Golf calories

Options
ErikN
ErikN Posts: 13 Member
OK, so I walked a round of golf today, for about 3 1/2 hours, and it says here that I burned a whopping 1300 calories doing so. That seems really high to me. Anyone have any ammended or more reasonable numbers to attribute to a round of golf?

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'd probably just go with 50-60% of what MFP calculated for that.
  • shivers42
    shivers42 Posts: 20
    Options
    Have you ever tried wearing a heart rate monitor? You can borrow one and it will give you an accurate reading based on your heart rate and body weight. Worth a try?
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    Were you carrying your bag? I've heard golf can burn lots of calories but I don't know if it would be THAT much... Anyhow, I have no clue :laugh:
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing myself. I golfed for 3 hours, but of course there is so down time...so I ended up calculating about half the time actually walking. I'd be interested to find out how accurate that is myself...keep us posted!

6128792.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Jbertak
    Jbertak Posts: 3
    Options
    I use a pedometer for all actitivity; my "walking style" Omron (about $30 at pharmacy) accurately tells me how many steps I've taken; how many aerobic steps I've taken and how many miles I've walked. All that said, when I walk the golf course, it really depends on which course I'm playing - my home course is flat, makes for an easier walk - the course I play every Sat. a.m. is a hilly "sum*****" requiring a lot more calories from me to get my still chunky (299 lbs.) *kitten* around it. But at least I can walk it this year - I've lost 125 lbs. since my gastric sleeve surgery less than six months ago. Not bad for a 65-year-old. My golf game and my overall condition is better than it's been in 20 years.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters. I would go with about half of what Mpf said. If you burned 3 calories a minutes, then that would be 630 calories for 3 1/2 hours. Much more reasonable amount :smile:
  • sioannone
    sioannone Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are several sites where you can calculate calories based on your weight. Most seem to be around 250-260 per hour for a 150 pound person walking and pulling your clubs. Just google or try these:
    www.nutristrategy.com or
    www.changingshape.com

Don't know your weight but that would be 880 - 980 for 3.5 hours at 150 pounds!!!!!
  • ErikN
    ErikN Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I weigh 191 (down 35 since christmas - yay!) and the other sites you listed showed the same numbers. About 375 cal/hr walking (pulling clubs) for a guy my size. Maybe it is right, but boy, it sure doesn't feel like it. Lots of golf in my future if this is for real.