has anyone been told they developed a hernia for being overweight?

Options
Hi guys!
I feel so alone at the moment. I went to the doctor with severr pain and he diagnosed me with a hernia and said it was due to me being overweight. Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey there, welcome to MFP!
    You are certainly not alone whilst here. There are so many people that are also setting themselves up and maintaining positive lifestyle changes that no matter what time you're online, you are joining many many others!

As for the hernia, I personally know very little about them but the below link will direct you to a website with further information regarding them. Although, it is always best to speak to a doctor or medical professional if you continue being in pain!
    Patient.co.uk page about Hernias

Happy new year, make 2015 your year!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I would definitely get a new doctor. Lots of people get hernias and they're not necessarily related. Welcome to MFP and good luck!
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    a lot of people are pre-disposed to having hernias meaning it is just the make up of their bodies that make them more susceptible for hernias to occur. The two that I am familiar with are umbilical hernias and inguinal hernias.

Umbilical hernias are caused when there is intra-articular pressure on the abdominal wall. This pressure can be caused by obesity, exerting heavy force when lifting, and/or pregnancy.

Inguinal hernias are more common in men (27% vs 3% of women) and are often caused when there is a heavy lifting event. These hernias can develop in people who are in shape and those who are not because many people are genetically pre-disposed. these hernias can occur in the right/left/both groin and is also caused by pressure (exerting force to lift for example).

in answer to your questions, yes, obesity can cause hernias and given your question, I am betting you have an umbilical hernia.
  • HollyVBomba
    HollyVBomba Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. Just recovered/recovering from umbilical hernia repair. Pretty sure I got mine from lifting at the gym. Though other factors may have contributed..
  • kieran_78
    kieran_78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would echo other comments here.

I had a hernia for years, but it really only started to get painful to the extent that surgery was required recently after I lost weight. In my case, inguinal hernia seems to run in the family. If you have it, best get surgery to fix it (I had surgery last Monday).

Get a new Doctor