Craving ice cream

Options

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Gelato has fewer calories and less fat than ice cream, and by nature of the way it's churned, it's creamier. I know for me, that makes it extra satisfying. About 240 cal per 110g serving. Worth every bite.

Mashed bananas? IT'S A TRAP. A mashed banana has quite a few calories on its own, and if you add "extras" like peanut butter, cocoa, or honey? You'd have consumed fewer calories certainly if you'd have had a Skinny Cow, and possibly even as much or more than Gelato.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I just eat ice cream, but on days when I really can't fit it in, I've thrown a greek yogurt into the freezer for a few hours. It helps if you stir it once after about 90 minutes. It's not anywhere near as good as ice cream, but it's kinda sorta in the same ballpark.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i personally do not like ice cream (yes, i'm odd) but if i had a craving for it, i would find a way to eat it. either eat a small portion, get a "light" ice cream, or find a substitute like frozen yogurt.

my problem is, i have a very severe corn and soy allergy. most of my cravings are for things like chips, salsa, savory foods that i cannot eat. i indulged in tacos one day and paid the price big-time with an itchy mouth and a break-out of hives. it's pretty easy to avoid cravings when that is what happens! LOL
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Oh good - I was missing the other thread. Now where are my frozen bananas...

OP - if you want ice cream, and you have the calories for it, and if you are exercising regularly it sounds like you would, there is nothing wrong with just eating ice cream. Or gelato. Or whatever else you fancy, in moderation. Even if it is frozen bananas which for the record are NOT the same as ice cream.

Why do you feel like you can't or shouldn't eat ice cream?

• AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Apparently defending frozen bananas is frowned upon in this establishment.

You don't just mash them up like baby food. You blend them up in a food processor and you get a consistency similar to ice cream. You could do this with any frozen fruit really, it would just be more like Italian ice.

For the record I said eat the ice cream. But some people might like the idea of something with one ingredient vs the list below, which is from a Vanilla Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwich.

punrlyfyyseo.png
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I weigh out one serving of whatever I want and enjoy it. I usually have ice cream or gelato at night after dinner-- knowing that I have that worked in already keeps me on track all day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Pretty sure there are other types of ice cream. (I think I must conclude that I gave away my old ice cream maker in a fit of de-cluttering mania some years back, so I may finally get a new one this weekend.)

Never knew it was kosher, though. Cool.

;-)
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    Ok Im telling you - Take a greek yogurt likeeee raspberry or blueberry or whatever - mix in a lil NSA/plain cocoa powder - freeze that sucker - its protein packed, SUPER creamy, and in my opinion WAYYYY better than ice cream :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Diet pop slushie.

(Not serious. Ugh.)
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    5d6300c70988fb1aaf8e67854556fd4b.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »

Just so you don't think we are ganging up on you AHainzl, because I don't remember you from the last thread - there was a post last week looking for ice cream substitutions, and the OP specifically said, "No Fruit Please" and literally every 3rd or 4th post was "You should try blended frozen bananas, they taste just like ice cream!".

I don't like bananas, in any form, so I am not one to confirm or deny whether or not they have the consistency of ice cream because I wouldn't be able to get past the taste. It was just amusing how passionately people offered this suggestion and how defensive everyone became when people suggested that there are some really tasty lower calorie ice creams and/or smaller portions of higher calorie ice creams that will also suffice. Then there was an Arctic Zero recommendation that just derailed the whole thing because that stuff is truly nasty...

• asouth61
    Options
    They make "Healthy Choice Fudge Bars". They are actually frozen yogurt, but they are only 100 calories, and they fulfill my craving for ice cream and chocolate. They do have other flavors as well, like some fruity ones I think, but I'm a chocoholic, so it really helps me stay healthy
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I overcome my cravings by getting some ice cream. Had some eggnog ice cream yesterday! Was on sale from christmas clear out!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    AHainzl wrote: »

Just so you don't think we are ganging up on you AHainzl, because I don't remember you from the last thread - there was a post last week looking for ice cream substitutions, and the OP specifically said, "No Fruit Please" and literally every 3rd or 4th post was "You should try blended frozen bananas, they taste just like ice cream!".

I don't like bananas, in any form, so I am not one to confirm or deny whether or not they have the consistency of ice cream because I wouldn't be able to get past the taste. It was just amusing how passionately people offered this suggestion and how defensive everyone became when people suggested that there are some really tasty lower calorie ice creams and/or smaller portions of higher calorie ice creams that will also suffice. Then there was an Arctic Zero recommendation that just derailed the whole thing because that stuff is truly nasty...

Wait.....what? We weren't ganging up on her? I thought we were.

a2d2ffefb47599171f8d19a1702a078db7fd9928e516b02501e690cf23188825.jpg

Momentary lapse on my part. Please let me back in the pack...

200_s.gif
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I make a point to squeeze it in my daily intakes...even that means extra 30 minutes of workout for me. I eat my ice cream every night... I don't fight my cravings... if I get it, I eat it and pay it off by working out :) it's win win for me!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I'm just here to share that the 200 calories of Talenti Caramel Apple Pie Gelato that I had with lunch was very satisfying.