Calories burned according to treadmill readout vs MyFitnessPal estimation

Options
After a treadmill or stairmaster workout, what the machine's readout states are my calories-burned is always substantially lower than what MyFitnessPal gives when I enter that same workout. MyFitnessPal sometimes logs as much as twice what the machine said.
Anyone else having this happen?...

Replies

• RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yes. Mfp always gives me a very generous estimation. I do home workouts and my elliptical's own readouts weren't working, so I got a heart rate monitor. I go by that. Except in the case of yoga, mfp always gives me a much higher number of burned calories than I actually burned
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM and the number it gives me is always much closer to the machine than MFP.
  • queensley69
    queensley69 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ah. SO I should DEFINITELY stop trusting MFP on calories burned. That explains.. a LOT. *sigh* :)

Thanks for the info!
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    After a treadmill or stairmaster workout, what the machine's readout states are my calories-burned is always substantially lower than what MyFitnessPal gives when I enter that same workout. MyFitnessPal sometimes logs as much as twice what the machine said.
    Anyone else having this happen?...

yes, I had that same question yesterday and today. Which one do you use for your diary?

• goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should tell Mfp about this?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Ah. SO I should DEFINITELY stop trusting MFP on calories burned. That explains.. a LOT. *sigh* :)

Thanks for the info!

yup LOL

the HRM i borrowed was very close to the machine (when you input your weight and all) - so i use that. mfp estimates are way off LOL
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What entries are you using?