Weight loss supplements

Options
I have started taking some weight loss supplements to help with my appetite while I begin my weight loss effort. I did some reading, as well as read lots of reviews, and I am taking green coffee bean, garcinia cambogia, raspberry ketones, and CLA. Does anyone have experience with these specific ingredients? I started taking them yesterday and I seem to notice I am full quicker and not craving to binge as much, but I know it can take a few days for them to really start working.

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    The active ingredient in all of those supplement is " a desire to take the easy way"

If you want to lose fat I suggest you redouble the effort you put into researching supplements and read these 10 chapters.
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/

I promise you , nothing to buy on that link. Just the truth.
  • SincerelySasquatch
    SincerelySasquatch Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking for an easy way, just a slightly less difficult way. God, I can't remember the name of that chemical. One of the chemicals that causes fullness misfires when you are obese like me and it takes a lot more food to feel full. I just want to feel full after eating a small or regular size meal instead of having to binge until I feel sick in order to feel full.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    yeah about half of those ingredients were confirmed to not effect weight loss in any way about a month ago. The best you can do is consistently work out and hit your calories and macros. I know its not easy and not fun, but I promise it works, every single time. It may not be the quick way but it definitely works. Just do it the natural way and I know you will feel better and look better before you know it! plus there is a certain sense of pride when you know you put in so much work to get the body youve always wanted
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Magic pills do nothing for weight loss. Eat right and get some movement in.
  • SincerelySasquatch
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am calorie counting and exercising, I am "doing the work" I just want to feel full like a normal person does. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and treadmilling for 20 minutes, 5 times a week. Once my heart and lungs get in slightly better shape I will increase that to 30 minutes, work my way up to running.
  • earthdog722
    Options
    I have heard that Raspberry ketones are good. It takes 21 days to make something a habit. Hang in there!
  • SincerelySasquatch
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks for understanding. I know there is no magic pill that makes you lose weight, I just want some help with my appetite to make the diet a little more bearable. Ever since I became obese my appetite has been out of control. Also the chemical I was thinking of is Glucagon, one of many satiety chemicals that begins misfiring around the time you reach obesity.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am calorie counting and exercising, I am "doing the work" I just want to feel full like a normal person does. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and treadmilling for 20 minutes, 5 times a week. Once my heart and lungs get in slightly better shape I will increase that to 30 minutes, work my way up to running.

Part I: I used to be 300 pounds, and I would eat easily 3000 to 4000 calories a day before I started reducing. You will feel hungry, but eventually normal amounts of food will feel normal, and you won't. It sucks, but I promise you don't need anything more than time to achieve that.

Part II: You're eating way, way too little. I started at 2100 calories, and lost weight consistently at 1900 calories and exercised rarely. (I'm so, so lazy.) I still eat 1700 to lose, and maintain somewhere in the 2000s.

I'm really worried that you're not eating enough and exercising your way into a burnout. Take it slow. Get in touch with your body and your feelings about food (if food is an emotional issue for you; it was/is for me). It's a slower route, but a lot more sustainable.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Okay well for one thing, 1,200 calories a day is nowhere near enough to eat. If you're going to lose weight successfully, you need to eat just enough to stay satisfied without going overboard.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I use this calculator and have lost 20 pounds. I'm close to my goal weight so it's slow, but it works and I don't feel hungry.

Supplements are a waste of time and money. Just eat food, it's really a lot better for you anyway.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    1200 calories and 5x week exercise and you're hungry? Yep, you're normal; that's a very aggressively low calorie goal. With the amount of weight you're looking to lose, I'm guessing you could eat far more than that and still lose at a respectable pace (bonus: far less difficult and better fuel for your body).
  • SincerelySasquatch
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The problem is that calorie calculators aren't accurate for me. I think I ruined my metabolism when I was anorexic as a teenager. After anorexia I was a healthy weight for a while, when I was 5'5 and 140 lbs I was on a strict 1500 calorie diet to maintain my weight. Calorie calculators said my metabolism should have been higher than that.

Isn't 1,200 calories a healthy calorie goal? I thought it was the lowest calorie goal you could go without a doctor's supervision.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Snake Oil and Quackery.

Why would you waste hard earned money?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately, you've wasted your money. ALL of the supplements you listed/bought have ZERO proven benefits. I understand where you're coming from, but unfortunately, these supplements are not going to help you.

You don't have to be starving or miserable to lose weight. If you're feeling that way, you may need to re-evaluate your calorie goal. You said you're eating 1200 calories and exercising. Are you eating your exercise calories back? If not, you should be eating at least a portion of those back. Make sure that 1200 calories is actually appropriate for your weight/height/age/etc.

Again, you don't have to be miserable to lose weight.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SincerelySasquatch
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I figured I was wasting my money when I bought them, but I figured I would try them. And I am still going to take them since I bought them, if for no other reason than because the green coffee bean ingredient gives me some energy. No, I am not eating my exercise calories back. I find stricter diets are easier to folllow than more lenient ones. Maybe it's remnants of the eating disorder issues. I find it easier to stay motivated on very strict diets. Losing weight quickly also helps keep me motivated.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    The problem is that calorie calculators aren't accurate for me. I think I ruined my metabolism when I was anorexic as a teenager. After anorexia I was a healthy weight for a while, when I was 5'5 and 140 lbs I was on a strict 1500 calorie diet to maintain my weight. Calorie calculators said my metabolism should have been higher than that.

Isn't 1,200 calories a healthy calorie goal? I thought it was the lowest calorie goal you could go without a doctor's supervision.

If even it were the case (that you damaged yourself, which I doubt, but I'm no doctor), certainly eating at a severe restriction and taking questionable (and potentially gravely harmful) pills won't improve that. If anything, you're only going to do more harm and cause yourself defeat trying to maintain an unrealistic and overly difficult path.

Why not at least give an honest go at a reasonable intake? A solid 6-8 weeks of accurate and honest food logging, moderate exercise (which you've got down pat already, as it sounds), and then assess after that. I guarantee that honoring your body and nourishing it well is the BEST thing you can for yourself.
  • SincerelySasquatch
    Options
    what calorie intake would you suggest? MFP's app suggests like 1350 calories a day for 2 lbs/week weight loss.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I figured I was wasting my money when I bought them, but I figured I would try them. And I am still going to take them since I bought them, if for no other reason than because the green coffee bean ingredient gives me some energy. No, I am not eating my exercise calories back. I find stricter diets are easier to folllow than more lenient ones.

It's not about being strict. It's about properly fueling your body. You're not properly fueling your body and making yourself miserable. It's not sustainable. If it's not sustainable, then you're not going to lose the weight you want or reach your goals.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The Dr. Oz panacea of weight loss shenanigans which he had to admit did not pass scientific muster in his Congressional testimony. Congratulations, you padded somebody's wallet with your purchases of absolute junk.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If your apatite is to much to bear for a given calorie intake/deficit I would reevaluate your goals and start with something less aggressive until you get to where you can tolerate the discomfort. Add in more aggressive deficits as tolerated along the way. Many people who start a new fat reduction journey go from a calorie surplus to a large deficit and find the change is to dramatic in one step and have to accelerate slower then others by breaking it down into a few smaller steps.
    Nothing wrong with being a little bit hungry but jumping from a slight calorie surplus to a large calorie deficit is a big first step. As they say, baby steps. You gotta learn to walk before you can run.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP I tried all of the supps you listed. And not one helped with weight loss :( Like you said, finish taking them and then concentrate 100% on a healthy eating and exercise plan.
    Also I recommend working out what your tdee is, then come back here with your numbers and go from there