
    The reason I'm insisting on losing those last 5 pounds is because I know that my skinny jeans will fit better. It's vain, I know, but I do the work for it and eat clean. As long as it's within a normal, healthy weight - I see no shame in pursuing it still. At least that's how I see it :)
    Again, I used to weigh 123 lbs before I started doing CrossFit - I just can't get back to that number for a reason I don't quite understand now that I don't CrossFit anymore.

I hardly think 1550 calorie allowance is starving myself, but I'm all for calorie intake adjustment to suit my goals in a sustainable, healthy way. That is why I am reaching out to you guys in the first place :) What do you suggest?
  • MarietjieScott
    Options
    i follow a low carb diet. only eat bellow 50 count. i eat mostly protein. once a week i eat like rice or bread just to ensure i do not feel sick. i am on my diet for two tweeks now and lost 3.8kg. and i feel better, got more energy. and the best is: i don't excersice! :smiley:
    it's my wedding in two months, got a lot to loose still....
  • MKabesh
    Options
    i follow a low carb diet. only eat bellow 50 count. i eat mostly protein. once a week i eat like rice or bread just to ensure i do not feel sick. i am on my diet for two tweeks now and lost 3.8kg. and i feel better, got more energy. and the best is: i don't excersice! :smiley:
    it's my wedding in two months, got a lot to loose still....

Awe. Congratulations :D
    Tell you a secret? I'm actually one of those people who enjoy working out! Totally puts me in a good mood :)
    All the best to you!
  • Appalachia7
    Appalachia7 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi! One thing I noticed when looking at your food diary, are you sure you are logging all your calories? I noticed a few items like 'stir fry' and 'roasted Brussels sprouts". Did you make those without any oil at all? It's possible you did, but I know when I make stir fry, I use oil, but try to keep it right at 1 tbs or 1 tsp, measured. Also the same with 'green salad', that is logged but no dressing is listed. Is the salad dressing, or oil, if used accounted for in the total calorie count?
  • MKabesh
    Options
    Hi! One thing I noticed when looking at your food diary, are you sure you are logging all your calories? I noticed a few items like 'stir fry' and 'roasted Brussels sprouts". Did you make those without any oil at all? It's possible you did, but I know when I make stir fry, I use oil, but try to keep it right at 1 tbs or 1 tsp, measured. Also the same with 'green salad', that is logged but no dressing is listed. Is the salad dressing, or oil, if used accounted for in the total calorie count?

Hey! Since the stir fry is a recipe I entered, olive oil is accounted for. Brussel sprouts isn't mine though, so I kinda assumed it's calculated :neutral_face: Hmm... You're right though, maybe I should enter my own recipe for it.

My salads are without any dressings actually :) I just enjoy raw veggies - boring I know but I sort of trained my palette to not depend on dressings.

Right now, I'm really trying my best to be meticulous with measuring foods as well as balancing my macros: 40% 40% 20% as suggested by some of you guys :) it's hard work that's for sure!

Thanks for your comment
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I think you might have ''bulked'' without realizing it after you stopped with the DVDs / strict diet to the CrossFit and eating more freely. Now you have more muscle mass that would explain why it is harder for you to eat as low as you did before. Which is good, because your metabolic rate is higher, this allows you to eat more and still lose. Also, if you don't eat enough (especially not enough proteins) you might lose muscle mass, which is bad for your metabolic rate and weight loss in general. And let's face it, being toned makes you look good in that bikini! It sounds like you got everything pretty much down. Be sure that your expectation are realistic, it sounds like you are at a healthy weight. You know best :) I hope this helps! Good luck ♥
  • MKabesh
    Options
    xmarye wrote: »
    I think you might have ''bulked'' without realizing it after you stopped with the DVDs / strict diet to the CrossFit and eating more freely. Now you have more muscle mass that would explain why it is harder for you to eat as low as you did before. Which is good, because your metabolic rate is higher, this allows you to eat more and still lose. Also, if you don't eat enough (especially not enough proteins) you might lose muscle mass, which is bad for your metabolic rate and weight loss in general. And let's face it, being toned makes you look good in that bikini! It sounds like you got everything pretty much down. Be sure that your expectation are realistic, it sounds like you are at a healthy weight. You know best :) I hope this helps! Good luck ♥

Ah okay. Yeah, that makes sense as to why I can't seem to eat as low as I was before CrossFit. The whole CrossFit experience really took me by surprise! No one ever explained to me how much I'll be eating and it was really all a shock to me how hungry I was feeling ALL the time!

Thanks for the encouragement - it helps for sure :)

All the best to you :)
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Do you not look as good as you did when you were 123lbs?
  • MKabesh
    Options
    Do you not look as good as you did when you were 123lbs?

I "look" about the same actually but it's more about how comfortably my clothes are fitting. Trust me, if I didn't feel the difference, I wouldn't have even bothered changing anything :)