Depression and weight loss

Options
Anybody else out there battling depression? I'm having a hard time lately and it's really affecting my health.

Logically, I know exercising, eating better, and losing weight can all help with my feelings. I know exercise is a natural antidepression. I know it's as simple as deciding to do something as simple as starting by going for a nightly walk.
But this depression is making it hard for me to do much of anything. I'm already on antidepressants and seeing a therapist. I've made goals. I've tried to change my attitude and my outlook. Anytime I start feeling better something happens and I feel myself slide back down and any progress I've made regresses.

I'm looking for any advice, motivation, or support I can get.

Replies

• rileylovesarchie
    rileylovesarchie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I suffer from both depression and anxiety, and I understand your issues. Eating healthy and exercising I don't find to help me, but I do find the results of a better looking me and slightly higher self esteem can help. On the downside, I think my mental health issues bring about a lot of all-or-nothing type thinking that makes any tiny mistake seem like this big epic failure.
    Overall, I find working out a lot much more helpful than copious amounts of therapy in my experience. It feels like I am doing something to help myself, whereas therapy just seems like ruminating in my thoughts which I know is just a really dark road to go down.

My outlook changes everyday and I try to just remember that this is what I want most, and not force myself to be positive but just think of myself instead as a warrior beating depression and beating ill physical health as well.
  • dogwalk
    dogwalk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    1day at a time,make small goals surround yourself with friends getout ofthe house may be the gym or fitness class
    Kacie_88 wrote: »
    Anybody else out there battling depression? I'm having a hard time lately and it's really affecting my health.

Logically, I know exercising, eating better, and losing weight can all help with my feelings. I know exercise is a natural antidepression. I know it's as simple as deciding to do something as simple as starting by going for a nightly walk.
    But this depression is making it hard for me to do much of anything. I'm already on antidepressants and seeing a therapist. I've made goals. I've tried to change my attitude and my outlook. Anytime I start feeling better something happens and I feel myself slide back down and any progress I've made regresses.

Kacie_88 wrote: »

• stargazr24
    stargazr24 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I feel you. I know how hard it is to get motivated. Some days even getting out of bed is a challenge. Because I know how difficult it is for me, I've signed up for the nutrimost program. The weight comes off fast, but it's expensive. That's one of the things that's keeping me from cheating. I've lost 13 lbs in 15 days. You talk to your Dr everyday and I've found a great support group on Facebook. You can do it but it's not easy.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Remember to get some sun as well (vitamin D = happiness).

Maybe consider seeing a naturopathic doctor as well for additional wellness advice. Mine really helps me.
  • ryanlee77
    ryanlee77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    hang in there can totally relate .. diagnosed with panic disorder years ago been on and off ssris. since 22 years old.. im a social wack job when i stop taking them . but find it easy to lose weight .. catch 22
  • AliluniqueLaura
    AliluniqueLaura Posts: 43 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have had depression, anxiety disorder and panic attacks for ever. I take 3 prescriptions daily.

I joined MFP to get healthier and lose some weight. In the 24 days I have been here; I learned about vitamin d3, healthy food choices and how to weigh food. When I started I was so tired, I could barely walk in my yard.

Now I can work out for over an hour daily. I hold my head high at the gym. I take my dog for longer walks. I know I will always need meds, but if I can feel like this from a vitamin, yummy food, and exercise I am all for it. Losing 11 pounds is like a bonus. You can do it!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I do feel like exercise helps with my depression. I'm going through a ton at the moment, too, and it does tend to clear my head and give me something to check of the list which really motivates me. I think it's also important to find an exercise that helps you lose yourself just for a little while. For me, it's cycling. When I hop on my bike, I feel free and happy! It's my therapy for sure.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I can't really offer any advice, just sympathy. I can't keep my anxiety and depression in check without more-or-less-daily exercise. My physical health has an enormous impact on my mental health, and vice versa. I just got through a year where I turned waaay too frequently and heavily to alcohol instead of fitness, and now I'm working to take those pounds back off. But I do feel like I have my self-respect back, and I don't wake up with anxiety attacks at 3am every single morning anymore, or want to drink to make my problems "go away" anymore.
  • aml907
    aml907 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I've been battling depression myself for over half my lifetime. I've been on different meds for years, and the ones I just started in Dec have caused me to gain over 15 lbs in a month. Talk about a self esteem killer! I can definitely relate to the lack of motivation to exercise and eat healthy. I always find it helpful to have someone (or multiple people!) to report my daily progress to, whether it be IRL or here on MFP. It's just nice to have someone rooting for you. :smile:
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. Though those words are easy to read, it's another thing to FEEL that to be true. I feed my depression, I feed my reasons for not making healthy choices, and still doing that even though I've lost 50, 18 since using MFP. If taking it day by day even becomes too much, take it hour by hour. One of the tools I find to work is calming oils, holy basil, a few drops on a cotton ball and sniff and presto! Anxiety and "hunger" gone. I wish you a good day!