Living on frozen dinners (Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones) - any comments

Options
I have restarted more careful eating, after months and months of eating a really astonishing amount of pizza daily. It is just possible that I am carrying a tad too much weight just now - my daughter called me tubby the other day - so I am re-committing to calorie counting, etc.

As part of my renewed commitment I find myself, out of convenience, eating frozen TV dinners regularly - reasonably low-calorie items from the Lean Cuisine and Weight Watcher Smart Ones line. It is working for me in terms of calorie targets, keeping the macros roughly in line, keeping me happy and feeling full. In an ideal world I would be cooking for myself and eating fresh, but I am in the unique position of surely being the only person in the world who is busy due to work and life obligations, and frozen glop is super-convenient.

Any thoughts on whether long-term ingestion along these lines is ill-advised? Any chance of growing an extra-limb or anything unexpected as a result?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    It doesn't teach sustainable habits. Also, if your prices are like the ones at my local store, you're paying $2-$4 per tray for a very small portion. You can easily pick one or two days a week to do a bulk meal prep, so you have meals prepared ahead of time. It will save you a lot of money, and make frozen meals a once in a while necessity, rather than something you are relying on now.

So I would say to use some of that money to get a food scale, pick your days to prep (I usually do mine sporadically throughout the week, but Sunday used to be my big day), and get cracking! You can also freeze bulk meals as well so you can heat them up later on at work or wherever life takes you.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I second the taking some time on one day to cook your own frozen gloop, but if that's truly not manageable they aren't going to hurt you unless you have a problem with high sodium. Are you gonna eat them forever though? Seriously see if you can make the time to throw together some home made frozen stuff :)
  • comm1t_1984
    comm1t_1984 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the amount of sodium in the frozen meals. I used to like Lean Cuisine Steamers that were inspired by the Top Chef meals. They were great and usually on sale at Walmart.

After a while, I went to some freezer meal workshops and my son loved getting the meals ready at the beginning of the week with me. We just take the freezer meals out in the morning, by the time we get home everything is thawed and we cook it quick and have supper for the night and a few left over meals. This was always nice because it would give us simple meals and quick meals for lunch and it was healthier than the frozen meals.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The major issue with the boxed dinners is the sodium levels...I personally make my own frozen dinners because of this. Plus...when I make my own, I have the satisfaction of knowing what is in it. It is super easy to make your own, you just have to invest in the tuperware, mason jars, etc, and set out a time to mass produce the meals... Chili, pasta sauce, soups, poached chicken, etc...all super easy frozen staples that are in my inventory for when I am too busy to cook.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think they're a great way to start. They're portion-controlled and can help you get your calories in line, which is the first step.

One step at a time.
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments - much appreciated, particularly in relation to watching sodium content.

I took a quick look at my sodium report for myself for the past week - not too bad at all, but I am only eating one frozen dinner per day, and the rest is fresh (exception being a daily Starbucks bran muffin habit I am having a hard time shaking). I never/rarely add salt to my food otherwise, so overall I am doing okay sodium-wise.

I agree that for me they have been a great way to start, and made transitioning back into more controlled eating pretty painless. But I expect I will work towards some of the batch cooking/freezing suggestions at some point. My cats are not going like it - they have learned to run in terror anytime I experiment in the kitchen, but fingers crossed.
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    For batch cooking, it doesn't have to be gourmet. You can just start with the following simple key ingredients:

* prepare a large batch of a simple, high-fibre carb (I like quinoa or brown rice);
    * make a few days worth of protein (think single chicken breasts, fish fillets, lean beef steak, etc.) which you can bake, roast or grill with whatever seasonings you like;
    * chop up a large quantity of whatever veggies you like (peppers, zucchini and onion go well together) and sautée them lightly in some olive oil and whatever seasoning you like;

Store each item in a separate container. Then each day you can just add an appropriate serving of each of the 3 separate macro-ingredients to a pan, warm it up and you have a stir-fry. Done in about 5 minutes.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments - much appreciated, particularly in relation to watching sodium content.

I took a quick look at my sodium report for myself for the past week - not too bad at all, but I am only eating one frozen dinner per day, and the rest is fresh (exception being a daily Starbucks bran muffin habit I am having a hard time shaking). I never/rarely add salt to my food otherwise, so overall I am doing okay sodium-wise.

I agree that for me they have been a great way to start, and made transitioning back into more controlled eating pretty painless. But I expect I will work towards some of the batch cooking/freezing suggestions at some point. My cats are not going like it - they have learned to run in terror anytime I experiment in the kitchen, but fingers crossed.
    Please teach me this trick of yours that gets the cats to run from food. I have the opposite problem, lol.

Watching sodium and adding more fruits and veggies is a great next step!!

Sodium is so hard to cut down that I think it's great to read up on it and watch it from the get-go. If you leave it for last, it's like starting all over, so might be easier to keep an eye on it as you go.

http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/
  • LizinTx1967
    Options
    I second the taking some time on one day to cook your own frozen gloop, but if that's truly not manageable they aren't going to hurt you unless you have a problem with high sodium. Are you gonna eat them forever though? Seriously see if you can make the time to throw together some home made frozen stuff :)
    They will hurt anyone who has diabetis too with all the sugar and white carbs and even if your not diabetic or borderline diabetic like me I just think white carbs and all that sugar in general isn't healthy for you.

In my thread Frozen foods and low carbs I was talking about the Atkins frozen meals which I think have a lot less sugar and white carbs. However Im not going with that either it still has white carbs.

For a quick easy way to make low carb low fat healthy foods Im choosing the low fat frozen and refridgerated meats that WAlmarts have instead. they have roast beef chicken and frozen fish.

Then Illa dd my own vgies chopped up in it and my own clean carbs. I can put it on an open faced sandwich or use crackers to eat it with after I microwave the meat. I can also take the meat out it in a whole wheat or soft corn tortilla with salsa and lowfat cheese and fat free refried beans, so Id microwave it first then put together the taco which would only take a few minutes then remicrowave it and it would still only take a few minutes so its still quick and easy!

That way you get the clean carbs instead of all the sugar and white carbs and way less sodium so its a lot healthier then the frozen dinners.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    They will hurt anyone who has diabetis too with all the sugar and white carbs and even if your not diabetic or borderline diabetic like me I just think white carbs and all that sugar in general isn't healthy for you.

In my thread Frozen foods and low carbs I was talking about the Atkins frozen meals which I think have a lot less sugar and white carbs. However Im not going with that either it still has white carbs.

For a quick easy way to make low carb low fat healthy foods Im choosing the low fat frozen and refridgerated meats that WAlmarts have instead. they have roast beef chicken and frozen fish.

Then Illa dd my own vgies chopped up in it and my own clean carbs. I can put it on an open faced sandwich or use crackers to eat it with after I microwave the meat. I can also take the meat out it in a whole wheat or soft corn tortilla with salsa and lowfat cheese and fat free refried beans, so Id microwave it first then put together the taco which would only take a few minutes then remicrowave it and it would still only take a few minutes so its still quick and easy!

That way you get the clean carbs instead of all the sugar and white carbs and way less sodium so its a lot healthier then the frozen dinners.

Man am I glad its then of the day and hopefully the nonsense above about the debil sucrose will go unnnoticed.............

• LizinTx1967
    Options
    whats dibil sucrose? nonsense? yes please explain ty.
  • LizinTx1967
    Options
    theres been a lot of nonsense in this thread because people keep saying the only danger in those tv dinners are sodium huh? Id say a ton of sugar and white carbs is very dangerous sorry, so I see the nonsense here too.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    theres been a lot of nonsense in this thread because people keep saying the only danger in those tv dinners are sodium huh? Id say a ton of sugar and white carbs is very dangerous sorry, so I see the nonsense here too.

Sugar and "white carbs" are not dangerous unless you have a medical condition that requires you to watch your intake of sugar or carbohydrates.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Sounds great! I'm sure the fear your cats experience will subside after a few times experimenting in the kitchen. :)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    you can sure lose weight on them. I lost my first 35 lbs out of 50 that way. Not very healthy, all the sodium but it worked weight wise. I got tired of frozen dinners anyway, now eat healthy.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options

Please, can I smack you with my insulin pump?

If a person knows how to look at a frozen meal's nutrition facts and ingredients list, they can easily determine if that meal fits their dietary needs. I'm a TYPE 1 diabetic (don't say that I got it from eating sugar), and frozen meals are a staple for evenings where I don't have any extra chicken breasts in my fridge, and I do not want to take insulin for what the rest of my family is having. There's some brands that feature lean meats and whole grains without a ton of sodium (I am a fan of the Healthy Choice meals) and they make a decent meal when paired with some frozen vegetables. Even when eating these "hurtful frozen meals", I still am keeping my A1C in the high 5%.

Carbs are carbs. There's no "clean" carbs, and there's no "bad" carbs. Honestly, I have no idea what you mean by "white carbs". There's refined carbs and non-refined carbs (whole grains), but they're both broken down into glucose -sugar- by the digestive system. The body metabolizes all carbs -excluding dietary fiber and sugar alcohols- the exact same, but the only difference is how quickly the carbs are metabolized (and the subsequent release of glucose from the intestines into the blood stream).

In regards to the OP's main question, I haven't grown an extra limb from eating frozen dinners. It does take some searching though to find food brands that won't blow through your sodium limit and still taste good.
  • JScottBldrs
    JScottBldrs Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here.............There not going to kill you, but not a good alternative.......don't be lazy, take the time to cook in bulk so you don;'t have to eat them....and it keeps the trash they generate out of the landfill
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My only beef with them is they're not filling enough. For lunch or a snack, maybe the Amy's light meal-okay. But I need volume. And as far as sodium goes, I'm a salt monster so I bet I put a comparable amount in my own "cooking" (which consists of putting the same vegetables into a pan every night with ground turkey).
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    meryl135 wrote: »
    For batch cooking, it doesn't have to be gourmet. You can just start with the following simple key ingredients:

* prepare a large batch of a simple, high-fibre carb (I like quinoa or brown rice);
    * make a few days worth of protein (think single chicken breasts, fish fillets, lean beef steak, etc.) which you can bake, roast or grill with whatever seasonings you like;
    * chop up a large quantity of whatever veggies you like (peppers, zucchini and onion go well together) and sautée them lightly in some olive oil and whatever seasoning you like;

Store each item in a separate container. Then each day you can just add an appropriate serving of each of the 3 separate macro-ingredients to a pan, warm it up and you have a stir-fry. Done in about 5 minutes.

That is an excellent idea. Why didn't I think of it?

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options

Life is so frikken complicated, especially those darn white foods, eh? I like the cracker swap for those white carbs, bravo, you got this.