I need help

Options
Just diagnosed with diverticular, I try to stick to 1,200 cal or less, dispite needing the bathroom numerous times a day I've not lost 1 single pound in 3 months and yes I excerise 5 days a week why am I not loosing weight, because of diverticular my whole diet has changed to very low fat, high fiber and lactose free ????

Replies

• cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My first thought is, are you measuring portions and accurately logging? Just a question. :D
  • nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What cotewalter said. I keep a mini scale in my purse, so I can be sure to weigh ALL THE THINGS! (*) I wasn't weighing at the beginning of my journey -- just guessing -- it makes all the difference.
  • monkeymafia
    monkeymafia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you tried working out at the end of the day? I have problems with my digestion and this has been working for me. I'm not one of those people who are up after a workout though. I can workout, shower, and go straight to bed, so I don't know if that's a possibility for you as well. Anything is worth a shot :)
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    First, I recommend learning about the different types of fiber. There is non-soluble non-digestible fiber (aka roughage) that will only irritate your colon and intestines. The other fiber is a soluble fiber which is digestible by your gut microbiome. It is this fiber that you want to ingest to help feed your bacteria, but don't go crazy.

Another thing to point out, is the evidence for a high fiber protecting against diverticular disease has been disputed by more recent studies (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0016508511015095).

Because of diverticular's inflammation etiological similarities with IBS, ulcerative colitis and crohn's, I would recommend you read Danielle Walker's blog over at http://againstallgrain.com/ read about her story and use what she's done to help herself as a guide.

I would also point your towards this (http://chriskresser.com/how-to-prevent-diverticulitis-naturally) piece written by a RD that works in this world of fun digestive illnesses.

Sorry for your troubles and best of luck.
  • liz28may
    Options
    Thank you so much for replying I thought fiber was fiber seems it's not and I am now retired so I am at home and I do weigh everything
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    That's the problem with the whole fiber issue. Most people don't know that there are types and one of them is good for you and your health and the other just slides through your intestine while irritating the lining. It's a problem with nutrition education and communication. If you want to become instantly constipated, eat a lot of coconut fiber. Really load down on the stuff and you will not be able to poo for a long time. Uncomfortably long. The problem with this is it will also irritate the lining of your digestive track. If you're constipated and really need to poop, stop eating insoluble fiber. It works. Doctors even prescribe it to severely constipated people.

What you need to do is avoid irritating the lining, while reducing inflammation. Once you get that worked out, then you can worry about weight loss. This is going to take a combination of fixing your gut microbiome (eat probiotics and yogurt doesn't count). Eat prebiotics. Prebiotics are what feed the bacteria in your gut. These are the soluble fiber that are present in vegetables and fruit. Be careful.

But please read those links I sent to you. You need to be concerned about Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO), which can contribute to your problems.

Best of luck and if you have questions I can help point you towards answers.
  • silversnare25
    silversnare25 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Another thought is how much water are you consuming? You should be drinking(in ounces) half you body weight ( in pounds) every day. Ex: i'm 232, so i drink 116... er.... well, I TRY to. It's tough, but it helps. High quality aloe may also help with intestinal upset. And when you say you were diagnosed, do you mean diverticulitis? A lot of times upset can be avoided by avoiding foods that are hard to digest ( i.e. nuts, corn, popcorn, and seeds) for fear that these foods would get stuck in the diverticula and lead to inflammation.