feeling a bit discouraged with my weight gain mission...

Options
A little background about me:
I have a medical condition that prevents my body from absorbing all the nutrients I need in order to be healthy. I have to consume 3,000 calories just to maintain my weight at 83-87 lbs. Ever since I was in highschool I've had this obsession with putting weight on. It got to the point where I would make myself sick from eating too much.

It's been really difficult to ignore my lack of body fat when people are constantly pointing out how skinny I am, I've fought depression for so long because of it. My self esteem had been dragging on the floor this past year after I lost even MORE weight due to pneumonia. In the past month I had barely began to feel better about myself because my appetite was slowly coming back and the numbers on the scale kept growing a bit. I was starting to feel good again!

But then the other day, my boyfriend and I were hanging out with some people we recently befriended. Somehow, the subject of age came up and everyone mentioned theirs (20-26). I mentioned mine (23) and everyone was shocked. One of the guys there even said he thought I was in my mid to late thirties because I looked so old! It was like a slap in the face. I never realized how drastic of an effect a lack of body fat can have! I felt this ugly feeling creeping up on me to know how old, sickly, and frail I must look in the eyes of others.
I want to continue this weight gain journey for my health but I don't want it to turn into an unhealthy obsession.

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Don't give up girl!

Although I haven't been in your shoes I do have an idea for you. Feel free to friend me and we can chat!
  • TheBattleAxe
    TheBattleAxe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Gosh I feel for you. Most people are on a mission to go the other way. You don't mention exercise. Are you able to build your body up through increasing muscle ? Lifting weights, yoga, swimming????
    Not sure that giving up is an option but maybe changing the method of weight gain.
    Forgive me if I'm missing my manners, I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to help.
  • onitap5
    onitap5 Posts: 13
    Options
    Gosh I feel for you. Most people are on a mission to go the other way. You don't mention exercise. Are you able to build your body up through increasing muscle ? Lifting weights, yoga, swimming????
    Not sure that giving up is an option but maybe changing the method of weight gain.
    Forgive me if I'm missing my manners, I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to help.

No worries, not rude at all. I used to do bjj and boxing a few years back. I had some lung problems and I had to stop. I've recently started weight lifting and doing some yoga. Unfortunately I have to limit myself to once or twice a week.
  • slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    when you workout, does your appetite change at all or does it remain steady?
  • onitap5
    Options
    slittle80 wrote: »
    when you workout, does your appetite change at all or does it remain steady?

Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. In those times that it does, I take advantage and eat EVERYTHING in sight.

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose, but I have had family members and friends who wanted to gain and they just couldn't. I feel for you as I think this is much more difficult if your body fights it. One friend of mine who was extremely thin had a daughter who was also extremely thin. Her daughter was accused of anorexia or bulemia and school psychologists were called before they ever even went to her mom. She was embarassed and felt so bad as a young girl who knew she wasn't anorexic and couldn't get adults to believe her.

Finally, I assume you have had medical tests done. My daughter had Grave's disease and it can cause huge weight loss. So can diabetes.

I don't have any advice, but good luck!
  • onitap5
    Options
    Don't give up girl!

Although I haven't been in your shoes I do have an idea for you. Feel free to friend me and we can chat!

Thank you! I sent you a friend request but Im still trying to figure this app out so I might be wrong!
    I'm trying to lose, but I have had family members and friends who wanted to gain and they just couldn't. I feel for you as I think this is much more difficult if your body fights it. One friend of mine who was extremely thin had a daughter who was also extremely thin. Her daughter was accused of anorexia or bulemia and school psychologists were called before they ever even went to her mom. She was embarassed and felt so bad as a young girl who knew she wasn't anorexic and couldn't get adults to believe her.

Finally, I assume you have had medical tests done. My daughter had Grave's disease and it can cause huge weight loss. So can diabetes.

I don't have any advice, but good luck!
    Thanks! You're right, it is difficult and it can be very embarrassing!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You have my sympathies. I think many of us can relate to the sensitive weight issue. My youngest son was rather lean until he hit puberty. I remember people wondering if I fed him. But he outgrew it, somewhat. He'd get so mad when his older brother called him a shrimp with cocktail sauce.

Unfortunately we all have our battles. I'm sure you are educated in your particular situation so I'll forgo the "what to eat" advice. Maybe dermal injections could help your face. I know they can be expensive. Good luck.