What "diet" is the right diet for life?

Options

Replies

• dcavazos
    dcavazos Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @bwogilvie‌ right diet as in what is the proper human diet. Just like my cat has a diet that he eats what are humans supposed to eat. (obviously its not twinkies). But that is what I meant. My references to Diets with a capital D was in regards to which of them or parts of them were the right way to eat/proper diet for human.

But yes it appears to be a complicated subject.
  • megstoo
    megstoo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    First off get rid of the word DIET. It's not a diet rather a lifestyle change. If I think I'm on a diet I'm not going to stick to anything and I'm going to way overeat. Lifestyle change is for now and future and it's almost like changing the way you think about foods.

Lots of veggies and lean protein, no soda, no sugary drinks etc.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes, you get to eat lots of calories! I'm 5'4" tall and I've lost 20 pounds eating around 1500 calories a day.

People recommend the scooby calculator to find out what your daily intake should be.

Counting calories works.

However, in addition to tracking calories, you also need to keep an eye on WHERE those calories are coming from: protein, carbs, and fat (and alcohol, but MFP doesn't track that).

For instance, I could eat 500 calories of protein, 500 calories of fat, and 500 calories of carbs to meet my 1500 calories. That would be 33% protein, 33% fat, and 33% carbs.

Most people use the recommended percentages that MFP sets -- 45% protein, 35% carbs, 20% fat or something like that.

For me, however, I need a lot more fat in my diet or else I feel hungry. So I changed my percentages to increase my fat and decrease my protein.

Knowing what the right percentages are only comes through time and trial and error.

Best of luck to you!
  • dcavazos
    dcavazos Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @DeirdreWoodwardSanders‌ yea I'm currently working on my macros trying to figure out the percentages. The first few weeks I was on low carb (15%) but now now that I've kicked started some weigh loss I'm trying to change around my settings and see what works for me. I'll try out the scooby calculator. As you see above i tried out the iifym which is the same concept but it did spit out a large # for my calories!
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I get too confused too. So I am making it simple and sticking to calories. When it comes to weight loss, calories are what counts.

If you are concerned about health, just focus on eating heaps of veggies and good fats / fish etc. Any diet that bans foods is a waste of time. Moderation is key.

Keep it simple
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    dcavazos wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the # of calories it advises you to eat? Honestly I have my calories set to 1800 (i have been tested and my BMR is about 2,000) \

What are your height/weight stats? That's the BMR of a 6'1" male...

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the ultimate best diet is, but I'm a big fan of moderation, along with enough variety to cover a range of nutrients. If you're looking for a diet for life, it's got to be sustainable, which means it's got to be easy for you to stick to. And I think that won't be the same thing for everybody.

You don't need to count calories IF you have another way of limiting your intake, so it depends whether it suits you to do so or not (it's certainly more precise, but I think that MFP database has grown so huge that I find it much more of a faff than I used to a couple of years ago). I used the No S diet (no snacks, no sweets, no seconds, except on S days) when I started, and I plan to use a version of it along with portion control for life, to restrict intake. There's nothing magical about it and I'm not promoting that diet in particular - it's just one that I found fitted into my life quite well. But there are other ways to control intake by restricting times of eating, portions, what you eat, etc. I like to stick to a routine of meals rather than eating when I'm hungry (and I find that helps me lose weight), but other people find the opposite. I also like to write down what I'm eating, even if I'm not logging calories - helps me keep a handle on it.

I think you can't go wrong eating a lot of vegetables - generally low calorie and nutritious. Protein is supposed to be more satisfying, so I try to have a bit at every meal. I like to have a bit of fat in my diet. Foods that are particularly high calorie/low nutrition (pastry, etc.) I don't eat regularly, but nothing is absolutely banned. I think it's important to find a way of eating that fits with your social life.

Honestly, I think the trick is just making it as easy as possible. See what suits you. Good luck!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Moderation, portion control, and moving more. Finding what works for each of us is part of the process. We are not all the same. What works for one, will not necessarily work for another. The same goes for maintenance.

I have been on MFP for almost 3 years. Maintenance for almost 15 months. I have lost 160 pounds. For me, monitoring my weight is something I will have to do for life. Nutrition is important to me, so I am trying to eat healthy from all food groups and eating very little overly processed foods.

The statistics are staggering for the percentage of people that gain the weight back, sometimes even more, 5 years after having lost the weight. People that keep the weight off for more than 5 years, are the true success stories, and they are a very small percent. It is a lot easier to lose the weight, than to keep it off.

Experiment, and find what works for you best. We all need to be able to sustain this way of eating and maintaining for life to be successful for the rest of our lives.
  • stabbycakes
    Options
    "... The subcutaneous fat in infants allows them to remain in ketosis. The mother’s milk depot is also constituted by evolutionary design to keep the child ketotic for the first 3-5 years of its life. Yes people, human children are designed for extended breast feeding contrary to modern cultural belief."
    "Today’s modern world is our biggest nightmare for our species and why we have been de-evolving since the Younger Dryas. There is evidence that shows hominids have lost 125 grams of brain tissue in the last 125,000 years."

We are born in ketosis. Mother's milk is ketogenic.
    I don't know about you, but if we're born that way, maybe that's how we're supposed to be.

It's the only diet that has ever worked for me. :)

Source of Quotes.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body makeup is different, what works for one, will not work for others. You be the ginny pig. Change or eat something and see how you fell. (comment in the food box to look back on). EX.. You had rice for dinner... so in comment box put. feel bloated, 1hr after eating rice, ate my whole kitchen. or had rice for dinner, feel full, satisfied, seems like I have more energy... Through trial and error on your part, you will start to see what works for you and what doesn't. Same with if foods make you lose weight, stay at same, add weight etc. Try to stick with your Calories, Sodium guide lines. Then you can tweek the protein, fiber, carbs, etc. Good luck
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Breast milk contains lots of sugar too. Why would nature impose ketosis on infants?
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "... The subcutaneous fat in infants allows them to remain in ketosis. The mother’s milk depot is also constituted by evolutionary design to keep the child ketotic for the first 3-5 years of its life. Yes people, human children are designed for extended breast feeding contrary to modern cultural belief."
    "Today’s modern world is our biggest nightmare for our species and why we have been de-evolving since the Younger Dryas. There is evidence that shows hominids have lost 125 grams of brain tissue in the last 125,000 years."

I don't know about you, but if we're born that way, maybe that's how we're supposed to be.

Source of Quotes.

Doesn't work for athletes though. Body fat doesn't burn fast enough.

I breast fed my baby but at 4 months he was happily eating other stuff, by 6 months he was on a variety of foodstuffs, by 1 year he was eating everything in sight. He was still underweight. I was still breast feeding him at 13 months.

Breast milk isn't enough, and that's a weak argument for Keto diets.

I'm happy the diet is working for you! You will need an iron will, deep pockets and an indifference to feeling left out of social occasions to make it a lifestyle though.

Restrictive diets can be very harmful to your social life!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It's really pretty simple if you just take a step back and apply common sense. There is no one right choice.

For a person with no medical need to eat a restricted diet, the healthiest diet is going to be the one that provides adequate nutrition while keeping you satisfied enough that you don't feel the need to overeat.

If you have a medical condition that requires a restricted diet, then you might never be truly satisfied with what you are allowed. But some things are beyond our control, so you just do what you need to do.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    People can stay healthy on an astounding variety of diets. They can lose weight on them, too, by counting calories. That said, I think Michael Pollan's advice is sound: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." By "food," Pollan means something that your grandmother would recognize as food.

Probably at this point, it's better to say "great-grandmother," unless you're already a grandparent yourself, and to say "anyone's great-grandmother," since my Norwegian grandmother probably would not have recognized a Thai green coconut curry as food. :)

The point is that highly processed foodstuffs, which are cheap to make on an industrial scale, and shelf-stable to boot, are highly profitable to the food industry, but they aren't necessarily the healthiest. And they can encourage overeating, e.g. by being digested relatively easily or not providing a feeling of satiety.

A simpler way to put this is that most of your food should come from the outside of the supermarket: vegetables, fruit, seafood, poultry, meat, and dairy; relatively little should come from stuff in boxes that has been processed and then (re)enriched with (some of) the very nutrients that were processed out of it.

Now, a lot of MFP forum members will point out that you can lose weight eating processed food and even fast food. I've made that point elsewhere, because if you're overweight to the point where it affects your health or well-being, it's most important to lose weight by starting where you are rather than make huge changes. It's also true that if you lose weight by making changes that you don't plan to sustain for the rest of your life, you're likely to gain it back. But since you asked specifically about diet, I'll stick with this answer.

If you want to read further, I'd suggest Michael Pollan, In Defense of Food, Marion Nestle and Malden Nesheim, Why Calories Count: From Science to Politics, and maybe Mark Bittman, VB6 (his book about a "vegan before 6 pm" diet).

Ultimately this. Ultimately eat food (that your great grandmother would recognize), not too much, mostly plants.

Yes, you want to lose weight. You also want to be healthy. Work toward healthy eating that will initially sustain your weight loss goals, and ultimately sustain you in a healthy life at a pace that you can handle.
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    I have had the same information overload and become paralyzed at times. Throw GMO's and digestive issues into the mix, and it's very overwhelming. The best approach is one that you can sustain. That's the bottom line. Get calories under control, and the rest will follow.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

That's nonsense. Breast milk is loaded with carbs. In fact, it has about 5x more carb grams than protein grams, so if you're going to be using breast milk as a guideline, you'd better be eating a low-protein diet.

Who publishes crap like this in an era where it takes 30 seconds of googling to realize it's horse poop?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It's really pretty simple if you just take a step back and apply common sense. There is no one right choice.

For a person with no medical need to eat a restricted diet, the healthiest diet is going to be the one that provides adequate nutrition while keeping you satisfied enough that you don't feel the need to overeat.

If you have a medical condition that requires a restricted diet, then you might never be truly satisfied with what you are allowed. But some things are beyond our control, so you just do what you need to do.
    I think you are correct.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

That's nonsense. Breast milk is loaded with carbs. In fact, it has about 5x more carb grams than protein grams, so if you're going to be using breast milk as a guideline, you'd better be eating a low-protein diet.

Who publishes crap like this in an era where it takes 30 seconds of googling to realize it's horse poop?
    Confirmation bias anyone. People like to find support for their actions and decisions. More than likely a low carber. Then when presented with proof that they may be wrong, they continue to gather data that supports their hard fought platform, it's human nature I guess.

• Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Your body needs carbs, proteins, and fats to function - too much or too little of one of the 3 is not going to be good for sustaining you -- opt for non processed foods and for lean proteins and seek out the good fats -- I think the 40% (carbs)/40% (protein)/20% (fat) balance in the diet works wonders.

In all reality at the end of the day what ever you do has to be what you want to do and what makes you happy, cuz if you are just following what someone else is saying or doing because they were successful with it but you are not enjoying it, you are not going to succeed accomplishing your goals.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The Keep it Simple Diet:

Find a reasonable calorie deficit
    Log food accurately and honestly
    Learn moderation, portion control and to have patience
    Find an activity you like to do

Well that will never sell any books or inspire any fear mongering documentaries... Can you jazz that up any? Work on a better acronym? FLLF doesn't really roll off the tongue, unless you have a mouthful of cookies.

In all seriousness OP - listen to GiveMeCoffee. She's lost 120 lbs (maybe more, I lose track of her awesomeness) eating foods that she loves, heck, that everyone loves, in moderation.