food ideas

Options
I am looking for zero to super low calorie foods and drinks
and if they are fruits and veggies, what can i do with them, because I would rather make something with them, than eat them plain.
I feel like I have no options for food :(

Replies

• kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you on that you are looking for zero-calorie foods? Either way. Roasted veggies seasoned with spices of choice (e.g. cumin roast cauliflower and carrots). Water with lemon juice. Whipped egg whites (more volume) with cherry tomatoes (as an omelette). That's about as far as I get.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I recommend home cooking with lots of vegetables.

I made a chilli last night with 3 onions (391g), 1 head of celery (431g), 4 carrots (370g), 3 cloves garlic (18g), 500g lean ground beef, a handful of green chillies (20g), 16g ground cumin, 800g tinned tomatoes, pack of runner beans (185g), 7g ground coriander, 3 bell peppers (249g) and 30g cilantro.

makes 8 generous bowls full at 216 calories a portion.
    I appreciate this isn't calorie free, but it's pretty low cal for a main meal.

Put as many vegetables as possible into your meals to make them look like more food for your calories (I like my meals to look big) and make sure there's some protein in there too to keep you full for a while.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    1 Make an account on Pinterest. Use search terms for vegetables and such.
    2 Subscribe to people on youtube:

Cooking Video: Vegetables Three New Ways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upHhbwIBezc
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am looking for zero to super low calorie foods and drinks

Stop doing that. Drink water, black coffee and tea, which has no calories, and eat food. Food has calories, that's the number one reason why we eat. Just use your diary and try to hit your calorie goal every day.

and if they are fruits and veggies, what can i do with them, because I would rather make something with them, than eat them plain.

Google recipe + "name of fruit/veggie".

I feel like I have no options for food :(

The possibilities are endless!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking for zero or super low calorie foods? What's your daily target?

Assuming it's the MFP default of 1200 calories per day, there are PLENTY of options within that.

Breakfast - boiled egg (80) toast (100), apple (60)
    Lunch - chicken salad - 300
    Dinner - steak and ratatouille - 400

Still leaves you 300 calories for extras.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    There are many, many options. You can take almost any soup, stew or chili recipe and add tons of vegetables like celery, carrots, green peppers. It will add volume and make you feel fuller with minimum extra calories. I enjoy adding fruit (apples, blueberries, strawberries) to my 1% fat cottage cheese in the morning. I use lower fat cottage cheese because I like to save my fat allotment for a tablespoon of good quality herb infused olive oil over my roasted vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, or assorted root veggies). You can do this but don't over restrict.
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    BirdyWeirdy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    No my daily goal is higher because I weigh do much it's like 2100.. but I find myself as always going over, so I need to find lower calorie foods...
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Now there's a start. There's a huge difference between lower calorie foods and zero calorie foods. What do you usually eat? Because, not to be rude, but you can eat a ton of food on 2100 calories. So either you need to eat less, or you need to make better choices. But for the latter point, it would help to know what you're eating now.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Agreed, 2000 is plenty to play with - can you open your diary?
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you want to add me as a friend, you can see my log. I work with 1740 calories a day which would give you an extra 360 to work with. You can see how I eat my calories and get ideas for what might work for you.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind is balance. I try to balance my protein, fat and carbohydrates to keep me full. I had a medium banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter for breakfast and although it doesn't sound like much it is well balanced and I feel very full. I have been on tons of diets that restrict either fats or carbohydrates and they have always failed because I was hungry. If the pie chart on my phone is almost even with just a little bit bigger slice for carbohydrates I feel my best and tend not to be hungry.
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    BirdyWeirdy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I normally have eggs for breakfast, and my doctor recommended i eat 1800 calories per day. and i have been pretty leveled out. :)