Simple Tip for Easy Weight Loss: Cut the Sauces

Options
124»

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    FWIW, I've found that if you weigh the sauce, it's usually way more than what it would be if you measured it. I'm a pretty big fan of sour cream and mayo, yes, those creamy white sauces, and every single time I measure I wind up with less than I do when add them on by weight.

Two tbsp of sour cream comes to 30 or 31 grams, and let me tell you, 30 grams on the scale is wayyyy more than 2 little tablespoons measured.

I don't know why the differences vary so much, but they do.

I get frustrated when people say you're eating too much if you measure instead of weigh, because in my experimentation I've found the polar opposite to be true, especially with sauces.

Just FYI.

I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but that is what I believe based on my experiments in the kitchen with the scale and the spoons out at the same time.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past chicken breast and ketchup. I'm sure your point was a good one, but chicken breast and ketchup? Nasty

I had trouble with this also...

OP I do think ultimately your message is fine, most people when they are working toward weight loss goals have to make choices and cut things from a variety of places. If you are using a lot of "sauces" (which most of what you listed I would call condiments not sauces but semantics) then that may be a great place to look. I know you offered some alternatives, but I have to say, if you are cooking chicken well, with a variety of seasonings, you shouldn't need any condiments. Maybe also look at some different spice blends to bring out flavors as well.

• mamameg312
    mamameg312 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    OP, I understand the point you were making. Sauces can add up to a lot of calories if they are not well measured or eaten in moderation. I appreciate you sharing your own experience and how you've come up with lower cal alternatives. A reminder to be mindful about hidden calories might be just what someone needed to read today.

Not everyone needs that reminder, and if that's the case, scroll past. No need to be nasty to someone who is sharing what is working for him.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    if you are cooking chicken well, with a variety of seasonings, you shouldn't need any condiments. Maybe also look at some different spice blends to bring out flavors as well.

I find this to be the case with my vegetables. I like the taste of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, and I find covering them with butter or otherwise just masks their tasty flavor.

Covering peanut butter with butter, on the other hand, is delicious.

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Tabasco is my go to - 0 calories, low sodium (compared to Frank's!) It was a hard switch though - I grew up in Buffalo and Frank's is a given there!

I put that *&^% on everything! :)
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    Tabasco is my go to - 0 calories, low sodium (compared to Frank's!) It was a hard switch though - I grew up in Buffalo and Frank's is a given there!

I put that *&^% on everything! :)

Same here, I have to watch my sodium and I love Hot Sauce. Didn't realize how much is in most of them. Loved Franks but switched over to Tabasco cause I also use it on everything.
  • chiilipepper
    chiilipepper Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    well, the only thing I would use occasionally is Mustard, but since I don't really care for the bitter taste I only use it in extreme circumstances when my meal its too dry LOL