Too much protein?

Options
Eliza1980
Eliza1980 Posts: 303 Member
So I've just started using MFP and so far have done well staying slightly under my calorie goal everyday. The issue I have is that I almost always go over the protein limit that MFP has set for me. I' ve never really considered myself a huge meat eater, but I do love cheese and nuts especially almonds. My husband says that there is no such thing as too much protein and I shouldn't worry about it. Just wondering what everyone's opinion or ideas about protein are.

Replies

• kk281
    kk281 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i usually consume about 200g of protein a day and unless you have advanced kidney disease or any other chronic kidney condition, being over on you protein won't hurt you as long as it is within your calorie goals and doesn't come with a highly increased fat count.
  • lifeisadancefloor
    lifeisadancefloor Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think it is fine, I am always over on my protein, my boyfriend says its fine too and tells me not to worry :)
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You can reset your goals. I think the carb/protein default ratio on MFP is a bit too low in the protein dept for anyone who is strength training. I reset mine to 40/35/25 (carb/protein/fat). I don't always hit my protein goal each day, but I come close. Good luck!!
  • bossymom
    bossymom Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    How do you reset the goals? I want to do that,but can't see how to do it? Thank you.
  • cie_g
    cie_g Posts: 2
    Options
    My home, then click goals top of page, then, change goals on bottom.
  • bossymom
    bossymom Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I can't believe I never saw that tab before. :/
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have wondered the same thing. I started working out with a trainer about 5 weeks ago and have been just under my calorie goal but over my protein every day since. I have lost several inches but only 4 lbs in 5 weeks. Maybe I am being unreasonable but I was hoping to lose 12 lbs by then end of my 6 weeks. I actually feel unsatisfied until do get some protein in me...
  • Eliza1980
    Eliza1980 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    thanks, lots of great answers on the other thread too. i won't worry so much now that i know i'm not the only one
  • Jennrz
    Jennrz Posts: 32
    Options
    I talked to my trainer about this as well and he said I was fine, that I need more protein due to the weight training.