healthy ideas for take out thai food?

Options
mom23nuts
mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
looking for what is healthiest on the menu with some flavor too and not just steamed veggies no sauce.

Any ideas? Hubby is due to bring it home at 6pm est

thanks all

Replies

• Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You could tell him you don't want any and just make dinner? but that's what I just do.
  • WayFonda
    WayFonda Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sushi! Cucumber roll in brown rice!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Um...brown rice? soup?
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    a lot of these restaurants have 'weight watcher" menus nowadays...try that!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I eat out all the time... there is no reason to cut back on fun in life!!! Try something like brocolli chicken with steamed rice, or something that doesnt involve fried food. Be careful with sauces like teriyaki sauce that has alot of sodium... I ate chinese last night and thats what i had---and i order about the same at the thai resturant.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love a spicy beef and vegetable stir-fry with rice noodles on the side. I eat about 1/2 to 3/4 of the stir-fry and less than 1/2 cup of the noodles. I usually have Thai once every 2 weeks and it has never slowed my loss down. I do insist on spicy though, I find it stirs up my metabolism quite a bit.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    Larb....
  • alabelle1
    alabelle1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The curry sauces are less cals i think :)
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    yea, spicy dishes boost metabolism. I wouldnt choose a noodle meal, id do rice, but more becasue i know what a cup of rice looks like compared to what a serving a yakisoba noodles might look like, and different brands being different calories, etc, rice is pretty much all the same. I also wouldnt choose a beef dish unless u have the calories for it, beef is alot higher than chicken.
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    Salad rolls are pretty healthy. Most are raw veggies, lettuce, herbs, a small amount of rice noodles, a protein (tofu, shrimp etc.) wrapped in rice paper. Some places add sauce and peanuts, you can always ask for those things left off or on the side. If it is served with a peanut sauce, just ask for a different (chili paste, light soy) one.

Tom Yum soup is also pretty healthy, albeit high in sodium. Lemon grass / garlic / ginger flavored broth with mushrooms, vegetables, herbs and a protein. Add some steamed brown rice and you're set!

Many Thai places also have salads that aren't too bad, just avoid anything with peanut dressing and check for added fried items. Many have raw and picked vegetables and a lean protein with a lot of fresh herbs and a light dressing.

Entrees can be hard. Avoid noodle dishes, curries and the delicious but deadly peanut sauce. You might call ahead and ask if they have items they can modify: steamed instead of stir-fried, sauce on the side, grilled meat etc. The one by my house has a broiled chicken and steamed veggie entree that my partner really likes. It is called Thai BBQ chicken.

Have a great dinner!
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Summer rolls- usually consist of non fried rice paper wrapper, shrimp, carrots, cucumber, rice noodles and fresh herbs.
    Noodle soup, ask for extra veggies.
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    You could tell him you don't want any and just make dinner? but that's what I just do.

ah no he is already getting out of mothers day taking older son to red sox game and besides if you can have take out once in a while on a healthy eating plan just dig my grave now..

Come on people at some point in time other people will be making a meal or 2 for us!
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    ok the soups and the spring sushi rolls sound good wonder on the sodium in the soup though

oh hell!