I Feel like I Have Tried Everything ... Please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Options
I made myself a promise that this would be the year I changed my body, become healthier, leaner, and stronger. I started at the beginning of January, so it has been about three weeks. I have been going strong, and I want so badly to see results.
During this time, I've been off dairy, most carbs, and sugar. For the past week and a half, I have been running every day for a half and hour. I have a Fitbit and I always make sure I take at least 10,000 steps a day, and Fitbit says I burn about 1,700 calories.
I have only lost four pounds. I am currently 122 pounds. I know that sounds like a lot, but my measurements and before and after pictures are no different. There is not one change. I am trying not to get discouraged, but my strength is dwindling. I am doing everything I could possibly think of.

This is a normal days meal for me, it's about 1200 calories:
Breakfast: Assortment of fruit, chia seeds, and handful of almonds
Snack: Snap peas or grapes
Lunch: Spinach salad, spagetti squash, or mushrooms and an avocado
Snack: Blueberries, carrots, snap peas, etc.
Dinner: Salmon and an assortment of veggies.

I've honestly been eating like this for three weeks straight. I know I should be seeing more noticeable results. I'm begging you ... Please help me!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? 122 is a very small number, and four pounds in three weeks is faster than you should be losing if you need to.
  • TatiyianaSmith
    Options
    probably bcause ur at a good weight
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you wanting to lose? 4# in 3 weeks is damn good imo.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A pound per week is a healthy weight loss. Unless you have food sensitivities or underlying conditions, there is no reason to omit certain foods. Eat sensible portions and weigh and measure food accurately.

Aim to eat protein and healthy fats at every meal. They help you feel full longer and protein helps you maintain muscle mass while losing fat.

Unless your 5 feet tall, 1200 is likely too few calories for you to healthily lose weight. Do some homework and read the posted articles at the top of the Getting Started forum section. You can calculate how much your body needs at a minimum to function (bmr) and how much you could eat to just maintain (tdee) and eat at a number between them. It's usually recommended tdee minus 20%. Since this already puts you at a deficit, you would eat back most of your exercise calories. 2/3 tends to be what people recommend.

This is assuming you need to lose weight at all. At 122lb, you most likely fall into the healthy weight range or if you're quite tall, underweight. If you are unhappy with your body composition, perhaps try strength training to gain muscle while losing any fat you believe needs to go. New Rules of Lifting and StrongLifts tend to be popular and useful programs. Look them up and find out if it's right for you.

Be kind to your body and good luck!
  • cheeseluver123
    cheeseluver123 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How tall are you? 122 is a very small number, and four pounds in three weeks is faster than you should be losing if you need to.

I am 5 feet 4 inches! To be honest, I don't care about the number on the scale. I would just like to see some noticeable differences. But thank you for your comment!
  • cheeseluver123
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    How much weight are you wanting to lose? 4# in 3 weeks is damn good imo.

I would like to lose ten pounds or so, to be around 112-115. I honestly do not care about the number on the scale, but I would just like to be confident with my body. I know I have some fat and would really like to get rid of it. Even though 4 pounds is progress, I do not see any differences anywhere, which is discouraging.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    You are already on the low-normal BMI. Why do you want to lose? Just focus on eating healthy and perhaps a weight lifting program if you want some changes to your shape.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I am 5 feet 4 inches! To be honest, I don't care about the number on the scale. I would just like to see some noticeable differences. But thank you for your comment!

Why don't you eat at maintenance and weight lift? 122 for 5'4" is fine. I'm 5'4" and will never get that low. 1200 calories is...and I mean this in a way not to offend you, silly.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    4lbs in that time for someone with only a little to lose is excellent.

Impatience is often a cause of failure when people diet, they get disappointed with what are reasonable and healthy weight losses and give up.

If you want to see difference do weights...it will have a bigger impact than cardio for looking differently. You could end up weighing the same but be a size smaller in clothing.

And you probably don't want to hear it, but it wouldn't hurt to eat back some of your exercise calories.
  • cheeseluver123
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Why don't you eat at maintenance and weight lift? 122 for 5'4" is fine. I'm 5'4" and will never get that low. 1200 calories is...and I mean this in a way not to offend you, silly.

I appreciate your feedback so much! Thank you. But what would you consider maintenance eating? I feel like if I eat more, even if it is healthy, I will gain weight?
  • cheeseluver123
    Options

Impatience is often a cause of failure when people diet, they get disappointed with what are reasonable and healthy weight losses and give up.

If you want to see difference do weights...it will have a bigger impact than cardio for looking differently. You could end up weighing the same but be a size smaller in clothing.

And you probably don't want to hear it, but it wouldn't hurt to eat back some of your exercise calories.

Last year, I attempted to do weights for three months or so. Instead of losing fat and gaining muscle, I just gained muscle under the fat which made me look bulkier. How do I lose fat and gain muscle?
  • arditarose
    Options

I appreciate your feedback so much! Thank you. But what would you consider maintenance eating? I feel like if I eat more, even if it is healthy, I will gain weight?

Umm...Maintenance is your TDEE. The amount of calories you eat to maintain your current weight. You can calculate it on iifym.com or scoobysworkshop.com.
  • arditarose
    Options

Last year, I attempted to do weights for three months or so. Instead of losing fat and gaining muscle, I just gained muscle under the fat which made me look bulkier. How do I lose fat and gain muscle?

You can't simultaneously lose fat and gain muscle (usually, and commonly). To lose fat you have to eat at a deficit. To gain muscle you have to eat at a surplus. Can you post a picture of yourself?
  • cheeseluver123
    Options

Umm...Maintenance is your TDEE. The amount of calories you eat to maintain your current weight. You can calculate it on iifym.com or scoobysworkshop.com.

Oh perfect! Thank you!!!!
  • cheeseluver123
    Options

You can't simultaneously lose fat and gain muscle (usually, and commonly). To lose fat you have to eat at a deficit. To gain muscle you have to eat at a surplus. Can you post a picture of yourself?

So which one would you recommend doing? Calorie deficit? Or eating at a surplus? And yes, here are two pictures of me. t05pyrvekhqo.jpg
  • cheeseluver123
    Options
    f8810r0l7sn4.jpg

So which one would you recommend doing? Calorie deficit? Or eating at a surplus? And yes, here are two pictures of me. t05pyrvekhqo.jpg

• taylormoooon
    taylormoooon Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I would start a program like 5x5 stronglifts with a slight surplus, then maybe after a few months do a small cut while eating enough protein and lifting to maintain your newly built muscle. Also if you start to lift you can temporarily look larger due to water retention. It always happens to me if I take a break and start again or start a new routine...I look bigger for a few weeks and gain a few water weight pounds and then all of a sudden I look much leaner. Definitely find out your TDEE and don't worry about putting on a few extra pounds of muscle and maybe a little fat because its always easier to lose with more muscle on your body! Also check out new rules of lifting for women..it explains all the basics! Good luck!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Maintenance calories = the # of calories that allow you to maintain your weight over at least a month or two.

Unless you ate at a surplus, you didn't gain anything and simply noticed water weight retention that you felt made you look bulkier. Otherwise you over-ate and gained weight in general because you were not monitoring your surplus properly.

You lose fat and then gain muscle. Or you gain muscle and then lose fat.
  • stanknastay
    stanknastay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    According to the calculator your maintenance should be around 1500 calories with sedentary set for the activity level. I would eat 1600-1700 on lifting days if I were you just to stay conservative. Look into a beginner weight training program like starting strength or stronglifts 5x5. Don't worry about fat or carbohydrates as long as your protein is high and you are meeting your daily goal.

One thing that you need to keep in mind is how a pound of fat looks and a pound of muscle looks, you might weigh more on the scale when you start to gain muscle but your body "definition" and overall look will be more of what you are after. To put it simply trying to lose weight while weighing 120 or so pounds is insanity, you need to gain some muscle mass to get the look you are after. You CAN gain muscle and lose fat by simply maintaining your weight/calories and eating high protein content along with weight training.

So lets go over what we learned.

1) Eat 1400-1500 calories on off days and 1600-1700 on training days
    2) Start a weightlifting program asap
    3) Monitor your weight WEEKLY not daily
    4) Take pictures BI-WEEKLY to monitor progress

I PROMISE if you simply did this for the next 3 months you might notice weight gain or weight loss but your body "definition" will be much improved.
  • cheeseluver123
    edited January 2015
    Options
    According to the calculator your maintenance should be around 1500 calories with sedentary set for the activity level. I would eat 1600-1700 on lifting days if I were you just to stay conservative. Look into a beginner weight training program like starting strength or stronglifts 5x5. Don't worry about fat or carbohydrates as long as your protein is high and you are meeting your daily goal.

One thing that you need to keep in mind is how a pound of fat looks and a pound of muscle looks, you might weigh more on the scale when you start to gain muscle but your body "definition" and overall look will be more of what you are after. To put it simply trying to lose weight while weighing 120 or so pounds is insanity, you need to gain some muscle mass to get the look you are after. You CAN gain muscle and lose fat by simply maintaining your weight/calories and eating high protein content along with weight training.

So lets go over what we learned.

1) Eat 1400-1500 calories on off days and 1600-1700 on training days
    2) Start a weightlifting program asap
    3) Monitor your weight WEEKLY not daily
    4) Take pictures BI-WEEKLY to monitor progress

I PROMISE if you simply did this for the next 3 months you might notice weight gain or weight loss but your body "definition" will be much improved.

That is EXACTLY what I needed to hear to give me hope. Thank you so much. I just have a few questions that I would appreciate you answering though!

1: Will doing this make me look bulky?
    2: Will this help me achieve that flat, tone-stomach look?
    3: Would you suggest eating things like bread and pasta during this? Heavier carbs?
    4: What would be a typical day of eating for me on this plan?
    5: Can I do this at home?
    6: Would you suggest still running?
    Honestly, thank you so so much. You're amazing!