Yoga

Hi, has anyone out there been successful losing weight by just doing yoga, walking, and eating healthy?

I started almost 2 weeks ago (doing classes 5-6 times/week) and I've lost about 1 lb, but am wondering if I need to add in some strength training or something else.

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Yoga is a good start - but I found weight training is helping me maintain muscle mass more than yoga did/does.
  • Deedee1111111
    Deedee1111111 Posts: 66 Member
    thanks!
  • KimMc60
    KimMc60 Posts: 112 Member
    You can incorporate strength training into your yoga practice! With a little bit of Googling you could find a bunch of poses to strengthen various parts of your body. I do yoga, cardio, and strength training and I find that the three complement each other - strength training helps me in yoga, yoga helps me feel less sore which can make my cardio easier and I also have more power in my cardio workouts because of the leg strength I gain through yoga/strength training. Personally I'd recommend doing all three, but you can get stronger solely through yoga as well!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    First month just watching calories then added yoga 2x week, walking, some stationary biking, sometimes cross country skiing 1 x week and staying near my calorie alottment. Down 10 lbs since early December. It's working for me.
  • Hi, has anyone out there been successful losing weight by just doing yoga, walking, and eating healthy?

I started almost 2 weeks ago (doing classes 5-6 times/week) and I've lost about 1 lb, but am wondering if I need to add in some strength training or something else.

• My friend has lost a hundred lbs and that is how she started. I also lost six this past week and that is all I did this week.
  • Hi, has anyone out there been successful losing weight by just doing yoga, walking, and eating healthy?

I started almost 2 weeks ago (doing classes 5-6 times/week) and I've lost about 1 lb, but am wondering if I need to add in some strength training or something else

Are you eating eating enough calories and what do eat?
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Yes. With calorie deficit and yoga you can lose weight and work the muscles enough so that they will burn some calories for you while you are at rest. Yoga is a great intro to body weight exercises, which is a convenient precursor to lifting heavy weights. You won't see huge calorie burn numbers when you log it, but that's really secondary. You WILL see strength, balance and flexibility improve pretty quickly for a novice. There are more challenging options for poses as you progress.

I feel awesome afterwards. Calm, energized, and happy. I highly recommend it.