Any good recipes for low calorie recipes for shakes, sauces, etc for a VITAMIX!

Options
emmoen
emmoen Posts: 218 Member
looking for tasty recipes to help with diet! Any suggestions

Replies

• jdesunshine
    jdesunshine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love making fruit shakes/smoothies. I start with a basic recipe of 1 cup liquid and 1 cup frozen fruit. Add 1 cup of liquid first to keep fruit from sticking together around the blades (I use skim milk, 100% fruit juice and/or water), then add frozen fruit. Blend until the desired consistency. Enjoy!

You can buy frozen fruit, but I freeze my own. I cut the fruit into chunks, put them in snack size bags, label them, and put them in a container in the freezer to keep them accessible. One banana fits into the snack bag just fine. It's been a great way to use fruit before they go to waste, especially bananas. You can also use fresh fruit, but you would need to add ice. Using frozen fruit eliminates the need for ice.

Be creative and experiment with different liquids and fruits to find your favorites. This summer I had excess seedless watermelon, and since it's so watery, I put it in the blender for a few minutes then poured it into ice cube trays. Once frozen, I put the cubes into snack bags. If I add too much fruit, then I add additional liquid, little bit at a time until the desired consistency. I started with making banana smoothies (my favorite) and experimented from there. So far, I've used bananas, strawberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, watermelon, canned pineapple (I added a little bit with other frozen fruit), and kiwi. I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it can be a great place to start.

I also found great recipes on Vitamix's website with no added sugar: https://www.vitamix.com/Find-Recipes/Search?sort=NAME&cat=Smoothies,No+Added+Sugar
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • RowanFraser
    Options
    I use this one. It makes a LOT but it fills you up pretty good:
    1/2 cup almond or coconut milk
    1/2 raw beet
    1 small carrot
    1cup spinach
    1/4 med english cucumber, peel on
    1 med stalk celery
    1/2 med tomato
    i clementine or 1/2 orange
    1/2 lime, peel removed
    1/2 small lemon peel on
    1/2 small banana
    1/2 med apple
    1/2 cup any frozen fruit
    1 medjool date (pit removed! - yes I made this mistake)

start with the milk and the watery items first then add the harder items.

• smallsopro
    smallsopro Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just got a Vitamix, so I'm looking forward to seeing what else pops up on this thread!

So far, I've enjoyed making tart, berry and greens-filled smoothies a few mornings in a row. You can't taste the spinach, and there's no added sweetener since the banana is plenty sugary to offset the cranberry and yogurt. In the order listed, combine in the blender:

1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
    1/2 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
    1 medium banana
    3/4 cup frozen mixed berries
    1 1/2 cups baby spinach

Also, for what it's worth, an insulated water bottle is an awesome tool when combined with a great blender. You can make yourself a *big* smoothie in the morning, drink half for breakfast, then pour the other half in the bottle to enjoy later on in the day. When doing this, I just double the above recipe.