Negative effects of eating disorder

My_Butt
My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
I've had an eating disorder for 17 years and have been eating healthy for over a year now. I'm 27 years old, and I found out I have arthritis in my knees from years of starvation and over exercise. I'm doing a lot of bo staff training and the insanity challenge which is increasing the pain. Anybody know of decent remedies to help with the pain and swelling. I dont want a reason to quit.

Replies

• calliegirl73
    calliegirl73 Posts: 22 Member
    my mom was on coconut oil last summer and realized that she didn't have the pain she used to have. i currently have hip pain and i limit myself to a small amount of walking every day. i just started on the coconut oil yesterday, i am interesting in seeing if it really works. but we also had a dog who couldn't walk without pain, and she was on coconut oil and flaxseed oil last summer too, and by the time she passed away from old age, she was walking and running fine.
  • My_Butt
    Is that in pill form, or liquid?
  • I am a recovering eating disorder gal myself. I just started using this app yesterday. Do you ever get scared about counting your calories too much and falling back into old habits? Also, Epsom salts help relax my joints in a hot bath.
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    I actually had surgery on one of my wrists a few years ago. There was damage due to my eating disorder. My knees crack a lot but I'm lucky in that there is only mild discomfort. On bad days I use A535 cooling gel but that just treats the symptoms, it doesn't really solve the problem. Have you considered speaking with your doctor or a physiotherapist??
  • My_Butt
    I am a recovering eating disorder gal myself. I just started using this app yesterday. Do you ever get scared about counting your calories too much and falling back into old habits? Also, Epsom salts help relax my joints in a hot bath.

When I start to subtract too many calories, or over exercise to combat what I ate, I reassure myself of why I'm 'dieting' in the first place. I'm actually doing bo staff training, and in working on getting certified to be a personal trainer by next winter. I have starved myself, and over exercised since I was 10 years old, and now that I'm 27, I have arthritis in my knees, hips and fingers, I have exercise induced asthma, and I have 2 heart problems (tachycardia and mitral valve prolapse). All those years of depriving myself of fun because I was so consumed with my ED, and I have nothing positive to show for it today.
    I changed my attitude, my emotions, and I feel happier, before I started this program. Mental health is the first step.
  • My_Butt
    andreamaym wrote: »
    I actually had surgery on one of my wrists a few years ago. There was damage due to my eating disorder. My knees crack a lot but I'm lucky in that there is only mild discomfort. On bad days I use A535 cooling gel but that just treats the symptoms, it doesn't really solve the problem. Have you considered speaking with your doctor or a physiotherapist??

I didn't realize how bad it had gotten until recently. Unfortunately, no health or medical insurance where I work right now, but we're supposed to be getting it this year.
  • calliegirl73
    calliegirl73 Posts: 22 Member
    liquid, she puts in coffee.
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Congratulations on overcoming your ED. It's an incredible achievement, especially because it's an ongoing process - celebrate each day as a victory :wink:

As for the arthritis in your knees, it's definitely a challenge, but can be treated. I would suggest doing low-impact, resistance exercises to strengthen your joints overall (yoga and swimming are both excellent).

Also look into working with a physiotherapist (or other appropriately trained therapist) to functionally strengthen your knee joints - this should involve working on a bosu ball (or something similar) to introduce some instability to your training, which will strengthen the accessory muscles that keep your knee joint in proper alignment and minimize wear-and-tear. I must stress that you should definitely work with someone who can monitor your progress. Since you're working towards your certification as a trainer, you can appreciate the need for expert guidance.

Osteoarthritis is an inflammatory condition produced by stress upon the joint. Nutritionally - essential fatty acids like the coconut oil (which is a great source of medium-chain fatty acids), flax seeds and fish oils that have been mentioned, are nutritive and anti-inflammatory. I would also suggest Vit D (look for Vit D3, aim for 2000-3000 IUD, especially if you live in a cold climate) - but would urge you to talk to a healthcare professional like a naturopathic doctor or nutritionist before taking anything more (no one can diagnose your personal, biochemical needs without taking a health history).

Anecdotally, I like to use castor oil over any sore or inflamed joints. Rub it on your knees, cover with plastic wrap, and put a source of dry heat over it (heating pad, hot water bottle, magic bag, etc.) and leave on for 15min to an hour.

Best of luck on your journey. You've come so far already :smile:
  • My_Butt
    Thank you to everyone that answered. The coconut oil was mentioned twice, so I think that'll be a focus in my daily diet now.