Has anybody tried walking as exercise?

Options
I am planning to brisk walk at least 2km for 45 mins, 3x a week involving ascending a 6 flr flight of stairs (6km/week) since it's the only possible exercise I can get from being a full time university student.

Currently my walking speed is 4mph, I want to lose a few lbs and then maintain it while doing a couple of strength exercises on the side. Does anybody have a tip on how I can have optimum results? Thanks! I'd run if I can but I always carry a 3-10kg backpack with me LOL

Has anybody tried walking as exercise? :D

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot (at least 10,000 steps a day) but I wouldn't rely on that as my only exercise.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I walk daily but I also lift weights.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I lost the last 60 lbs. with counting calories and very, very brisk walking (4.5 mph). Suggest you use a free smartphone app to log your walking using the built-in GPS. There are a lot that synchronize with MFP; I use Runkeeper.
  • gvhunterollie
    gvhunterollie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Walking and hiking (along with calorie deficit) is all I have been doing for the last 5 months and have lost almost 40 pounds.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I reached and maintained my lowest healthy weight while doing zero exercise besides walking. It was great. It's weight-bearing exercise (good for your bones), and burns a few calories but not enough to drive up hunger. 4mph is around the speed I was walking then, and trying to hit an hour a day. :)
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Between running and walking on an incline on the treadmill, I burn more calories walking on the incline.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot. Walking is great exercise. However I would also recommend that you do some kind of strength training to retain your muscle while you lose weight.
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Yes and I am seeing good results
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    that is where a lot of us started off and it is a great place to begin. hopefully as you get some more free time you can start to add other exercises or walk faster, turn it into a jog. Whatever works for you to get it going!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise although the calorie burn isn't as large as other exercises. Adding a vertical component (stairs) will definitely help.

Your numbers seem off though. If you walk at 4 MPH, which is pretty brisk, you'll do a lot more than 2 km in 45 minutes; it's more like 4.8 km.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I had WAY more free time to exercise and do whatever when I was a full time student than I do now as a semi-responsible adult.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I only walk in between my strength exercises. I do strength training usually 3 times a week, maybe once or twice I'll walk, just to get some extra calorie burn. But walking doesn't do much to build muscle, unfortunately.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Walking is great exercise although the calorie burn isn't as large as other exercises. Adding a vertical component (stairs) will definitely help.

Your numbers seem off though. If you walk at 4 MPH, which is pretty brisk, you'll do a lot more than 2 km in 45 minutes; it's more like 4.8 km.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I had WAY more free time to exercise and do whatever when I was a full time student than I do now as a semi-responsible adult.

So true. Plus back then I had access to a free gym with tons of equipment.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    That would be a decent level of aerobic exercise. Running burns a little more than walking. Walking on an incline usually burns more than running on flat surface. Honestly, you can lose weight without any exercise what-so-ever, however walking will burn some extra calories and is good for your heart health -- especially if it is a brisk walk.
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I lost 40+ pounds in high school with the help of WW and just walking around my neighborhood every evening.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a while but walking just isn't for me. My body responds better to HIIT type workouts.
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I try to "brisk" walk at least 2 miles a day and double up when I can. Ive lost 35 pounds with just walking and diet.
    At work Im sitting at a desk much of the time, I use my two 15 minute breaks and get a mile in each break.
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have agoraphobia so can't get out as much as other people but I find the Leslie Sansone walking exercises on YouTube useful.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Walking/hiking is my primary form of exercise. I lift 2 times a week when I'm feeling ambitious (usually less). I lost 66 lbs about three years ago and have kept it off ever since. Walking is enough to keep my doctor is happy with my labwork/tests. Walking is enough that I easily stay between 21-23% body fat. Walking is enough that I can keep up with my running friends if I decide I want to join them on a 5K for fun. Rarely does a day go by that I don't walk at least 5 miles over the course of the day. Lots of days I might walk 8, 10, even 15 miles. My consistent walking program keeps me fit enough that I can put on a heavy backpack and hike in the mountains all day without feeling exhausted.

So yes... walking is great exercise. And if you walk briskly over challenging terrain, it's enough exercise to maintain a pretty solid fitness level.
  • MiliOm
    MiliOm Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Walking is a fantastic way to start exercising, its good for your heart and if you are particularly heavy its not too hard on your joints plus its free you don't need to pay expensive gym fees to walk every day.

I brisk walk 8km 5 days a week early in the morning and I do strength exercise 3 times a week, I am a full time uni student and I also have a full time job.
    If you really want to exercise you can make time for it no matter what. Try to work on your timetable, I wake up at 5am then exercise for an hour and after that I either go to work or to uni, its all about time management and determination.

You can do it! ;)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Walking is great and all but if you are looking for optimal results your 45 minutes can be spent doing much more challenging forms of exercise.