Carbs and Sugar?

Options
Hi Folks!
I've been noticing that as I've been logging food, I tend to go over in sugar, but stay low in carbohydrates. I have been under the impression that these are similar, or at least go hand in hand. How do I get my daily required amount of carbs without going over in sugar?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Try eating carbs with a lower glycemic index? Just a thought.

Either that or eat fewer carbs. You can get plenty of carbs through veggies, which have significantly less sugar than fruit & bread
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I want to know this too. I go seriously over on sugar every day and most of it is fruit...!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I was told by a Diabetic Dietitian not to consentrate on sugar but the total carbohydrate. I took sugar off my log and added Cholesterol. This works for me. l But there are a lot of opinions out there.
    I
  • Inked2Love
    Inked2Love Posts: 48
    Options
    I would suggest doing whole grains/whole wheat. They have less sugar but still ample amount of carbs. Try whole wheat pastas, breads, high fiber cereal and nuts. Good luck! I know how ya feel...cuz my body is very sensitive to sugars so I try very hard to watch my intake as well :)
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks!
    I've been noticing that as I've been logging food, I tend to go over in sugar, but stay low in carbohydrates. I have been under the impression that these are similar, or at least go hand in hand. How do I get my daily required amount of carbs without going over in sugar?

Sugar is a carbohydrate.

Carbs are separated into a couple of basic groups.

Simple carbs (sugar) - fruit, candy, etc

Starchy carbs - whole grains, legumes, oatmeal

Fibrous carbs - vegetables

Go for fibrous carbs if you're trying to cut body fat. Too many simple carbs will create an insulin spike, causing your body to store fat.
  • ashcrashly
    ashcrashly Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you! This was very helpful.
  • lersie
    lersie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you can keep your sugars below what your daily recommended allowance is that helps in losing too. I notice every time I am under my sugars lately is when I lose (and on average it's been 1.5 lbs and that's within one to two days!). Now I'm working on the carbs now that I figured out the sugar riddle. Good luck.
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Focus on upping your vegetables (and fruit) and minimizing your intake of refined/processed foods. Read a few ingredient labels for sugar content and I bet you'll be amazed at what they pump sugar! I found my "healthy" kidney beans were canned in high fructose corn syrup! Low-fat salad dressing is an awful sugar culprit--they may have taken out the fat, but they've pumped up the sugar content so it doesn't taste like cardboard.

Also, I've found that the automatic carb-protein-fat ratios weren't appropriate for me. My personal needs include far more protein and fat and far less carbs than what the automatic recommendation is. I would ask a dietitian's opinion or at least take some sort of online health assessment to help you establish what your needs really are. Jillian Micheals has one on her website: http://www.jillianmichaels.com/

Hope this helps!