doing everything right but not losing weight

Options
weightlossme
weightlossme Posts: 27
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am at a loss - but not the weight type. You see I am eating perfectly, never going over my calorie intake for the day (1200), always choosing healthy lean green options, and exercising every day 6 days a week in a curves class for 30 minutes or walking briskly for one hour. I am developing muscle and losing cm's (though not a lot) and I have been dedicated to this for the past 3 months - but the scales reflect only a 1kg weight loss if any (goes up and down slightly). So what am I doing wrong? I keep a food diary here online, I do not cheat, I work out till I am sweating and cannot talk, I am relatively a small build weighing 60 Kilos but need to loose at least 6 to get back to pre-children weight. HELP. Getting frustrated.
-

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Please open your diary.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? How do you know you're only eating 1200 calories?

1200 calories means weight loss unless you're shorter..

You're probably eating more than you think you are.
  • weightlossme
    Options
    how? what do you mean? (Newbie)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Go to "home". Click on "settings" (upper right). Click on "diary settings", and set to public.
  • higgins8283801
    Options

What are you doing to get your calorie intake?

Are you weighing your food? Or just assuming you're only eating a serving.
  • weightlossme
    Options
    No - my food day looks like - 2 pieces of fresh fish fillets grilled, kale, abby spinach, a banana, garden salad and a palm size of grilled chicken breast. water. tea. skim milk coffee. - 100% nothing hidden or extras.
    -
  • higgins8283801
    Options
    No - my food day looks like - 2 pieces of fresh fish fillets grilled, kale, abby spinach, a banana, garden salad and a palm size of grilled chicken breast. water. tea. skim milk coffee. - 100% nothing hidden or extras.
    -

So what weight is your fish logged at? If it's 4ozs, did you weigh the fish to make sure you only are 4ozs?

Palm size is eyeballing chicken..

You are eating more than you think.

Get a food scale and weigh your food. Do this for a few weeks and I bet youll see the scale start to move in your favor.

• weightlossme
    Options
    only eating a serving - palm size of my hand (and my hand is small) and Yes I am relatively short (157cm) small frame.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    only eating a serving - palm size of my hand (and my hand is small) and Yes I am relatively short (157cm) small frame.

lol answer above is still true... get a food scale.. weight is all that matters when it comes to food.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    diet is too aggressive for 1200 calories as a starting intake, also weight in the scale doesnt always reflect the TRUE result of your effort, I mean our weight fluctuate between 3 - 5 lbs because of water weight, doesn't mean you are gaining fat. As suggested open diary to public so we can see how & what is the culprit! do you know a can of coke can derail your progress if you drink a can or two everyday? a coffee at gloria jeans? etc. just saying.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    -

It's hard to tell how many calories you are really consuming unless you are weighing everything out. Two "pieces" of grilled fish could be 3oz, or it could be 9oz, and the calorie content is based off its weight; you would not know whether you are eating more or less than you think unless everything is weighed.
  • weightlossme
    Options
    OK for the food scale. Will try this. Many thanks for help people
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    -
    That's not literally what you ate, every day, for the past 3 months. If it is, you should see a doctor because that's an unhealthy amount of control and restriction when it comes to food.

You don't have to cut your intake down to just fish and veggies/fruit to lose weight. Losing weight isn't punishment -- you can eat foods you like and still lose. The first step is to start logging your food into your diary. Choose a reasonable weight loss goal, which depends on how many pounds total you have to lose. Then start weighing and logging your food. Stay under your goal, while weighing your food, for a month. You'll start to lose.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Okay - a few things that stood out to me from your post:
    • you workout until you're sweating and cannot talk. You're not supposed to workout until you can't talk. The trainers I've seen have always said you should be able to carry on a conversation while working out.
    • You are losing centimeters, so that means you're doing something right.

Other thoughts:
    • Realize the closer you get to your goal, the slower it's going to go.
    • Make sure you're accurately assessing your workouts. You may need to increase your calories just a bit.
    • Make sure you're accurately assessing your food intake. When it's getting this close, it all counts. Don't have that miniature reese's peanut butter cup thinking it's nothing - log it anyway. (I know you said you don't cheat - just using that as an example.)
    • When you log - make sure you log everything down to the condiments and/or any dipping sauces. When I'm not losing like I think I should, I become a "food journal Nazi" - log absolutely everything and be very mindful about portion sizes. That usually cures it.

• weightlossme
    Options
    Thanks - and I opened my diary (I think) - and Yes I know my diary is not an indication of the past three months etc as I have been keeping a written diary, didn't think of going online until the past week. I also tend to eat 90% of my calories at breakfast, I do not eat Dinner, I am a BIG meal skipper and always have been. OH and one more thing - I rarely ever feel hungry - I think this means my metabolism is low?. Yes I do log everything, No little treats that I forget about. I gave up my wine like three months ago and really miss that one glass a night of red!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale?
  • weightlossme
    Options
    one more thing - my body fat has dropped according to the measuring thingy the GYM uses. so I am losing cm's and I am losing body fat. Just not actual weight on the scales.
    - which annoys me.
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    one more thing - my body fat has dropped according to the measuring thingy the GYM uses. so I am losing cm's and I am losing body fat. Just not actual weight on the scales.
    - which annoys me.

No-one except you sees the number on the scale. Nobody knows what it is. Everyone can see inch loss.

Not that I'm saying you should do this for anyone else you have to do it for yourself all I'm trying to say is that the number on the scales is less important than the inch and body fat loss

I hope this comes across the way I mean it
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If you're losing fat but not weight then you are gaining muscle. That's a GOOD thing! You can weigh 60kg at 25% body fat and look like crap or weigh 70kg at 15% body fat and look a whole lot better. (Totally random numbers used to illustrate a point)
  • shaena28
    Options
    You are likely gaining muscle which weighs more, but is more trim and smooth- different than merely being young and thin without muscle. I do not disbelieve your records, I think they accurately describe rapid muscle gain from intense workouts while you lose weight, as you are losing cm