Craving ice cream

Options
It's the middle of winter and I workout 5 days a week (bootcamp burning roughly 500-800 calories per session) and lately all I'm wanting after I'm done workout is ice cream or sorbet or those frozen lemon ice cups. The workouts are something I've been doing regularily for the last 4 months but within the last week the cravings are coming on. I don't get the ice cream/sorbet cravings in summer.. only in the winter. I eat clean the majority of the day and don't drink soda or juices.

How are you guys overcoming the cravings?

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    By buying single pints of the good stuff and living with someone who will finish it off by the time I go back for seconds.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Or, if you can't ration yourself and just have a portion when it works with your calorie/nutrient targets, go buy yourself a single scoop in an ice cream parlor. That way you don't even have it in the house.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I work it into my day and log it. I had homemade coffee ice cream yesterday. Sooo good.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I just eat the ice cream. I haven't bought ice cream lately, but I used to regularly have ice cream every night after working out...and I still lost weight. I'd buy individual serving cups, and I'd work them into my day, calorie wise.
  • projecthotbel
    projecthotbel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Eat it. :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    There's this thing called mashed bananas...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    There's this thing called mashed bananas...

You're fired...
  • belindaferre5
    Options
    I buy the light ice cream, I like it more always have. I on first opening of container when its soft I cut with blunt knife the potions of what I want cal to have so its all cut in portions when you open it up next time.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches...... ummmmmm........ :smile:
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that if I don't eat ice cream every night I'd go crazy...
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I'd eat it
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I'm getting really bad ice cream cravings in the winter too. So I've been eating some every Sunday, and I don't feel so deprived during the week. I've been doing insanity, and the calories I burn from that is enough to burn up my ice cream calories.
  • turnercherrie
    Options
    There's a brand called skinny cow, which do very low fat, low kcal ice cream

Or if you can't find that freeze a low fat yoghurt
  • CatJill86
    CatJill86 Posts: 35 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I get the salted caramel pretzel skinny cow and have those as my reward for the day :) They're amazing and they only have 160 cal and pretty low carbs. Also the cookies and dough is pretty good as well! LOVE SKINNY COW!!!!!!!!!!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I eat at least a cup every night.
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    blend frozen bananas... works for me everytime... but i do love ice cream... and if i want it, ill get a mcdonalds vanilla cone... its like 170 cals and i can normally work it in to fit my cals for the day
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    blend frozen bananas... works for me everytime... but i do love ice cream... and if i want it, ill get a mcdonalds vanilla cone... its like 170 cals and i can normally work it in to fit my cals for the day

Agree- fit it in and have it. BUT blended frozen banana is delicious. I made some last night. (But I'm weird & searched the entire boardwalk for frozen chocolate covered bananas one summer while the rest of my family was eating Kohr Brothers.) It's got a very mild flavor so you could add a little vanilla to it, and the texture is so similar to 'real' ice cream. Peel the bananas before you freeze them though or they're a PITA.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »

Agree- fit it in and have it. BUT blended frozen banana is delicious. I made some last night. (But I'm weird & searched the entire boardwalk for frozen chocolate covered bananas one summer while the rest of my family was eating Kohr Brothers.) It's got a very mild flavor so you could add a little vanilla to it, and the texture is so similar to 'real' ice cream. Peel the bananas before you freeze them though or they're a PITA.

sparta-banana.gif
    frozen banana in answer to frozen banana
    MOAR FROZEN BANANANANA!!11!!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    megstoo wrote: »
    It's the middle of winter and I workout 5 days a week (bootcamp burning roughly 500-800 calories per session) and lately all I'm wanting after I'm done workout is ice cream or sorbet or those frozen lemon ice cups. The workouts are something I've been doing regularily for the last 4 months but within the last week the cravings are coming on. I don't get the ice cream/sorbet cravings in summer.. only in the winter. I eat clean the majority of the day and don't drink soda or juices.

How are you guys overcoming the cravings?

I don't see anything wrong with just having some ice cream. I haven't been eating it lately--I've been trying to experiment with some other options--but I used some of my exercise calories for 150-250 calories of frozen dessert (gelato, ice cream, frozen yogurt) for months while losing much of the weight I've lost, and had no problem with it. I just logged the calories.

I am interested in eating a healthy diet, but I don't think that means you have to cut out all indulgences.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow chocolate ganache cone is my favorite. 160 calories.