Calories left

Options
Just curious- if you have say 200-300 calories left on the day but it's after 6 or 7 or whenever you stop eating for the night, do you eat an evening snack to ensure you get your calories? Or do you pat yourself on the back for eating less that day and go to bed?

Replies

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, i eat...if not, i don't. But i don't have any set time that i quit eating....I've been known to eat until i go to bed. Lol
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    I also usually look at overall weekly goals. If I'm 300 under one day and not hungry, but a few days later i feel like eating some cake, i know i have some buffer. :D
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Why would I stop eating at 6pm? Does my digestive tract suddenly close itself off?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I try to get my nutrition which is important to me. And if i have 200 or 300 left i will eat them just to hit my daily goal. This also because my calorie intake is around 1300 and i think i need my nutrition's. When i am not hungry i eat a protein/fiber bar as yummie snack. When i am hungry i eat yogurt with a fruit. Or something else filling.

But it is rare that this happens i pre-plan my day the day before so i always know what i get and how much.
  • cafwinjacks
    cafwinjacks Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also usually look at overall weekly goals. If I'm 300 under one day and not hungry, but a few days later i feel like eating some cake, i know i have some buffer. :D

I like your thinking
  • jeannettemancini
    jeannettemancini Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I can't explain the science behind it but if I eat up until I go to bed I don't lose the same amount of weight as if I stop a few hours before bed even at the same calorie and exercise count.

I usually pre-plan my food too, however the day doesn't always go as I planned. Often I get caught up in work and end up skipping a snack which is why I have a couple hundred left at the end of the day
  • HAS415
    HAS415 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'd pat myself on the back and go to bed but my trainer would give me a swift kick in my butt since I'm supposed to be gaining weight. I have a hard time meeting my high calorie goal he set for me for the day and I'm often left with a *kitten* ton of calories. I have a fear of daytime eating but today I made myself eat all my meals plus one snack and as of an hour ago I had 1,000 calories left. If you have to lose and you're a couple hundred under, I'd leave it at that if you can go without them. If not have the calories and just workout harder tomorrow. Good luck!
  • ana3067
    Options
    I can't explain the science behind it but if I eat up until I go to bed I don't lose the same amount of weight as if I stop a few hours before bed even at the same calorie and exercise count.

I usually pre-plan my food too, however the day doesn't always go as I planned. Often I get caught up in work and end up skipping a snack which is why I have a couple hundred left at the end of the day

You are losing the same amount of weight... it's just potentially affecting scale weight due to water retention, bloating, or food that you still need to poop out. So... just eat?
  • jeannettemancini
    jeannettemancini Posts: 58 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't weigh daily... Or even weekly.

So let me phrase it this way. The periods in my life when I have stopped eating at dinnertime have been way more successful than those when I save a snack for after dinner.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I think that is personal for everybody. I eat every evening a bowl of popcorn around 10
    And lost 60 pounds in the last 90 days
    So no issues to me how late or when i eat.
  • ana3067
    Options
    I don't weigh daily... Or even weekly.

So let me phrase it this way. The periods in my life when I have stopped eating at dinnertime have been way more successful than those when I save a snack for after dinner.

If you are eating the same calories in each scenario, then there is absolutely no difference in your fat loss. You are just seeing random upward/stable scale weight fluctuations due to water weight, bloat, or having food still in your system.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set time when I stop eating, as it doesn't work that way. I usually pre-log my days so I eat the things when I want to have them, like right now, I'm going for the cookies I already added.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    I agree, most likely the fluctuation like that is due to food in your system that wouldn't be there otherwise....maybe tmi, but if I'm constipated, i will gain like 3 lbs overnight, lol.
  • ana3067
    Options
    I agree, most likely the fluctuation like that is due to food in your system that wouldn't be there otherwise....maybe tmi, but if I'm constipated, i will gain like 3 lbs overnight, lol.

This is one reason I try to force a poop before I weigh myself :p
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Just curious- if you have say 200-300 calories left on the day but it's after 6 or 7 or whenever you stop eating for the night, do you eat an evening snack to ensure you get your calories? Or do you pat yourself on the back for eating less that day and go to bed?

Depends on whether or not I've hit my other nutrition goals for me. I might end the day 100-200 calories low, but 300 low is pretty rare for me.
  • woodwisejoe
    Options
    I keep a jar of pistachios nearby for such times in the evening. I count out 10-20 kernels and chew them slowly, enjoying the flavor. Since the pistachios are protein and fat they satisfy my hunger and the mono and polyunsaturated fats are better for me than simple sugars in a Pepsi.
  • beachbum4044
    beachbum4044 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been planning out my meals for the day. I try to eat as soon as I get up and then every 3 hours after that and I don't eat 1 hour before going to bed. This allows for my 3 meals and 3 snacks....for the most part this works well. Just means I pack lunch and 2 snacks for my work day. I ensure I have protein at each meal and snack and something that has a quick release or boost w my snack. Snacks are egg whites and an apple in the morning and almonds and berries in the afternoon. String cheese or baby bells are good too. Smoothies are great at night.....kids love them too and are a great replacement for ice cream.