Increasing for energy but will it cause gain

Hey MFP!
So I am currently not counting calories but using an exchange based meal plan provided to me a few months back by a nutritionist. I was raised by an anorexic mom and have eating disorder tendencies, so this just works better for me. Well, I had a recent move, then took on 3 jobs and full-time graduate school so can pursue my dream while supporting my mom and stepdad...and so my meal plan kind of went through a weird restructure as I tried to get in all my intake so as not to lose weight (currently in maintainaince mode for health reasons) but with a limited time and limited hunger. Here is what it ended up looking like

"B-fast" (usually added to lunch) 1/2 english muffin, 1 prune
Lunch: 3 starches, 1/4 cup tuna, 1 veg and fruit, 2 T sunflower seeds
Dinner: 4 starches, 1 bread item, 3-4 oz protein, 1 veg and fruit, 1 dairy
Snack: Oatmeal, banana, 18g almonds, yogurt
Snack: 350 calorie equivalent, 1 T PB, yogurt, fruit

Problem is this got me into a pattern of not eating anything till 5/6 pm on a good day and I am seeing it wear me down. So my idea was to make the b-fast more substantial by making the 1/2 english muffin into two starches so I can have things like cereal or granola bar, etc. Obviously I don't want to add a whole starch exchange as could cause weight gain (80 calories/day). So I was thinking of moving a dinner starch.

This entails another problem. I've kind of been skimping on dinner starch. First it was a real starch....then just became "I will add more potato to what I usually do" but then the adding started to dwindle and I started to say I was adding "calories" by adding truvia to my oatmeal or pepper to my potato (these things always counted as calories in my house growing up). So I guess my old ED behaviors snuck in. Anyway, I was thinking I could maybe try to increase the potatoes back up and see if that causes weight gain, then take these increased calories and do the b-fast switch. So would increasing by like 70g of potato (around 55-60 calories) PER DAY cause an increase in weight? Or would it just make me feel better and a whole lot less disordered?

I have re-entered therapy and see a doc, but neither can provide nutritional support and there are no nutrition services I can seek in the area (I have been looking since August). Thank you for your time.

Replies

• jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Anyone? I did increase the potatoes tonight and my stomach is beyond full
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I am sorry but it is a little confusing. What is the question? B)
    Are you asking if the 60 calories a day of potatoes will cause weight gain?
    When you make a change like that try it for two or weeks or so and then assess/evaluate.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    If you are currently losing weight in noticeable amounts, adding 60 calories won't make you gain weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Eat more food.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    I am currently maintaining and wondering if adding the 60 ish calories a day would cause weight gain basically.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    IF you are at the exact highest daily intake for maintenance, and adding those 60 calories creates a 60 calorie surplus it would take 58.33 days for those calories to add up to a pound of gain. However it is highly unlikely that you are at the exact number for maintenance, and you likely won't see any gain at all.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Eat more food.

TRUTH! I would commit murder at the amount your eating..... my kids would not be happy LOL