Beginner running gear

Options
Hi, I just started my weight loss journey and am thinking about starting to go for runs. I'm in NY and the averave the past month has been about 5 degrees out. I'm also a sahm. Money is really tight (pretty much non left after bills and groceries) so I don't have a lot to spend on workout clothes.

Can anyone recommend what to wear? I usually wear pajamas pants at home and jeans when I go out. I have a pair of yoga pants too. And a winter jacket, but I don't want to overheat after I start.

I really want to start soon but obviously might have to wait until I have better suited clothes.

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I think someone started a similar thread about a week or so ago, you may be able to search to find it on here.

I found some cheap cold weather compression type pants and top at Dunham's Sports for $15 each piece. I usually layer that with a pair of yoga pants, a t-shirt and a thin fleece jacket that I bought at JC Penney's, warm socks, gloves, and a headband that covers my ears. You may want to try light layers and walk for 30 minutes outside to see how cold or hot you get through your workout. I typically stay cold and this works for me in 30-40 degree weather, colder than that I usually put on a second pair of socks, and a second long sleeve top. For others, they would melt in all of these clothes!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Layers are your friend. I started out with regular hoodies, sweaters and long sleeve shirts and slowly swapped them out for tech gear along the way. I buy a lot of my stuff on sale out of season. Picking up a piece here and there when they are on sale is a good way to build up. Sometimes I'd add one piece a year.

To dress, I start with a wicking layer if you have one (you can usually find these tshirts really cheap at Walmart, target, etc), then a warm layer or two (a turtle neck for one of them is a great idea or you can do a scarf) then I wear a wind breaker type jacket if you have one. Or the outer layer of a 3 in 1 jacket if you have it. You want a layer on the outside to keep wind and rain off but this way you can peel layers as opposed to wearing a winter jacket that's basically all or nothing.

Yoga pants are probably your best bet to run in but you'll probably wear them out so keep that in mind if you use them for other stuff. The worst part is when the ground is wet or snow covered the bottoms get wet and draggy. But you do what you gotta do. If you are wondering where to invest money first, my own opinion is a pair of winter running tights is the first thing for winter running. The rest you can get away with like I mentioned above.

I still wear a regular winter hat and mittens or gloves depending on how cold it is, no fancy gear needed. Those cheap little stretchy gloves are great for kinda cold days and easy to stash if your hands he to warm or layer under another pair of gloves for really cold days.
  • Shadowenfire
    Shadowenfire Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. This gives me a great place to start. I originally googled and felt so overwhelmed.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I do want to add two things - you should be cold when you start out. If you are warm before you run, you'll be too warm runnig. It's going to take a bit to figure out how much you need to wear in what weather. Every winter it's takes me time to figure it out all over again but you'll get the hang of it.

The second is the one thing regular clothes don't tend to have is reflective gear and bright colours. Keep in mind you want to be seen. You can by cheap things to add to keep you visible, like a traffic vest or even buy some reflective tape to stick on. Be seen.

• makinne
    makinne Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner as well. I've been able to get buy with what I already have so far... I wear long underwear, top & bottom (the spandex kind, not thermal weave) with yoga pants and a t-shirt. I add a light polyester jacket with a zipper to adjust my temp thought the run. It's not perfect, but I haven't had to go out and buy new stuff. For me this is plenty warm down to about 10-15. If it gets much colder than that I opt for the treadmill.
  • elizabethjmurphy
    elizabethjmurphy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I live in Ny as well. This is my second winter running in this area. All good advice ESP that you should not be warm when you start.
    Bottoms:
    2 pair socks
    2 pants (I bought long underwear at target for under $20) if you use yoga pants tuck into your sock too bag and the cold will run up,your leg
    Duck tape sneaker if wet/slushy out but not too tight

Tops:
    2 shirts (wick under near skin is great target for under $10)
    Zipper Sweat shirt, wind breaker or fleece for next layer (I bought a running jacket and it's perfect with 2 shirts)

Extra:
    Hat (always)
    Stretch gloves (perfect ESP because they work with my iPhone so I can manage music and runkeeper)
    (Scarf, gator or face mask)- not necessary but I hate wind going down my neck (I see runners in scarfs)

Most important you want to be able to unzip and cool off then zip up again, slide glove off and on and sometimes take hat off so for me the most important thing for winter running is pockets, I take things off and on all run.

It's been cold but once I'm dress and moving I'm good. Everything I mention I only wear if under 30degrees over I wear less.
    Good luck and remember to take it slow and steady, enjoy running!!!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Target has fantastic workout gear. Wal-Mart (Danskin) is decent enough. Kohl's has a huge selection, especially online, and *always* on sale.

My #1 rule for winter running is NO COTTON. When you sweat and cotton gets wet, it stays wet and makes you *cold*. That's where wicking/polyester/synthetic fabrics come in.

Below 30 or so, I run in running tights (probably "compression leggings" at Target), a wicking/Dry-Fit T-shirt, and a light windbreaker. Throw on a hat or headband that covers my ears, non-cotton socks, and fleece mittens. But I run hot, so you might want more.

One good trick is to get a pair of soccer socks from the discount bin and chop off the toes. Boom, instant arm-warmers. For me, these can make a *huge* difference in comfort level.

A good guideline is, you want to be slightly cool when first setting out. Otherwise you will get too hot and sweat too much once you start running. :)
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I just took the advice of the forum and got fitted for running shoes. Best money I've ever spent. They are SO much more comfortable than the shoes I had before.

Id advise you to cheap out on the clothes and go big on the shoes.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    noexcusesjustresults2014 Posts: 212 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    + 1 to layers and no cotton. Its fine to experiment with how many layers are appropriate for you. Its better to be too cool than too warm (in general).

For really windy days you may prefer a neoprene face mask over a hat

Your shoes are much more important that anything else. I would rather run in a pair of jeans (bad idea) with nice running shoes than the best running outfit money can buy with shoes that did not fit properly.