I share a desk at work with all the office "treats". I can't stop myself!

Options
2»

Replies

• Trixter93
    Trixter93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a visual barrier. Find something that can block your view of the treats- a plant, a coat rack, anything. Your setup will determine how large it will need to be.
    Also think about changing your orientation. Can your computer, or primary work focus be shifted so that your field of vision is different.
    Remember, staying on track is either about finding a motivation thats is more important to you than the temptation, or finding ways to remove temptations.
  • jadumz
    jadumz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Make a stupid sign next to them saying you're banned from the goodies so EVERYONE knows. I told the people at work I'm on a health kick and I think I've started imagining them judging my food choices haha
  • Jaysus_The_Jay
    Jaysus_The_Jay Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions!

Don't get me wrong, my diary and weight loss shows I'm perfectly fine at managing it all, I just can't stop the temptation.

Plant is a cracking idea, and what the heckings are Dum Dums! Sounds American...
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I went to a meeting today and a huge tub of mini candy bars was put on the desk right where I was sitting. I didn't eat a single piece. I was very proud of myself.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Put something else in their place so they have to move them to another spot :) Do you have to pay for the treats? Don't bring cash! Or like another poster said, exercise that willpower muscle - avoid them and soon you won't even miss them.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Make sure they're out of your line of site. When our office goes to lunch, particularly if it's to a restaurant that serves bread before the meal, I'll tease and put up my hand like a "blinder" and say, "MUST TURN A BLIND EYE..." and repeat that until someone moves the bread. I'll purposely avoid going into our kitchen because people bring stuff in - and it sounds like that isn't possible.

Try to find a new home for them on another side of a wall or other place that's not so visible to you or that you have to sit and stare at it all day.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I've found that when things aren't forbidden, they start to lose their power. Maybe if you allow yourself one a week, and then you can decide, "Am I dying for it right now, or do I want to save it for later just in case?" Knowing you can have it, you just have to choose when, might make it a little less tempting.

I used to think every time I said no to cake at work, I should automatically lose a pound. It's only fair.
  • leyla87
    leyla87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. They're usually within arms reach. I like to think "I can have one anytime but I'm choosing not to right now". Usually after a few hours everyone else has eaten them.
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My colleague on my left keeps eating burgers, fries and cookies at his desk and is constantly offering me something. Every time I say no I feel very strong because I managed to keep my eye on the prize! What's more important, the distraction in form of candy or the long-term goal...?
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    jadumz wrote: »
    Make a stupid sign next to them saying you're banned from the goodies so EVERYONE knows. I told the people at work I'm on a health kick and I think I've started imagining them judging my food choices haha

I hate this idea in a professional environment. It implies he lacks self discipline and needs the help of others to supervise his eating habits.

Instead I suggest you just consume whatever treats you want and fit them into your macro targets or just be responsible enough to limit your intake.
  • lizzyd626
    lizzyd626 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem, I try to keep healthy snacks that still taste good at my desk and if I start to get the urge to grab one of the temptations, I get up to refill my water, go to the bathroom, anything to momentarily get away from them. (Also refilling water that often helps you drink more water, making you fuller & not hungry enough to eat the treats)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    jadumz wrote: »

I hate this idea in a professional environment. It implies he lacks self discipline and needs the help of others to supervise his eating habits.

Instead I suggest you just consume whatever treats you want and fit them into your macro targets or just be responsible enough to limit your intake.
    +1
    /thread

• FenTiger89
    FenTiger89 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    and what the heckings are Dum Dums! Sounds American...

Dum Dums are small lollipops. I always remember getting them when I'd go to the bank with my mum or the doctor's office. They're "just enough" for a little something sweet that won't break the calorie bank.

As far as the treats go...blocking your line of sight or telling yourself that the factory/kitchen they were made in was absolutely filthy and you'd make yourself ill if you ate them. I've heard horror stories about one US chocolate manufacturer that put me off for months!