Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Tobore wrote: »
    keithw2013 wrote: »
    How did you come up with having a blood sugar of 55?

What are you eating and when? Is the only exercise Cardio via treadmill?

I would like to help you.

I checked my blood sugar with a prick.. it said 55...
    yeah 55 is low. it should be above 70 but not over 150.

My blood sugar is always a little under 70... =/ idk why I'm not diabetic tho
    under 70 is considered hypoglycemic. which can be harmful to your health.you need to monitor daily and eat the proper foods to keep it a certain level. sometimes eating every 3-4 hrs can help

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP: If you not losing more then likely you are not in deficit. As everyone suggested get a food scale and weigh all solid foods and measure liquids. Be accurate with your logging and read the sexy pants thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Good luck OP. :)
  • ttesoroni22
    Options
    BMW is a complete farce. Pay no attention to it. If your goal is to lose fat, eating high fat/moderate protein/ultra low carb is the way to go. Without seeing your exact macros it's tough to say but I would guess you're not eating high enough fats versus proteins and carbs. What are your daily macros?
  • Laureani
    Laureani Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    the database isn't always accurate so sometimes I have to guess or makeup my own food.

OP, this is why you aren't losing. You are probably eating more than you think. Enough over 1400 atleast to maintain your weight.

Your BMI is: 32.9
    Target weight range: 111.2 lbs - 150.2 lbs

Under weight - 18.5
    Healthy 18.5 - 25.0
    Overweight 25.0 - 30.0
    Obese 30.0 - more

It takes roughly 2,000-2,200 calories to maintain your current weight.

My suggestion to you since you said you're hungry all the time and aren't losing would be to eat MUCH more fruits, vegetables, and lean meats. These can usually be eaten in large quantities and should keep you full without the huge calorie expense. I would get a food scale or start measuring these out.

Start with very simple easy-to-measure foods like vegetables, fruits, and meats where you KNOW for certain how many calories you're eating. Then add in the fancy meals (like japanese and nigerian) once you've got the hang of adding in the ingredients in a recipe. I'd probably also suggest making all your food (just for the sake of knowing whats in it so you can track it accurately).

You can definitely do this! It's all about accuracy, accountability, and consistency!

Thankyou!!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Yes its your Max goal, but you need to set small obtainable goals and work that way. Its going to take time and patience but if you follow the advise of food scale, measure everything, log everything and eating back at least half of your exercise calories you will see progress

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    If you're of muscular build, BMI doesn't mean as much because BMI doesn't take into account musculature. Your muscular weight at 5'5" is different than a lanky (of someone with little muscle) weight of 5'5". This was an issue I had years ago when I was lifting and a BMI of around 27 was considered normal for my frame and musculature.

Your blood sugar is of much concern, however. Was your meter calibrated recently? Was it before or after a meal? If after, how long after?

about 1 hour after I had a meal, and I actually had rice, isnt that supposed to spike blood sugar???
    yes,but you dont want it to spike or plummet. you want it to stay in a reasonable range at all times. if it spikes too fast it will lead to a sugar crash.
  • Laureani
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you're of muscular build, BMI doesn't mean as much because BMI doesn't take into account musculature. Your muscular weight at 5'5" is different than a lanky (of someone with little muscle) weight of 5'5". This was an issue I had years ago when I was lifting and a BMI of around 27 was considered normal for my frame and musculature.

Your blood sugar is of much concern, however. Was your meter calibrated recently? Was it before or after a meal? If after, how long after?

I was very muscular up until this summer lol... I was about 159 pounds of mostly muscle when I was a wrestler. so I dont know if that counts as having a muscular build?????
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options

about 1 hour after I had a meal, and I actually had rice, isnt that supposed to spike blood sugar???

I would ask the doctor about it. That is very low for a typical person one hour after eating. This is how mine was before being diagnosed with insulin resistance.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    BMW is a complete farce. Pay no attention to it. If your goal is to lose fat, eating high fat/moderate protein/ultra low carb is the way to go. Without seeing your exact macros it's tough to say but I would guess you're not eating high enough fats versus proteins and carbs. What are your daily macros?

BMW is a car......do you mean BMI??
  • Laureani
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

BMW is a car......do you mean BMI??

lol you know what they meant...
  • Laureani
    Options
    keithw2013 wrote: »
    How did you come up with having a blood sugar of 55?

What are you eating and when? Is the only exercise Cardio via treadmill?

I would like to help you.

I checked my blood sugar with a prick.. it said 55...
    yeah 55 is low. it should be above 70 but not over 150.

My blood sugar is always a little under 70... =/ idk why I'm not diabetic tho
    under 70 is considered hypoglycemic. which can be harmful to your health.you need to monitor daily and eat the proper foods to keep it a certain level. sometimes eating every 3-4 hrs can help

yeah I was a bit concerned about that, but Its kinda always been like this even when I was a wrestler
  • Laureani
    Options
    Yes its your Max goal, but you need to set small obtainable goals and work that way. Its going to take time and patience but if you follow the advise of food scale, measure everything, log everything and eating back at least half of your exercise calories you will see progress

Understood
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    time to see the dr about this then. It worries me that its been like this for that long
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

I was very muscular up until this lol... I was about 159 pounds of mostly muscle when I was a wrestler. so I dont know if that counts as having a muscular build?????

OP, even if you had the MAXIMUM amount of muscle your body could build (with years of strength training and a calorie surplus) the highest amount of muscle you could have naturally (without taking steroids) would be 135lbs of lean body mass.

This means that even if you were bodybuilder level muscular you would have 63 pounds of body fat. Or a body fat percentage of minimum 31% right now. That would still put you in the "overweight" category.

It's unfair to say that BMI is "doesn't mean much" as the above poster suggests.
  • NJGamerChick
    edited January 2015
    Options

I was very muscular up until this lol... I was about 159 pounds of mostly muscle when I was a wrestler. so I dont know if that counts as having a muscular build?????

OP, even if you had the MAXIMUM amount of muscle your body could build (with years of strength training and a calorie surplus) the highest amount of muscle you could have naturally (without taking steroids) would be 135lbs of lean body mass.

This means that even if you were bodybuilder level muscular you would have 63 pounds of body fat. Or a body fat percentage of minimum 31% right now. That would still put you in the "overweight" category.

It's unfair to say that BMI is "doesn't mean much" as the above poster suggests.

Being that the female body should be 21% fat for optimum health and the body has things like organs, 160 isn't unreasonable if 135 lbs of lean muscle is acceptable at her height, especially if one is using BMI as a measure of health, which most people seem to want to do. Oh, and then there is water weight, which could be affecting the OP as well.
  • Laureani
    Options
    time to see the dr about this then. It worries me that its been like this for that long

I have another wellness check coming up, I'll state my concerns then, thanks.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Being that the female body should be 21% fat for optimum health and the body has things like organs, 160 isn't unreasonable if 135 lbs of lean muscle is acceptable at her height, especially if one is using BMI as a measure of health, which most people seem to want to do.

I don't think you understood my post at all. =/
  • Laureani
    Options
    MY FOOD DIARY IS NOW OPEN FOR SCRUTINY :cold_sweat::smiley:
  • ttesoroni22
    Options
    According to BMI I was overweight at 5'10" 180. With my 15% body fat I was overweight. My point is don't focus on some health organization's arbitrary classification to measure your success. If your goal is to lose fat not just lose weight look into a high fat low carb style diet. Stay active and don't stress over BMI.
  • NJGamerChick
    Options

Being that the female body should be 21% fat for optimum health and the body has things like organs, 160 isn't unreasonable if 135 lbs of lean muscle is acceptable at her height, especially if one is using BMI as a measure of health, which most people seem to want to do.

I don't think you understood my post at all. =/

I did. My point is that BMI doesn't take into account musculature. Some women are more muscular than others. Bones weigh different amounts, too. To say BMI is an exact science is a farce. My muscular BMI of 25 will be different than some lanky woman's BMI of 25 of the same height. That is what I'm saying. If she is muscular, it is not unheard of a woman tipping into a higher than the calculated normal max BMI and still being of appropriate body fat. That is what I'm saying.