Don't "Look Your Weight"?

Options

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I never have (at least with clothes on). The very few people who I've told my high weight to were shocked.

It's because I gain weight all over, have pretty soft fat and always dressed to suit my size; I was the king at masking my weight as best I could. I wasn't ever one of these dudes, like my dad, with a huge, hard potbelly, wearing clothes that were ill fit and just made me look like a pregnant man. I also never had that sloppy-fat look some people get when they carry their bodies poorly. So the perception was that I was definitely big, but not morbidly obese (which I was at my largest). I've been told that I just had that football player look. Like someone who is just "big boned", who has a larger frame; it took me over a decade to realize that I actually don't have a large frame at all.

Which is why I don't tell people I know personally what my goal weight is. It sounds too shockingly low. Because I am one who is perceived to carry my weight well, most people have no idea just how much fat I have on my body, and how low I need to go to really lean out the way I want.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I get this a lot, too. Part of it is that I have a larger frame, hourglass shape, and carry some weight in my limbs (muscular calves, thighs, arms) so I look okay at a higher weight.

I also think the social norm is to keep weight secret and it results in people having little understanding of what a given weight looks like on different people. A shorter person, less muscular person, or someone who carries weight in places that make them look heavier might be shocked about how much weight a different body type can carry.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Fewer and fewer people regularly weigh themselves these days & are in deep denial about their own weights. I've noticed that people don't really recognize what overweight/normal looks like any more. Recent studies have shown that parents can't even tell that their school children are overweight.

I'm 5'11. I thought I carried my weight well, until I lost the weight. Now I look at the old photos and I'm horrified with how I looked. I thought I was hiding my weight, but you could even see it in my face.

People are really bad at guessing weight. People are even worse at guessing sizes. Tall people of normal weight will always size a little larger than shorter people. I was a normal BMI and a US size 14 for a while.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am consistently judged to weigh less than I actually do, no matter what my weight.

I am the most fortunate of women in terms of weight gain pattern as well as ability to put on muscle mass. I attribute this in part to genetics and in part to the fact that we heated our home with wood when I was a child, so we did a great deal of manual labor when I was a youngster.

I also think that @Docbanana2002‌ has a real point. We don't get a great deal of honest data about what certain heights and weights look like. Though there is this interesting chart: Photographic Height/Weight Chart

• katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I've had a similar experience on here, where I can consistantly wear sizes that are smaller than others of similar height and weight.

There's a lot to be said for body shape and where we carry the extra weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I have to say, to my English eye, a lot of American football players look overweight ...almost Sumo like
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've been told this. People tell me "There is NO WAY you have that much to lose". I am very proportionate.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree with the point that many (most?) people really do not know what overweight, obese, morbidly obese looks like. At all. I used to be morbidly obese and I guarantee that 99% of my friends/family would be like "No you were not...that's like people on Mart Carts in the store with bellies hanging over both sides". People have this belief that morbidly obese people are in that category and if you're fitting into a compact car and walking several miles a week for exercise, you are just overweight. Wrong.

When I was at my heaviest I do think I looked like I weighed as much as I did. But honestly during the years I was around 260 lb (for a very long time) I think I could have "passed" for weighing 210-220. At 5'8" with pretty long limbs, dainty hands/feet, and no double chin, I did look somewhat proportioned despite very large bust, hips and belly...kind of like a dress dummy for plus size clothes, and because of that I felt "lucky" and pretty happy with myself. Even at the doctor's office they would express surprise I was as heavy as I was, and it happened enough times that I believe I looked a bit smaller...I don't think 10 different nurses/techs were flattering me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The very few people who know my weight are usually surprised it's so high (including my doctor when I switched recently). I do wear a smaller size than my friends that weigh less than me and I have quite a bit of muscle under my fat so I guess maybe I do. I suppose being pear/hourglass helps as well. My husband likes to annoy me by calling me a brawny farm girl. :\
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea that we don't always have a realistic idea of what overweight or obese look like. In terms of BMI when I started on MFP I was obese and a UK14. No muscle and 5'4". But, I am an hourglass and have always dressed in flattering styles, so people regularly underestimated my weight. Even in my late teens - at my slimmest and fittest, UK10 - whilst healthy I was at the upper end of my BMI and people always guessed I was at least a stone lighter. I had some muscle then, but not lots.

Likewise I haven't really had realistic ideas about my size. At my slimmest I kept thinking I was fat, and at my heaviest although I knew I was heavy I didn't expect to be obese and didn't truly appreciate my size until I looked at photos. Like upthread, you hear obese and think of a very large size, people who need help with mobility, for instance. My look is not the common portrayal of obesity, but maybe it should be.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    People have always underestimated my weight, even at my slimmest. I have always been on the muscular side so I am guessing that's why.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    Recent studies have shown that parents can't even tell that their school children are overweight.

I grapple with that one. Self delusion is more understandable, but I can't fathom how some parents are so blind that they can't see the excess fat bulging off their kids' bodies.
    I'm 5'11. I thought I carried my weight well, until I lost the weight. Now I look at the old photos and I'm horrified with how I looked. I thought I was hiding my weight, but you could even see it in my face.

Right. Even for those of us who legitimately carried our weight "well", it's almost shocking how visually deceptive fat is. I never cease to be amazed at how visually different human beings look when crossing from fat to normal, or lean, levels. You really don't know how much fat, even just an extra 20-30 lbs, distorts your appearance until it's gone.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I've always been heavier than I look. I'm short and pretty dense (muscular). Example: when I was in college I consistently weighed 10lbs more than my roommate, who was the exact same height and clothing size as me. More recently, I was shocked to discover that someone I know who is very large -- several inches taller than me and a size 28 -- weighs 20lbs less than I did when I was a size 18. For my height (5'3"), the "ideal weight" range is from 100lbs to 140lbs, a huge difference! I know the charts aren't accurate for everyone, but they're based on public health data and they're an average.

Goes to show the number on the scale can be deceptive.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I have to say, to my English eye, a lot of American football players look overweight ...almost Sumo like

That's because some American football players are overweight.

Like sumo wrestlers, some of the larger players have an extraordinary amount of muscle, but also a lot of fat right along with it (though not to typical sumo proportions).
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's the thing about fat and sports.

Sometimes fat/weight is positively DESIRABLE for a particular sport. It might be an advantage for certain forms of performance. It might keep you from DYING. <cough>Marathon Swimming</cough>

The health/body fat percentage correlation simply is not the one to one ratio that we think it is, either.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    jumblejups wrote: »
    Like upthread, you hear obese and think of a very large size, people who need help with mobility, for instance. My look is not the common portrayal of obesity, but maybe it should be.

Yes. But when your eyes are opened it becomes damn near impossible to unlearn what you have learned. I've come pretty good at guessing people's weight, even the well carriers, if I know their height. You no longer walk around thinking of obesity as the massive, mobility challenged people oft associated with the word.

I can spot obesity in most people from a mile away. And in being able to I can see how normalized it's become. Our idea of obese, and definitely "just" overweight, is wildly skewed in the US (and quite a few other places). Spending time in other countries shocks you out of that pretty quickly though.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    it also depends on the size of your b00bs. my friend was very very large breasted and she and i weighed about the same, but she looks much much heavier than i did b/c i have small breasts. everyone is proportioned differently.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    Okay, here's the thing about fat and sports.

Sometimes fat/weight is positively DESIRABLE for a particular sport. It might be an advantage for certain forms of performance. It might keep you from DYING. <cough>Marathon Swimming</cough>

The health/body fat percentage correlation simply is not the one to one ratio that we think it is, either.

Of course. Fat/muscle ratio can vary from sport to sport, as well it should.

But for the overwhelming majority of sports, particularly at the professional level, high body fat levels are unnecessary and rare. The larger athletes might be medically overweight or obese according to BMI, but as outliers that's coming mostly from lean mass, not body fat.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    People are always looking at me funny when I say I have 14 lb to go. And they can't ever believe my weight. I'm pretty slim everywhere except for my lower tum. I'm 36 inches around the hip and 39 inches around the lower belly. Yet 28 inches around the waist. I disguise the lower belly, and everyone thinks I'm mad to diet - but I know I have to.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    People.say I look skinnier than I actually am. BTW I think I want to move to England so I can start using stones as a measurement, I think that's so cool. Or maybe when people ask me how much I weigh, I tell them in stones to confuse them lol. How much does a stone weigh BTW?