Fellow Powerlifters

Options
Hi,

I have been following a 5x5 program for some time now, with the intent to gain strength and some muscle. Anything you have learned relating to increasing gains, breaking plateaus, and general motivation is greatly appreciated.

Stay lean, stay mean

Replies

• BigmanTG
    BigmanTG Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Sure bud! Just keep your muscles confused, maybe switch to 10x10's or Doggcrapp (DC) training will get you to growing again.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    BigmanTG wrote: »
    Sure bud! Just keep your muscles confused, maybe switch to 10x10's or Doggcrapp (DC) training will get you to growing again.

muscle confusion is rubbish.

If you really are not getting what you want- yes you have to change something- and sometimes it's your programing- but's about the programming- and taking the step back- and then forward again that's doing it- not- muscle confusion.

If you're really actually stalled out- meaning you've deloaded- and worked back up- it might be time for A. a bulk or B. a different program that's designed for an intermediate lifter. You can't just keep adding weight every time you lift- you run out of juice at some point- you'll need a program that works volume and intensity- which one is right for you? that is no one can answer but you.

Wendlers
    Greyskull
    ice cream I think
    texas
    cube method
    smolove- more advanded
    sheiko- more advanced
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    At 19, you're right at the perfect age for this stuff. Are you stuck currently?
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Wendlers
    Greyskull
    ice cream I think
    texas
    cube method
    smolove- more advanded
    sheiko- more advanced
    also Madcow

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    If you are hitting plateaus then it might be time to move on from 5x5 to an intermediate program. Jo had given you some good ones. West Side, Texas Method, and Wendler 531 ate probably the most popular and best for the intermediate lifter.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Are you actually hitting a plateau or just asking in general?

Basically, at 19 and being a guy, there's nothing more to it than eating like a horse (or a lion, since we don't want to be just munching carrots all day long) and lifting like a beast. Your body is still producing testosterone and growth hormones like there's no tomorrow, so if you keep eating and lifting, you should keep gaining even with a linear progression such as 5x5 for quite a long time.

Also, keep milking 5x5 by going to 3x5, 3x3 and 3x1 before giving up on it.
  • JoRocka
    edited January 2015
    Options

Wendlers
    Greyskull
    ice cream I think
    texas
    cube method
    smolove- more advanded
    sheiko- more advanced
    also Madcow

yes- forgot that one. LOL- I knew there was another I totally couldn't remember. thank you.
    Basically, at 19 and being a guy, there's nothing more to it than eating like a horse (or a lion, since we don't want to be just munching carrots all day long) and lifting like a beast. Your body is still producing testosterone and growth hormones like there's no tomorrow, so if you keep eating and lifting, you should keep gaining even with a linear progression such as 5x5 for quite a long time
    YES.

what I wouldn't give to be 19 and male. if I knew now what I knew then. <le sigh>
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    There are no 'secrets' to the process.

Train. Eat. Rest. Repeat.

Ensure you're following a PROPER program (JoRocka outlined some great options). Something with structured progression and emphasis on the Big 3 is key.

Eat to grow. Don't be afraid of a little fluff. Get big. Get strong. Make weight when it comes show time.

I followed 5/3/1 - the original version - for 4 cycles, in that time frame I added 105lbs to my total for my Big 3, and had 0 issues with stalling in progression.

Easily could have pushed fr 6-7 without having to reset or stall, but I've since switched to the 'Boring But Big' version of the program, simply for the increased volume + hypertrophy work.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Ensure you're following a PROPER program (JoRocka outlined some great options). Something with structured progression and emphasis on the Big 3 is key.

Eat to grow. Don't be afraid of a little fluff. Get big. Get strong. Make weight when it comes show time.

I followed 5/3/1 - the original version - for 4 cycles, in that time frame I added 105lbs to my total for my Big 3, and had 0 issues with stalling in progression.

Easily could have pushed fr 6-7 without having to reset or stall, but I've since switched to the 'Boring But Big' version of the program, simply for the increased volume + hypertrophy work.

I'm finishing up my 3rd cycle this week and the results have been great. My bench is up 15lbs and my deadlifts and squats are up about 45lbs each. TBH I don't I wasn't finished my regains but based on my previous linear progression I'm at least even with linear and it's not as boring.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Wendler has a newer book called "Beyond 5/3/1" and it's really an excellent follow-up. There are some templates in there specific to maximal effort training, adjusting volume and "heavy" work / singles. His website is very educational as well, many powerlifters on there.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I love 531 too. I was doing my own version of 5x5 before that and I've definitely been more motivated and made better improvements using Wendler's program. Well, that and eating a boat load more!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Wendler has a newer book called "Beyond 5/3/1" and it's really an excellent follow-up. There are some templates in there specific to maximal effort training, adjusting volume and "heavy" work / singles. His website is very educational as well, many powerlifters on there.

I want to research this.

But I'm months away- I need a break from the big lifts... I've been running sheiko or some variation since forever. I'm finishing Sheiko Beg 2- adn then I want to run a real Sheiko rotation (I botched my first 12 week attempt with lack of knowledge)... so I'm going to run it again for real- in the proper periodization- and then after that switch to something more BB orieted.... then after a cycle of that maybe try Wendlers. and then Wendlers plus. I don't want to do a squat centric program though- I'm already squatting 4 times a week (2 days with 2 separate session each lift)- so I don't want to do smolov.

I just want to try ALL the programs.

I've actually considered running 5 x 5 just to try it. - I feel like I might be bored- but might be worth just to do.
  • nanosuitninja
    nanosuitninja Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    BigmanTG wrote: »

Wendlers
    Greyskull
    ice cream I think
    texas
    cube method
    smolove- more advanded
    sheiko- more advanced

At what point should i consider myself an intermediate lifter? Time frames probably won't work for me as i have been on and off strength training. I'm still making gains on squat and deadlift, but stalling on bench. I currently weigh 66kg (145 lbs), squat 100kg (220lbs)x5, deadlift 110kg (242lbs)x5, and bench 66kg (145lbs)x5
    At these weights, would you suggest continuing on my current program for as long as possible, or begin thinking about switching to intermediate once squat and deadlift plateau?
    Thanks for the intermediate suggestions, i'll do some research on them.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

How do you like the BBB? I for the life of me could not decide which assistance program I wanted to follow. I found the bodybuilding one he recommends and have been doing that for this cycle. How many cycles do you think you should stick with the same assistance program?
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    duuuuuuuude. stick with a program until the gains don't come. Then use the program's deloading, and if you'er still stuck - then you're not a beginner anymore. Take it from someone that's messed up by program hopping too soon too many times.