How do you monitor your weight?

Options
I have been maintaining for 6 months now .At first I still continue to track my food but now I find that I have been slacking off. However, I still exercise regularly . For those who stopped counting, how do you keep an eye on your weight to make sure you are not gaining and catch it early before it shows on your appearance? Also how do other people gain all their weight back without noticing until its too late?

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I go by how my clothes fit. I haven't really counted in a few years
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Tanie98 wrote: »
    I have been maintaining for 6 months now .At first I still continue to track my food but now I find that I have been slacking off. However, I still exercise regularly . For those who stopped counting, how do you keep an eye on your weight to make sure you are not gaining and catch it early before it shows on your appearance? Also how do other people gain all their weight back without noticing until its too late?

I weigh daily. IMHO, it's the only way to prevent myself from gaining weight back. That being said, I've had to come to understand that once I started lifting weights a year ago, the scales did not always register fat losses; I had to rely on how my clothes fit.

As far as your last question, people are not honestly looking what they are doing and the impact on their bodies when they gain weight back. It's okay to stop logging when you're ready for it, but as soon as weight gain starts again, logging should be the first corrective step.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    use a scale....
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    weigh daily. i only track when i start seeing the scale go up consistently. i've been tracking the past few days and it went down again. might stop tracking again. i go long stretches of time without tracking now.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    scale. It doesn't sneak up on you. there is no sneaking in unplanned weight gain. Just no planning
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I can judge by how my clothes fit. I have no desire to get on the scale that often. Maybe once every few months or so. I've been maintaining for about a year.

Those who gain it all back just don't care at the moment they are gaining. They definitely notice. I also don't understand how people allow themselves to get beyond X weight. Same thing I think. That's just my opinion.
  • StephJC81
    StephJC81 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's all about the measurements. Always keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat so the scale really isn't the best option. So I always go by my clothes and measurements. Good luck! :)
  • Aviva92
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I can judge by how my clothes fit. I have no desire to get on the scale that often. Maybe once every few months or so. I've been maintaining for about a year.

Those who gain it all back just don't care at the moment they are gaining. They definitely notice. I also don't understand how people allow themselves to get beyond X weight. Same thing I think. That's just my opinion.

For me, it's easy to fool myself into thinking I'm not gaining weight if I don't weigh myself daily. Clothes don't even always fit looser if I weigh less. Depends on time of the month and other factors too. I need to weigh myself every day. It's very hard to notice it on myself otherwise. Nothing to do with not caring.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    As far as weighing daily .How do you know its not water weight? When I use the scale from the gym close to my house I fluctuate between 125 to 130.The scale at the gym close to work I always weighed 131 to 133.I used a different scale from work and its different from the other 2 ones and its a chair scale.I weighed 134.However,someone told me that the scale is 4 to 5 pounds more than the ones at the gym or doctors office. However, my clothes still fit the same
  • Aviva92
    Options
    As far as weighing daily .How do you know its not water weight? When I use the scale from the gym close to my house I fluctuate between 125 to 130.The scale at the gym close to work I always weighed 131 to 133.I used a different scale from work and its different from the other 2 ones and its a chair scale.I weighed 134.However,someone told me that the scale is 4 to 5 pounds more than the ones at the gym or doctors office. However, my clothes still fit the same

you don't. I look for trends. If I'm consistently up a few pounds for a few weeks, I assume it's real weight gain. I have a range where I'm okay with it and if I fall outside that range, I start tracking. I only weigh myself on my home or gym scale which includes just 2 scales. They are pretty much the same for me though. That range seems big unless you're weighing yourself at different times of the day on each. Some of them might be wrong.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    weighing yourself every few months doesn't protect yourself against having an abnormal high because of water weight either. It just gives you less data points to go by. I'd rather have more data points.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I will start logging again if I notice my weight creeping up or if I start getting into old bad habits. So far, so good here.
  • umatej
    umatej Posts: 3
    Options
    Every morning, after the dump. Keep on moving and eating healthier folks. Its really worth it! :)
  • Arya1967
    Arya1967 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can judge by how my clothes fit.

I can't, Spandex and jeans tend to stretch and my tops are baggy enough to accommodate several size increases!

• Aviva92
    Options
    Arya1967 wrote: »

I can't, Spandex and jeans tend to stretch and my tops are baggy enough to accommodate several size increases!

And jeans tend to be tightest right after you wash them too. I don't wash my jeans every time I wear them and they loosen up as I wear them. This can be misleading.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Arya1967 wrote: »

I judge by work clothes, not by jeans. I know where extra weight goes on my body so I can really monitor it pretty well. Besides, I'm not really worried about minute fluctuations. My goal is really overall fitness. So if my clothes fit well and my performance is improving, I'm good. I don't want to be slave to a number. Just like I don't want to be slave to calorie counting. I'm generally eating well and having a blast being active. That for me is sustainable.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    use a scale....

I agree with this. I think everyone notices when they gain a lot of weight. Some people just prefer denial (which is easier when you don't count calories or weight yourself).
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and use TrendWeight.com to track the exponentially smoothed moving average. If it goes up to the point where it is 2.5 lb. over my goal, I'll return to a calorie deficit. The exception is if I know that it's water retention. I had surgery last week, and between the antibiotics and the procedure, I put on several pounds. I know I wasn't overeating, so I figured it was water weight. I shed it over the last 2 days.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

you don't. I look for trends. If I'm consistently up a few pounds for a few weeks, I assume it's real weight gain. I have a range where I'm okay with it and if I fall outside that range, I start tracking. I only weigh myself on my home or gym scale which includes just 2 scales. They are pretty much the same for me though. That range seems big unless you're weighing yourself at different times of the day on each. Some of them might be wrong.

Ok that makes sense:)

• Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I weight daily and allow myself a kilo before I start cutting back. I also have a daily routine to my meals so I know for breakfast and lunch roughly how many calories I am having and for dinner I eat what I want but if it is calorie dense I will have a smaller portion. Then 3 days a week I don't eat lunch because I work from 10-3 with no break so ill just have a dinner at 5. So if im up a little during the week by cutting out that meal 3 days a week (fri,sat,sun) Im back down to my goal weight.