Simple Tip for Easy Weight Loss: Cut the Sauces

Options

Replies

• klugity
    klugity Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    That's a lot of ketchup! I eat salsa with my cottage cheese but I weigh it. Not much of a sauce guy beyond that usually.

Hmm very interesting combination I will have to give that a try. Thumbs up for salsa though! Great alternative!
  • klugity
    Options
    kaseyr1505 wrote: »
    This reminds me of spam ads. "One easy trick for losing weight: Doctors hate it!"

Was not my intentions!
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I couldn't get past chicken breast and ketchup. I'm sure your point was a good one, but chicken breast and ketchup? Nasty
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    kaseyr1505 wrote: »
    This reminds me of spam ads. "One easy trick for losing weight: Doctors hate it!"

Or
    Eat these three fruits, and blast away belly fat!
  • klugity
    Options
    I couldn't get past chicken breast and ketchup. I'm sure your point was a good one, but chicken breast and ketchup? Nasty

lol! Former ketchup addict... still recovering.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Mushroom cream sauce - homemade with dijon and full fat cream (NOT Campbell's Soup) is my absolute favourite sauce.

OP - I get what you are trying to say - because I did that 5 years ago following the low glycemic diet. The problem is you are still villainizing a portion of your eating pattern. What happens when you get to your desired weight? You have no idea how to eat sensibly and the weight comes right back.

Log everything, be honest with yourself - eat at a defecit and lose weight.
  • klugity
    Options
    That sounds tastey!

That is the question and to be honest I have been a gainer and loser for years now. Maintaining weight would be very challenging since there are so many factors involved with weight.
  • klugity
    Options
    jmc0806 wrote: »
    hot sauce on everything

YES!
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OP, thanks for posting this.

I used to think I should eat a salad with every meal, but when I realized how many calories Ranch dressing added, I decided I didn't want to spend my calories on something I didn't get that much pleasure or nutrition from. So I ixnayed salad.

Now I enjoy Ranch dressing in its proper context -- as dipping sauce for homemade potato chips.

I get to eat tasty tasty food and I get to stay within my calories. Win win!

• richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I like using hot sauce and salsa. Also, I measure my sauces and count them in my calories.
  • Skyz4dayz
    Skyz4dayz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a great post!

I absolutely have noticed how many calories I give up for things like sour cream and such that I swear I will surely miss if I go without! 9 times out of 10, whatever I am eating tastes JUST as good without it!
  • jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    jmc0806 wrote: »
    hot sauce on everything

^^ Yes to this !

And today is National Hot Sauce Day - spread the word lol
    http://www.natlhotsauceday.com
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I have a better solution: Cut all foods BUT the super yummy sauces. :D
  • ty_palmer09
    Options
    Mustards and A1 have been a saving grace for me as far as cutting sauces goes.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I had no idea A1 was -0- kcal?! Get out!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    A1 is so good on a potato with cheese and steak.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    4 tablespoons of Ketchup is a lot. Do you have meat with ketchup or ketchup with meat? I never use more than 15g of sauce on anything, heck my 100g piece of chicken at lunch I used 7g of barbecue sauce on and it was plenty...

Also, Dijon mustard is not better, 10 calories for 10g, ketchup is 15 for 15g... pretty much the same really. A1 is 15 calories for 17g and definitely not 0 calories either (I know, I had some last night, and logged it).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    OP, if you can live the rest of your life without sauces, good on you. I, sadly, am a person who has to have sauces, so I will live with the extra calories.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    hot chunky salsa, kimchi , malt vinegar
  • ak592
    ak592 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    OP is getting a lot of hate for simply pointing out that a lot of people do overuse condiments and this can impede weight loss.

Some people here might weigh their ketchup and log it, but most people don't. At best, they eyeball it. On top of other bad habits, the "such a small amount it doesn't really matter" calories add up.