lisalips30 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    not!!!!! got asthma from being around it when i was little
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    I smoked for 20 years, quit 15 months ago.

I'm apathetic about other people smoking. The smell kinda grosses me out, but I wouldn't call someone gross or nasty or anything else. Their choice, their habit, their health.

I think it's really bizarre that judging people for having an addiction (but only THIS addiction) is kosher. Why is being rude and jerky about smokers socially acceptable?
    1 - they aren't just knowingly risking their own health, but everyone's around them, often their own children.
    2 - it's a choice to start and continue.
    3 - there are about a billion ways to stop, most of them are covered by insurance.
    4 - the main reason it's hard to stop is that it's not illegal, so they don't have to hide it.
    5 - they reek horribly and we all have to smell it when they walk among us.

I smoked myself for 8 years, my hubs for 20.

1. I never smoked around another person, ever. Especially not my kids. Not in my car, house, not in front of stores, not in bars, restaurants - ever.
    2. So because it's a choice, like drinking alcohol or shooting up heroin, it's okay to be jerks to/about them. Got it.
    3. And? There are a billion ways to get help regardless of what your addiction is.
    4. It's not illegal to drink either, but I don't see threads bashing alcoholics.
    5. So anytime anyone smells, it's a green light to degrade them? Check!

I never said 'you'. I said 'they'. No personal attacks, there. Don't take it personally. I see people every day smoking in their cars with their children, and have to walk through smoke to get into buildings.
    I'm not a jerk to smokers. I was a Respiratory Therapist for 9 years and counseled hundreds of people to help them stop smoking. It is a choice, most of them don't want to make the choice to stop.
    Most of the ways to get help for other addictions include going to rehab and suffering through withdrawal while just not taking your drug. There are myriad nicotine replacements which make nicotine withdrawal much easier to go through, and even without them, it's not even comparable to heroin or cocaine withdrawal.
    Drinking alcohol won't kill the person sitting next to you.
    The initial question was 'Smoking - hot or not?' Stinky is definitely NOT HOT.

I'm not taking it personally. You're generalizing and I'm showing why generalizations are harmful.

If you're not a jerk to smokers, I don't understand why you replied to my post in the first place, as it obviously wasn't about you.

And it doesn't matter how many help programs are there - a person can only quit when they're ready.

I don't think it's okay to shame any subset of the population for any reason, so I spoke up. Not everyone in this thread is shaming, of course. But some are and it's not cool, IMO.

I doubt the smoking MFP population cares they are being judge for smoking.

• cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Smoking is stinky!! :#
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I'm apathetic about other people smoking. The smell kinda grosses me out, but I wouldn't call someone gross or nasty or anything else. Their choice, their habit, their health.

I think it's really bizarre that judging people for having an addiction (but only THIS addiction) is kosher. Why is being rude and jerky about smokers socially acceptable?
    1 - they aren't just knowingly risking their own health, but everyone's around them, often their own children.
    3 - there are about a billion ways to stop, most of them are covered by insurance.
    4 - the main reason it's hard to stop is that it's not illegal, so they don't have to hide it.

1. I never smoked around another person, ever. Especially not my kids. Not in my car, house, not in front of stores, not in bars, restaurants - ever.
    2. So because it's a choice, like drinking alcohol or shooting up heroin, it's okay to be jerks to/about them. Got it.
    3. And? There are a billion ways to get help regardless of what your addiction is.
    4. It's not illegal to drink either, but I don't see threads bashing alcoholics.

I never said 'you'. I said 'they'. No personal attacks, there. Don't take it personally. I see people every day smoking in their cars with their children, and have to walk through smoke to get into buildings.
    I'm not a jerk to smokers. I was a Respiratory Therapist for 9 years and counseled hundreds of people to help them stop smoking. It is a choice, most of them don't want to make the choice to stop.
    Most of the ways to get help for other addictions include going to rehab and suffering through withdrawal while just not taking your drug. There are myriad nicotine replacements which make nicotine withdrawal much easier to go through, and even without them, it's not even comparable to heroin or cocaine withdrawal.

I'm not taking it personally. You're generalizing and I'm showing why generalizations are harmful.

If you're not a jerk to smokers, I don't understand why you replied to my post in the first place, as it obviously wasn't about you.

And it doesn't matter how many help programs are there - a person can only quit when they're ready.

I don't think it's okay to shame any subset of the population for any reason, so I spoke up. Not everyone in this thread is shaming, of course. But some are and it's not cool, IMO.

*shrug*
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    after watching my dad die of emphysema at age 68; and now watching my brother do the same, that's a rousing NO from me as well.
  • Jojomotivated
    Jojomotivated Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Not =/
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    not
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    not a fan of cigs at all. Ganj very occasionally - mostly only at outdoor music festivals, if it's around. Hookahs can be fun, but not a fan of regular usage. I like the smell of cigars, but have never partaken. I wouldn't be opposed to lighting up a celebratory cigar if the occasion called for it though.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Forget how it looks, I just hate how it tastes and smells on another person. Whatever it's hotness at a distance, up close it's upsettingly unsexy
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am old- I had to Google what "420" is :wink:
  • yopeeps025
    Options

*shrug*

I will say congrats to the people who have not smoked, quit smoking, or trying to quit.

Now have you notice the amount of people who smoke around you and what they smoke. MJ seems to be getting out a lot. Also hookah bars are always crowd from what I hear. I never been to one because I have hookah at home.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Not.
  • tiffanyaldrich512
    Options
    Not hot, makes teeth yellow, breath smell, you smell, and age faster.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

*shrug*

I will say congrats to the people who have not smoked, quit smoking, or trying to quit.

Now have you notice the amount of people who smoke around you and what they smoke. MJ seems to be getting out a lot. Also hookah bars are always crowd from what I hear. I never been to one because I have hookah at home.

I do notice smokers more than I used to when I was a smoker - mostly because of the smell. Now that my nose actually works, the smell really bothers me.

I'm in South Texas, the only thing I ever see are cigarettes, with the occasional cigar. I don't think hookah bars have caught on here, and weed won't be legal anytime soon.
  • lexlowe
    lexlowe Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Not. Put a cigarette in a beautiful woman's mouth and she instantly becomes unattractive.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I think you're probably 15 years old if you care about such things.
  • kaylabean92
    kaylabean92 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Not. I've never been curious, and I honestly don't see the appeal at all.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Might as well be sucking your thumb.

Or something else. That's all I think of when I see people do lingering pulls on those toys. Men and women, I can only imagine you smoking my pole. I know, weird.

• yopeeps025
    Options

*shrug*

I do notice smokers more than I used to when I was a smoker - mostly because of the smell. Now that my nose actually works, the smell really bothers me.

I'm in South Texas, the only thing I ever see are cigarettes, with the occasional cigar. I don't think hookah bars have caught on here, and weed won't be legal anytime soon.

Cigarettes do smell god awful. I will never date someone who smokes that crap again.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    They're gross. It's unattractive.