Eating Out

Options
How do you figure in calories when you eat out and have no idea how much of what goes into what you are eating?

Replies

• LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Most of the restaurants that I go to are already in the database. Those that aren't, I look up the nutritional information through the restaurant's official website and then enter it into the MFP database. Worse case scenario I try and find something similar. I've normally run into issues logging something homemade.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Many restaurants post their Nutrition On-Line. Or you can find similar things listed on the Nutrition Trackers here on MFP. And I never hesitate to ask the server how things are prepared.
    We generaslly go out to eat at least once a day.:drinker:
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    For most chain restaurants you can check their websites, for others, I guesstimate what I think is in the foods and add 20% more. Also, try to order simpler dishes to make it easier, like steak, baked potato, chicken, salad, grilled fish etc.. Choose grilled or broiled meals with the fewest embellishments and you should me fine.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    yeah. i really really don't eat out anywhere that i haven't already looked up the nutrition menu & decided what i am going to eat before hand. And, if I can't find it & I am going out with friends to a place that MUST eat there... I eat before hand & have a drink instead. It can be a pain.
  • wicklessgal
    wicklessgal Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This was a Lebanese restaraunt. So I am not sure how to figure it out. I will do my best to guestimate. I know I didn't over eat, I took my time and only ate 1/3 of what they gave me as far as the meal so over all I feel I did ok. Just don't like not being able to track it.
  • jamievolner
    jamievolner Posts: 35
    Options
    Well, there are a few things you can do.....I have lost 140 pounds here are some things I've done.

Plan before you go....lets say you are going to the Olive Garden, go online look at the menu and then look them up in the database (not every place is listed however) .... in some cases if you go out you can order grilled chicken breast, baked potato, veggie et.c...those items you can write down and punch them into your database and at least you'll have an approximation.

I also when I go out to eat once my food arrives I will ask for a to go box up front and put half of the food in the to go box BEFORE I eat and set it aside and eat the other half and take the rest home for the next day. Places like Applebees and IHOP have meals on their menus that already give you the caloric intake on the healthier items on their menu.

If you cannot figure out your calories just remember eat in moderation...smaller amounts than you used to eat.

Another tip, when going out to eat choose what you want to eat and you order first, before anyone else, by doing this you are less likely to change your mind. Lets say you make a better, healthier choice for you....say ordering capeliini pomodoro (its a lower calorie dish at Olive Garden I must have that on the brain today lol) with minestrone soup.....and the person you are with orders Fettuccin Alfredo and a cream soup...you are more likely to change your mind away from the healthier choice by waiting to order after someone else.

Hope this helps.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I generally won't eat at a place where the nutritional information is not available in some way. If I did, I would just estimate based on similar things in the database and add 10-15%. If you are a little low, you have some cushion in your deficit and if you are a little high, one day eating short calories won't hurt you.