Alcohol what to drink and what not to

Options

Replies

• PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The best drinks for you are the ones you like. The worst ones are the ones you don't like. I say go for what you like and set aside the calories. What's the point of going out for a drink if you're not going to have what you want? That's what I think anyway.

I will respectfully disagree. He is on a website where the main goal is counting calories and attempting to be/stay fit.

There are plenty of great tasting unhealthy foods that we substitute out for healthier foods that don't taste as good. Why not do the same for alcohol?
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Hi I have a 20 year hospitality background working in bars/bottle shops, and along the way read some facts about this. Barcardi is listed as the lowest in calories for spirits, beer is a lot lower in calories than spirits, and red wine has half the calories of white wine.
    Hope this helps.... A good one to try is Barcardi with soda water (cutting out sugar instead from coke or lemonade) you can add natural juice in like lemon or lime juice, or cut a lemon or lime and place pieces into your glass, mint can also be added if you have a nice one for something different. Hope this is helpful. :) good luck on your weightloss journey.

Appreciate your desire to help, but I'm afraid a lot of that is not accurate. Most 80 proof liquors are going to be around 70 - 80 calories per ounce, so a 1.5oz pour runs about 110 calories. Most beers are going to be 150 and up unless you're drinking light beer and even then it's tough to go under 100 without subjecting yourself to things like MGD64, to which no one should subject themselves, except in the most dire of circumstances. Red and white wine are pretty close calorically; white tends to have a bit less than red. Typical middle of the road wines would run about 120 - 125 calories for a 5 ounce glass.

As mentioned above, getdrunknotfat.com is a helpful source of calories for various brands and types of alcoholic drinks.

• Java00
    Java00 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I make sure it's just part of my calories for the day. I Budget for it.
  • lenapb
    lenapb Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was told a few years back that clear liquor (vodka and gin) is metabolized in a way that does not promote weight gain the same way as dark liquor (rum, whisky, etc). I'm not sure what this means for white rum or clear tequila. I cannot say that I know this for sure so take it with a grain of salt, but if anyone else has opinions/knowledge on this it'd probably be useful. I normally just stick to vodka because it's always treated me better than the rest haha.

The other main thing I look out for is how much added sugar there is. Many cheap flavored vodkas use a sugary syrup to add flavoring. This adds both calories and sugar (the latter being the cause of a gnarly hangover in my experience.) In order to keep the caloric content the same the brand will have the flavored variety be 70 proof rather than 80. Nicer liquors will either infuse flavors (the way juniper is infused to make gin) or use a natural flavor which will not lead to as much added sugar. The same goes for Jack Daniels Honey, Fireball and Sinfire whiskeys, they're so sweet that I feel like I'm taking a shot of simple syrup.

Oh and last thing, using diet mixers (coke, sprite, tonic, what have you) get you buzzed a bit quicker. Full calorie sodas have tons of sugar (simple carbs) that are being digested with the alcohol whereas diet sodas have fake sugar. I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes in the long run but I think of a mixed drink with regular soda as the same as a diet mixed drink with half a slice of wonderbread on the side. Definitely not a healthy carb but still enough to subdue the effects of the alcohol.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Anything hard with diet or straight, if your question is referring to minimal calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Whiskey. In a glass. Neat or on the rocks. Why complicate? Why soda?
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Single malt scotch.
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bacardi silver and diet coke :) (no spiced rum)
  • DMBcorey
    DMBcorey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    whiskey, neat or on the rocks. vodka & water with a lemon.
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Because the taste of liquor is awful!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Hi I have a 20 year hospitality background working in bars/bottle shops, and along the way read some facts about this. Barcardi is listed as the lowest in calories for spirits, beer is a lot lower in calories than spirits, and red wine has half the calories of white wine.
    Hope this helps.... A good one to try is Barcardi with soda water (cutting out sugar instead from coke or lemonade) you can add natural juice in like lemon or lime juice, or cut a lemon or lime and place pieces into your glass, mint can also be added if you have a nice one for something different. Hope this is helpful. :) good luck on your weightloss journey.

Appreciate your desire to help, but I'm afraid a lot of that is not accurate. Most 80 proof liquors are going to be around 70 - 80 calories per ounce, so a 1.5oz pour runs about 110 calories. Most beers are going to be 150 and up unless you're drinking light beer and even then it's tough to go under 100 without subjecting yourself to things like MGD64, to which no one should subject themselves, except in the most dire of circumstances. Red and white wine are pretty close calorically; white tends to have a bit less than red. Typical middle of the road wines would run about 120 - 125 calories for a 5 ounce glass.

As mentioned above, getdrunknotfat.com is a helpful source of calories for various brands and types of alcoholic drinks.

^^ SpongeBob knows what he's talking about...

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Let him (said I) drink red wine and white, good beer and mead—if he could get it—liqueurs made by monks, and, in a word, all those feeding, fortifying, and confirming beverages that our fathers drank in old time; but not whisky, nor brandy, nor sparkling wines, not absinthe, nor the kind of drink called gin.

- Belloc
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Vodka and club soda!! (NOT seltzer water) club soda has no calories. I usually get a stoli blueberry and club soda... Simple, easy, and low cal
  • laz1875
    Options
    hi guys
    I like a drink on a Saturday night and normally have a few beers and some rum and coke!
    Just wanted to know what drinks would be better for me? Thanks

• laz1875
    Options
    I have 1 Bombay Gin martini over ice almost daily and that is 240 calories. I add it to my supper menu in the morning so I know how many calories I can have that day.
  • docshua
    Options
    Many have already mentioned, but bourbon, good vodka or tequila on ice or neat is the best way to go. If you want to mix, do it in a low calorie way, like gin and soda with lime and/or mint, or bourbon and diet coke. Regular soda is a killer - absolutely terrible for your body.
    -
    Tonic (unless homemade) usually has quite a lot of sugar in it. As a Type 1 diabetic, I pay attention to the number of carbs in my drinks.
  • reesrachel00
    Options
    Whiskey is gooooood, neat, but I am a sipper
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

You are either broken, or simply wrong. Or both.

Or you haven't had the pleasure of drinking good whiskey.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

You are either broken, or simply wrong. Or both.

Or you haven't had the pleasure of drinking good whiskey.

No, I don't care for the taste of alcohol myself. It's too strong and tends to overwhelm my taste buds. Though, I have discovered Tito's isn't to bad as a sipping vodka.
  • laz1875
    Options
    laz1875 wrote: »
    hi guys
    I like a drink on a Saturday night and normally have a few beers and some rum and coke!
    Just wanted to know what drinks would be better for me? Thanks