when to weigh?

Options
Hi Everyone, How often do you guys weigh yourself and is it smart to weigh first thing in the morning without clothes? I find if I weigh everyday I get obsessed and disapointed but if I weigh weekly I'm not motivated.

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    When ( frequency ) isn't as important as how. Consistency is the key.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, first thing in morning. Daily fluctuations do not bother me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That is the best situation, yes. How often you do it is personal preference...I weigh daily and see how the fluctuations are affecting the number, but I don't let it get to me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week on the same day, first thing in the morning
  • shaunsmoot
    shaunsmoot Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    An article that I read a while back from Jillian micheals said to weigh yourself 1x per week on the same day & same time each week. This will be more accurate in your true weight loss.
  • livrerie
    Options
    There's no scale in my house, so I don't weigh myself often. However, if I find happen a scale casually placed in the corner of my friend or grandma's bathroom I'll probably take advantage. When you choose to step on the scale is a very personal decision and you should do what motivates you most. If you are going to be weighting yourself daily just make sure to remember that weight fluctuates everyday!
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily - every morning I the buff after visiting the toilet. Even doing that's weight jumps around all over the place because my body likes to hoard water!

I do it this way because it means I see the new low weights I get to - and that keeps me going. If I only weighed weekly I'd often miss those lows - and would probably suffer motivation wise. Other people can't handle the fluctuations - and so weigh themselves much less often.

So there are two things here - pick a frequency that works for you. Then be consistent about how - same set of scales, wear the same clothes, at the same time of day (there's no point comparing a morning weight to an evening one), and with comparable food levels (no point weighing yourself on an empty stomach one day - then after 3 courses the next).

In addition to all of that accept that your weight is not a static thing. Time of the month, salt intake and exercise all impact on mine massively. I look for a downward trend - I don't expect to see new lows every day / week.
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week on the same day and first thing in the morning. During my journey of up & down weight loss, I experienced a time where I would weigh everyday or every two days...the inconsistencies (due to weight fluctuations) just made me upset and discouraged. I KNEW better, I just didn't FEEL better. I can't let my weight rule me so once a week is what I am trying to stick to!
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    every morning,same scale, no clothes, before I start the day.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You'll get the most consistent weight if you weigh first thing in the morning, after you empty your bladder. I usually weigh once a week, because I don't really care what I weigh at any given time, as long as I'm making progress.
  • a_gerisch
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate your input :)
  • Familyguyfan2390
    Familyguyfan2390 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Every morning after using the bathroom and doing some bodybuilding poses in the mirror for comedic effect. It's when you're going to weigh your lightest during the day (assuming you slept a normal 6-8 hours, and didn't just wake up an hour after a long night of drinking)
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Every morning after I went in the toilet. This way I can see the differences in losing weight on workdays or on free days.
  • deniztuzu2
    deniztuzu2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning but take the number of one day of the week(Sunday) as a reference point to my weight loss progress.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh every two to three days. But i like to see the ups and downs after seeing those charts people have showing up and down trends.
    I have recently tried to remember to weigh daily our twice daily to put on the trend tracker "Libra" app.
  • chelsmaee7
    chelsmaee7 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I personally step on the scale almost every time I go into the bathroom just because it's such a habit but I've learned that when I see the scale go up through the day that it isn't my true weight. Most people seem to weigh themselves in the morning without clothes after they go to the bathroom. Some do it every day, some do it only on the same day every week. For some reason I've noticed that I often weigh less before I go to bed which is the opposite of most people. Weighing myself daily has helped me notice the differences in how what I eat affects my weight though.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @chelsmaee7, yeah me too. I weigh less in the evenings. That's one of the reasons I begin to weigh myself more often.
  • chelsmaee7
    chelsmaee7 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    @chelsmaee7, yeah me too. I weigh less in the evenings. That's one of the reasons I begin to weigh myself more often.

I wonder why that is for some of us!? I rarely see people that weigh less at night.. Maybe not as many people weigh themselves at night so they just don't notice it?
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly. Thursday mornings.