Understanding the Mental Aspects of weight loss

Options
The greater part of winning this battle is understanding why we do what we do. For example "Why am i eating something I shouldn't" Learning to focus and being in control of your thoughts and actions helps. Knowing what stressers are effecting your eating is just as important as what you eat. We gain weight when things are out of control. Now it's time to take back control and learn to live healthy. Keeping a thought journal helps me. What helps you?

Replies

• kathyw731
    kathyw731 Posts: 22
    Options
    When I feel "out of control" or approaching it, I have a conversation wtih myself about what is going on in the moment and remind myself that food won't change it. I tell myself things like, "I will be dissapointed in myself if I give into that type of behavior" or "that food won't taste near as good as the joy I feel from being this size and wearing clothes that make me feel attractive". That usually helps me. A thought journal sounds like a good idea to. Thanks for the post.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    What helps me is knowing that I do what I want simply because I can. Whether it's destructive or constructive to my own body, I make informed, willing decisions to do so. And since I excel at producing negativity, I'm just as excellent at producing positivity.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    lovingly bumped for tomorrow.......

thank you for posting and bringing up such an important topic. :flowerforyou:
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Great idea! A thought journal..makes sense that we are tracking our food..why not our thoughts surrounding the entire process. I realized something today when I was in the grocery store..actually in front of the baked goods...I talk to myself..and talk myself out of buying certain things. Some things are easy..others are hard...thanks for the terrific post....and great idea!
  • wendywasj
    wendywasj Posts: 16
    Options
    I had to throw away every kind of unhealthy foods in my house before I even began losing any weight. If I don't have it here I can't eat it :) It took some getting used to, what with craving sweets and not having any to appease the cravings. It took a lot of mental exercise (meditation, prayer, family support & strength of will) to finally let chewing gum and herb tea take the place of jelly beans and caramel creams.
  • AEisele
    AEisele Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well, I was able to go to a two parties and stay away for the cake! I think I might be making progress. I didn't miss it at all. I just had to remind myself that I see my doctor in July and I don't want to take more meds. It really does take alot of self talk. And sometimes you have to shut out the voices of well intended friends who say, "It's a special occation, a little wont hurt" It's my life I'm fighting for! So I have to take control and responsability.