I want to start jogging, but it's winter?

Options
I would really like to start jogging, on sunny days like today it's usually around 0c, but it's common to get below -20c here. What do I do when it gets colder or snows too heavily? I'd like to make a routine but the weather doesn't help.
I don't have the money for the gym and am embarrassed by using a treadmill (I stomp LOUDLY when I run).

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Lots of dedicated people go running in the dead of winter, in the snow and ice. Not me. I'm allergic to cold. I'm lucky that if I really want it, there's a Planet Fitness within walking distance of my house. For all the flack PF gets, it's still good for cardio, and it's cheap.

Meanwhile, if you really want to jog, have you looked to see if there's an indoor track anywhere that doesn't charge? Maybe at a park or community center? An indoor basketball court somewhere where you could jog the perimeter while no games are going on? If there's not, then your choices are basically to brave the cold, or bite the bullet on a cheap gym membership.
  • Green_Heron
    Options
    I am simply awe-struck by some of the people who still somehow manage to jog and ride their bikes here January-March, in cold far past -20c! The last time I tried I got a bloody nose.

The cheapest gym in town I used to go to continued to take money after my membership timed out, so I wouldn't go back there... However there is a community centre in town, where there's an ice rink I could do the steps on, it might be a bit cramped for jogging. Thanks! :smile:
  • Luke_Luke_Luke
    Options
    While it doesn't get that cold here Ill try to give some input, why not start by walking in the cold and building up to jogging? That way you get used to the various surfaces and conditions. As long as you're wearing the right layers of clothing and have enough face coverage then you should be comfortable enough to last a certain amount of time in the coldest of colds. I'd love to have those conditions but then again, I prefer the cold lol
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Do you get enough snow to snowshoe? Far more fun than jogging, and better exercise, besides! And did you say ice rink? Crap -- why jog when you can skate? Heaven!
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i only started running last year so this winter is my first and i have to say i'm absolutely loving running in the cold, i thought it would be horrible but i'd take this over the sticky summer heat any day

it take a lot of motivation to get myself out the house and the first 10 minutes are rough but once you get past that your body warms up nicely and you can just run along as good as ever
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    sloseph wrote: »
    i only started running last year so this winter is my first and i have to say i'm absolutely loving running in the cold, i thought it would be horrible but i'd take this over the sticky summer heat any day

it take a lot of motivation to get myself out the house and the first 10 minutes are rough but once you get past that your body warms up nicely and you can just run along as good as ever

Totally agree. I much prefer running in the cold. It was -1 here yesterday, admittedly not a patch on -20 I appreciate, but once I was a minute or so in I was a very comfortable temp.

• Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I will jog when it's warm, I do it in light rain (the best for an instant coolant), and I do it when it's freezing. It makes no difference really and you will warm up within 7 minutes. Have a go and do it when the urge takes you. Don't let a little thing like weather put you off.
  • carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love running. Doesn't matter what the weather is. If it's hot and sunny, brilliant. If it's freezing cold, windy, raining or in snow, that's brilliant too. Just adjust your clothing accordingly. I have specific dress codes that I have to stick to dependent on temperature, otherwise I end up melting, but it has to be pretty cold for me not to be in shorts and t-shirt. I might have to wear gloves and a Buff beanie, but shorts and t-shirts are pretty much it unless it's sub-zero...
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I always wait until March. But if it's 39 degrees or above, I do ride my bike.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this....It has been 0F or less more days than not around here lately (last week windchill was around -30F, and this very moment it is "-1, and feels like -11). It has also been very icy. You really have two options I guess if a gym/treadmill is out, layer up and go...or wait until it warms up.
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute. You live where it is -30C but you don't have the money for a gym. You don't live there for the weather and you obviously don't live there for the money. Move to a better place. I always wondered why people live where they do. It is 22C here and it is January.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I think my profile picture makes it pretty clear that winter doesn't slow me down......and it gets cold here in Ottawa.

The trick is dressing properly (layers) and that can take some trial and error as you don't want to be overdressed (you should be a little chilly at the beginning of the run) the other important thing with winter running is form, the roads can be slippery so you want to keep your stride short (your forward foot should never extend very far in from of your hips) and if it's really icy you may want to use some kind of traction aid.

You also want to make sure that you're highly visible. Jackets with gaudy bright colours & reflective accents. I also use a Petzl LED headlamp in low light conditions (my desire to live overrides my worrying about looking like a dork)

Is there a Running Room where you live? They put on free running clinics and organize local group runs (usually Wednesdays and Saturdays) where you could hook up with some more experienced runners who could probably give you some great guidance.

Running in the winter is not for everyone but it offers a special kind of charm for lunatics like me. As others have mentioned you could also do other winter activities like skating, snowshoeing etc etc

If budget is a problem you could check with your local Y, many of them offer deeply discounted memberships for people who truly can't afford it.