Simple Tip for Easy Weight Loss: Cut the Sauces

Options

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Those walden farm dressings are FOUL. Gag.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Those walden farm dressings are FOUL. Gag.

I completely agree - they're absolutely miserable.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    akunz592 wrote: »
    OP is getting a lot of hate for simply pointing out that a lot of people do overuse condiments and this can impede weight loss.

Some people here might weigh their ketchup and log it, but most people don't. At best, they eyeball it. On top of other bad habits, the "such a small amount it doesn't really matter" calories add up.
    ya agreed , with stuff like salsa , kimchi and sauerkraut im eyeballin, but with guacamole, and hummus im definitely breaking out the tablespoons.
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use salsa on everything! Tastes great and good for you.
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Mustard addict here. I love it on chips, pretzels, cheese, chicken, beef.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past chicken breast and ketchup. I'm sure your point was a good one, but chicken breast and ketchup? Nasty

LOL I also had trouble getting past that. Especially 4 Tbs on only 6 oz of chicken. :s

I'm not giving up my broccoli and spinach dip.
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I choose to use salsa, even as an alternative to salad dressing. Also, I am a big fan of any hot sauce! This is sure to add some spice and flavor to any meal. Now I find it hard to eat anything without hot sauce.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    A life without Buffalo Sauce is not a life I'd want to live.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    klugity wrote: »
    But ranch is sooo good... Walden Farm's has a ranch that is pretty good and has a few other ranch flavors like chipotle ranch and some others I forget. Might want to give them a try!

Nope, sorry, Walden Farms is disgusting. Bolthouse Farms, however, is based on Greek yogurt, low in calories, and divine. But to each his own, I guess :D

I use guacamole or black bean hummus a lot on sandwiches and wraps, but then I've never been a mayo lover. I have plenty of low-cal dressings for salad (I eat a LOT of salad) and I can make several with vinegar or yogurt. But for the most part, I prefer herb/spice mixes and straight olive oil or balsamic vinegar to some sort of "sauce."
  • emilyrigh
    emilyrigh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yup, frank's hot sauce is my go-to.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    For myself along with many other people we tend to look at supplemental food items such as dips, sauces, drinks, etc, as "no calories." It is easy to do and I still find myself telling myself, "well it's only ketchup - there's hardly any calories in ketchup." Now multiple times during the day I will use dips and sauces and not consider the calories adding up.

Let's look at this scenario even deeper to really be able to see how a few quick changes can go far.

If I eat lets say 6 meals a day- 3 small meals and 3 medium meals and during those 3 medium size meals I eat 6oz of chicken breast with 4 tablespoons of ketchup each meal. 4 Tbsp of ketchup = 76 calories.

76 calories (from ketchup alone) x 3 meals a day = 228 calories per day from ketchup alone!

Lets look even further in advanced...

228 calories per day (ketchup) x 7 days a week = 1596 calories per week!

As you can see, using high calorie sauces can add up really quick and this was only one scenario for one type of food throughout the day! There are plenty of alternative sauces out there for people who just need to spice up their food.

Some of my favorite alternative sauces to consider that have 0 or low calories include:

Yellow mustard
    Dijon mustard
    Steak Sauce (A-1)
    Siracha
    Frank's hot sauce
    Walden Farm's salad dressing

Since when was ketchup, yellow mustard, dijon mustard etc sauces? Do you even cook
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    OP, you dont need to end every sentence with a exclamation point
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    For myself along with many other people we tend to look at supplemental food items such as dips, sauces, drinks, etc, as "no calories." It is easy to do and I still find myself telling myself, "well it's only ketchup - there's hardly any calories in ketchup." Now multiple times during the day I will use dips and sauces and not consider the calories adding up.

Let's look at this scenario even deeper to really be able to see how a few quick changes can go far.

If I eat lets say 6 meals a day- 3 small meals and 3 medium meals and during those 3 medium size meals I eat 6oz of chicken breast with 4 tablespoons of ketchup each meal. 4 Tbsp of ketchup = 76 calories.

76 calories (from ketchup alone) x 3 meals a day = 228 calories per day from ketchup alone!

As you can see, using high calorie sauces can add up really quick and this was only one scenario for one type of food throughout the day! There are plenty of alternative sauces out there for people who just need to spice up their food.

Some of my favorite alternative sauces to consider that have 0 or low calories include:

Yellow mustard
    Dijon mustard
    Steak Sauce (A-1)
    Siracha
    Frank's hot sauce

Since when was ketchup, yellow mustard, dijon mustard etc sauces? Do you even cook

how are they not sauces?

thick liquid served with food, usually savory dishes, to add moistness and flavor.
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    They're condiments, not sauces.

OP - I'll give you have of my french fries, scrambled eggs or ham and I'll take your portion of ketchup.
  • RebeccaChemmy
    RebeccaChemmy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ketchup is my thing, but I always weigh it so it's fine.

Also, what is 'ranch'? Looooads of Americans on here talk about it and I have no idea what it is. :flushed:
  • nlittle1011
    Options
    But ranch is sooo good... Walden Farm's has a ranch that is pretty good and has a few other ranch flavors like chipotle ranch and some others I forget. Might want to give them a try!

Nope, sorry, Walden Farms is disgusting. Bolthouse Farms, however, is based on Greek yogurt, low in calories, and divine. But to each his own, I guess :D
    "

I am in LOVE with the bolthouse farms ranch yogurt dressing. only 25 calories for a tbsp!
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ranch is ranch dressing - buttermilk, salt, garlic, onion, herbs and spices with variations. Some people live on it. It's okay.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have a better solution: Cut all foods BUT the super yummy sauces. :D

but that means we won't have steak.

and Jo will be sad. let's not do that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »

Yellow mustard
    Dijon mustard
    Steak Sauce (A-1)
    Siracha
    Frank's hot sauce

how are they not sauces?

thick liquid served with food, usually savory dishes, to add moistness and flavor.

never really thought of this- sauce is something I tend to use on top of things- ketchup and mustard i dip...(well I don't use mustard) but I never use ketchup as a sauce- it's always an added thing.
    sauce is like SAUCEY.

SAUCEY ALL OVER MY FOOD!!!!

and yes- I added the extra emphasis just for you since I know you like it ;)
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I refuse to cut sauces, but I do recognize that until I started measuring them I was way underestimating. I have cut back tremendously, but I work them in.

Granted my favorite thing in the world is worchestershire so it's not like it's a killer, but on the occasion I want ranch with my carrots, I will make it work.