Whole-food, dairy-free vegetarian--trouble meeting daily protein grams.

Options
Thought maybe some other users might have some ideas for me. I have recently started tracking my food and am frequently coming under in protein. I like to follow WHO guidelines (46 g/day minimum for women) rather than MFPs, which seem ridiculously high, but even then it can be a struggle. I eat a 100% vegetarian diet (have for 15 years...that's not changing), I avoid processed foods (so I treat things like BOCA burgers, "fake" meats, etc. as I would any other junk food: use sparingly), and do not eat dairy (so things like whey-based protein powders and Greek yogurt are out). To top it off I work a job with occasionally long and sporadic hours--I often have days where I go 8-13 hours with no more than a minute or two to eat a banana or a handful of nuts. I feel like upping my protein might help me feel fuller throughout long shifts.
I am fairly short (5'3") and already at a relatively healthy weight (131 lbs), working a mostly sedentary job, so my caloric needs are not very forgiving. Trying to meet my protein requirements using only plant-based options, eggs, and things like quinoa, without going over the 1350 cals MFP gives me, kind of has me stumped.
Any body else in a similar situation and figure out something that works for you?

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    More eggs and vegan protein powder.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No meat or dairy, but eggs are okay?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Do you consider homemade seitan, or wheat meat a junk food? Chickpeas, lentils, vegan protein powder. What about tofu?
  • KatSe2015
    KatSe2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I guess you already do that, but try to include all forms of lentils in your diet. A lot of protein and options to prepare them.
  • RealLifeDaria
    RealLifeDaria Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I try to limit my egg consumption to 2/day, mostly because I only buy free-range organic eggs, which are pretty pricey. I have a vegan hemp protein powder, but its 130 cals for 11 grams of protein, and I have a hard time justifying drinking my calories because it never makes me feel full. Maybe it'd be worth it though?
  • RealLifeDaria
    Options
    Love tofu! I just try not to go too crazy with it due to the whole phytoestrogen thing.
  • RealLifeDaria
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    No meat or dairy, but eggs are okay?
    I don't eat meat for ethical reasons. I don't eat dairy because my digestive system does not approve.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I try to limit my egg consumption to 2/day, mostly because I only buy free-range organic eggs, which are pretty pricey. I have a vegan hemp protein powder, but its 130 cals for 11 grams of protein, and I have a hard time justifying drinking my calories because it never makes me feel full. Maybe it'd be worth it though?
    11g of protein gets you almost 25% of the way to your goal, but I agree with you about not getting full from drinking calories. Look up recipes for things like homemade protein pancakes or overnight oats that use protein powder. Pinterest has a ton of them :) I mix protein powder into plain yogurt and add some fruit, but I don't think I've seen plain coconut yogurt and I'm assuming you wouldn't want to eat soy yogurt.
  • RealLifeDaria
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    11g of protein gets you almost 25% of the way to your goal, but I agree with you about not getting full from drinking calories. Look up recipes for things like homemade protein pancakes or overnight oats that use protein powder. Pinterest has a ton of them :) I mix protein powder into plain yogurt and add some fruit, but I don't think I've seen plain coconut yogurt and I'm assuming you wouldn't want to eat soy yogurt.

I LOVE overnight oats and have never thought of adding protein powder to them! What a great idea!
  • 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I didn't really eat cereal for years but realized recently that I needed to up my fibre intake - I found a cereal I really like that's high in fibre and protein and also low in sugar, so I eat it most mornings (5g protein, 7g fibre in 1 cup) - as a vegetarian it's a good idea for you to pair this with a milk alternative that's fortified with B12 if possible. Throw in some fruit and maybe a few nuts for extra protein and you should be good until lunch.

IMG_0224.jpg

I really love tempeh, it tastes the best when marinated and cooked, but is actually very good for you raw as well, my understanding is that since it's fermented the probiotic benefits are best retained with raw consumption (extra bonus points for conducivity to laziness). Not sure what's available where you are, but I buy Henry's tempeh which has 3 servings in a package, 16g protein at 150 calories each, so pretty good. Half a cup of black beans has 130 calories and 9g protein. An egg has about 6g protein, so if you make a spinach salad with 100g spinach (2g protein), a hard boiled egg, tempeh, black beans and some vegetables, it's quick and portable, and at about 33g protein that's 2/3 of your goal for the day. If you can find some raw buckwheat kernels, they're really easy to sprout, just takes a couple days, and they have 4g protein per 50 grams, about a gram of protein per tablespoon. This salad paired with the cereal above will bring you to your goal.

Spirulina powder i also high in protein but it's kind of weird, I have a hard time fitting it into recipes, personally.
  • jnc777
    jnc777 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i have some pulsin soya vegan protein powder, 35 cals for 9g protein - i cook with it some or mix up in smoothie - might give you more flex than the hemp
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Apologies if this has been covered:
    Do you eat eggs? (You said vegetarian, not vegan...) If you do, more eggs? The only meat protein I eat is eggs. I have a dairy allergy and simply feel better when I don't eat meat. I don't eat soy either since it upsets my stomach. My main sources of protein are: eggs, hemp seeds, plant-based protein powders (although I don't rely on these), lentils, other beans/legumes (but mostly lentils since they're super easy to cook up). I usually get between 60-90 grams of protein a day with those as my main protein sources...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Now Foods has pea protein powder that has 28 grams of protein. I'd also third (or is it fourth) the recommendation for lentils and more eggs. I eat my eggs with a boatload of frozen spinach (it's easier to eat a lot that way, I usually eat about 5.5 ounces). I get about 6 grams of protein just from the spinach in the morning.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

I wouldn't even eat those before I was a vegetarian.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you are eating any carbs cut them drastically in order to fit in the beans, lentils, nuts, chia seeds, sunflower seeds.
  • tostaky
    tostaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oysters? Do they have proteins then?

• RealLifeDaria
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your recommendations--but oysters are not going happen :#
    The cereal idea is not bad although its hard for me to bring myself to eat something cold for breakfast--usually I'm getting up around 4:30am and all my belly wants is something warm! Could be a good light lunch for days that I am home/able to eat lunch as well.