Spinach...good or bad?

Options
Look, I understand that this post might seem ridiculous or silly. I get that. But me, being slightly paranoid about everything I eat, was just casually surfing the web, and I came across articles about raw spinach being bad due to Goitrogens? People say it can actually cause hypothyroidism? Does anyone know if this is actually true or not?

I eat about 2-3 cups of raw spinach per day, both in smoothies and also in salads. I love it, and I thought it was very good for me.

Replies

• Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I eat spinach salads every day for lunch! I also put it in my nutri bullet..hasnt hurt me yet :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I would advise you to STOP being paranoid about everything you eat. And yeah, you can't believe everything you read on the internet. I can't find anything from a reputable source saying to avoid or limit spinach.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know when I get a goiter. ;) If it worries you, vary your greens a bit. I'm not a huge kale fan, so I usually put spinach in my smoothies, or eat a big raw spinach salad.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I haven't grown any horns from them yet?
  • foodiscomplicated
    foodiscomplicated Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Spinach good.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,426 Member
    Options
    I eat about 5oz of spinach a couple times a week, but I cook it. Don't like it raw.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    People with hypothyroidism are advised to avoid raw spinach, as well as other 'healthy' foods, that can affect thyroid, but I'm not sure it actually causes hypothyroidism. I'd suggest having your levels checked regularly if you are concerned.
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    spinach is good for you and you should continue to eat it. Even if you mix in half spinach and half leafy greens in your salad!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I eat SO much spinach. Totally fine over here!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I love me some spinach!
  • chiilipepper
    chiilipepper Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I never heard that before and I also eat a lot of Spinach everyday, so now I'm curious and sure will do some research
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    It did wonders for Popeye!
  • MustangIslandMermaid
    Options
    I LOVE cooked spinach with mustard on it!
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Great forearms but I'm pretty sure he had a stroke or something.

• deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options

Great forearms but I'm pretty sure he had a stroke or something.

Actually he's doing quite well, he switched from spinach to kale and has a new movie coming out in 2016! He even looks bigger!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If you avoided every food that some crack pot on the internet warns you about, you'll never eat anything.

If you have a medical condition that calls for you to avoid certain foods, then do so. Otherwise, ignore the crazies on the internet and just eat a varied diet appropriate to your weight loss/maintenance/gain goals.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Frankly, too much of anything is not necessarily a good thing, but I have never heard of spinach causing any diseases or issues and I eat it daily, and have for years. It can, however, exacerbate other problems a person may have already had, as many foods can.

You can't live your life in fear of food. :)
  • AprilEternity
    AprilEternity Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Spinach ALL DAY, ERRY DAY! I put it in wraps, make spinach salads, nutri bullet, soups, eeeeeverything.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Goitrogens sounds like something from Star Trek.
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Have it a few times a week minimum. I use it in eggs, as a side, in salads, in shakes. Love me some spinach! Haven't gotten sick from it yet either. It was on my 'limited' foods list after my embolism due to being on blood thinners but otherwise I have not heard any negatives about it.... been off those a long time so back to all the stuff I love