Feedback on New ChargeHR fitbit?

Options
anybody have this new device? Thinking about upgrading since my fitbit one died. Looking for feedback and/or reviews

Replies

• mfpneuro
    mfpneuro Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Got my Fitbit ChargeHR yesterday and love it! Definitely worth the extra $50... :smile:
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just bought one today; it's still charging up. I'm very excited to try it out.
    This replaces my BodyMedia FIT, which is/was a great product but my free subscription is about to run out, and I don't even know if Jawbone is going to continue supporting it since they've taken over BodyMedia.
    I did a lot of research on this purchase and had it narrowed down to the Garmin Vivosmart, FitBit Charge HR, FitBit Surge, and the Jawbone UP3. Ultimately, I decided:
    • I wanted heart rate monitoring on the device, which disqualifies the Garmin (a chest-strap HRM is available, but I have enough devices strapped to me as it is). Also every review makes an effort to mention how lousy the Garmin app is, and apparently there were some issues with MFP integration early on.
    • The GPS on the Surge is neat but I don't go running, biking, or hiking without my smartphone, so it's redundant. Take out the GPS and the Surge and ChargeHR have basically the same fitness features. Doesn't seem like it's worth the extra hundred bucks.
    • The UP3 will incorporate BodyMedia's superior sensors, but Jawbone's track record is very poor with regards to quality and long-term support. Not to mention that its release has been delayed multiple times - not a good sign. I think it's late March now.

I'll probably write a review once I have it up and running. First impressions though:
    • Despite my bony 6.5" wrists, I bought a Large. It was almost too big but it closes snugly on the last notch. Close call though; know your wrist size before buying.
    • I hate proprietary charging cables, which this thing has. I'll deal with it, but microUSB would have been better; now I have another weird cable in the junk drawer.
    • The band feels nice; stretchy, soft, and squishy.

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    undergloom wrote: »
    I just bought one today; it's still charging up. I'm very excited to try it out.
    This replaces my BodyMedia FIT, which is/was a great product but my free subscription is about to run out, and I don't even know if Jawbone is going to continue supporting it since they've taken over BodyMedia.
    I did a lot of research on this purchase and had it narrowed down to the Garmin Vivosmart, FitBit Charge HR, FitBit Surge, and the Jawbone UP3. Ultimately, I decided:
    • I wanted heart rate monitoring on the device, which disqualifies the Garmin (a chest-strap HRM is available, but I have enough devices strapped to me as it is). Also every review makes an effort to mention how lousy the Garmin app is, and apparently there were some issues with MFP integration early on.
    • The GPS on the Surge is neat but I don't go running, biking, or hiking without my smartphone, so it's redundant. Take out the GPS and the Surge and ChargeHR have basically the same fitness features. Doesn't seem like it's worth the extra hundred bucks.
    • The UP3 will incorporate BodyMedia's superior sensors, but Jawbone's track record is very poor with regards to quality and long-term support. Not to mention that its release has been delayed multiple times - not a good sign. I think it's late March now.

I'll probably write a review once I have it up and running. First impressions though:
    • Despite my bony 6.5" wrists, I bought a Large. It was almost too big but it closes snugly on the last notch. Close call though; know your wrist size before buying.
    • I hate proprietary charging cables, which this thing has. I'll deal with it, but microUSB would have been better; now I have another weird cable in the junk drawer.
    • The band feels nice; stretchy, soft, and squishy.

Keep in mind your supposed to wear it a fingers width above the wristbone (3 when exercising). That being the case, a large is a good call.
  • sweetage123
    sweetage123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for a little over a month now and I love it. There are some accuracy issues (as would be the case with many activity trackers) but nothing that takes away from the overall benefit of using it. For example, one day it told me I climbed 4000 flights of stairs!

I really enjoy seeing my heart rate trend over the day as everything is displayed in nice graph form on their website dashboard, and the sleep tracking is interesting as well.

Disclaimer: my roommate had to return hers because she got a weird skin reaction, but she says she's always had sensitive skin so if you haven't had an issue with wrist jewelry/watches in the past I'd imagine you'll be fine!
  • ehmorell
    Options
    I am confused about the FitBit Charge and using my fitness pal to log walking as exercise. If my exercise it walking, won't this be a duplication of calories burned since fitbit records steps?
  • sara243
    sara243 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ehmorell wrote: »
    I am confused about the FitBit Charge and using my fitness pal to log walking as exercise. If my exercise it walking, won't this be a duplication of calories burned since fitbit records steps?

I used my one like that all the time. It integrates your "exercise" with your overall daily steps and will account for both. You will get extra calories burned with a lot of steps though. MFP works great with the fitbit app. They sync together.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    I upgraded from the Flex to the Charge HR and am wearing it today for the first time. So far, I'm loving it and all the new numbers I get to play with.

Definitely agree on the size - I went with the large, even though I use the small on the Flex. I'm almost near the end with it being a bit snug on the one and three finger spots they suggest. I wanted to get a good read on numbers today, but will try loosening it a bit at a time.

I love the HR monitor which is mostly why I upgraded. I took it out walking four miles today and it was nice to be more accurate than the Flex or my Runkeeper app without having to strap on my chest monitor and HRM.

I love that you can isolate an exercise period and get a reading on just that time. There was a way to do it with the Flex, but it never worked out well - you had to put it in sleep mode.

I didn't care that the Flex didn't show flights of stairs taken, but it's on the Charge HR and I do like it. It was gratifying to see that my walk outside is the equivalent of nine flights of stairs. I easily passed the default ten flights by lunchtime.

What I'm hoping to get used to/not fond of:

I liked the Flex with the snap closure, this one is like wearing a watch and takes longer to get on. Im hoping I won't need it on as snugly as I have it at the moment.

The Flex is water resistant and this is not, so I have to retrain myself to take it off in the shower.

The Flex unit came out of the band and I had all the different colors so I'd change it each time I charge it. This one does not disengage from the unit so it's the same band.

It's a little wider than the Flex, not a big deal.

The battery is supposed to last five days, whereas the Flex was seven. I'm playing with it a lot, so I expect it'll be less than that this week, but once I get over the novelty, I know the less times I press the buttons, the more I save the battery.

I think that's it :smiley:
  • cmsincla
    cmsincla Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love it!!!!!! But I find im charging it every other day if not everyday. But I use it to log my exercises on the treadmill and am pushing the buttons a lot.